Moonkin nerf

90 Worgen Druid
In response to our t16 4peice being horrible and instead of fixing it, blizz decided to nerf our shooting stars procs.

-Shooting Stars You have a 30% chance when you deal critical periodic damage with your Moonfire or Sunfire to instantly reset the cooldown of your Starsurge and cause its next cast within 12 sec to be instant. Druid - Balance Spec. This chance is reduced against multiple targets. Druid - Balance Spec.-

-Getting nerfed so our teir set bonus looks more appealing is like poking your eyes out so you cant see how bad your sunglasses look.

Thoughts? Comments fellow moonkin.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Little pissed, to say the least. They changed our 4pc to proc our Shooting Stars now but, in turn they're nerfing Shooting Stars? wtf is the point of that. Now i'll proc SS even less in PvP. :/
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
it really feels like the 4 piece bonus and this change are at odds. I'm pretty grumpy about it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
I don't even play a moonkin, and I feel bad for you. It's kind of like where WW and Feral are at on live with RoRo. We absolutely need it to be good, but instead of making us good without it, and nerfing the trinket, they nerf us, and keep the trinket as is.

But with Starsurge being such a large part of your damage, now you are going to be absolutely awful unless you have it. It was the tier that needed to be nerfed, not the class. Every Boomkin has starsurge, but not every boomkin will have the tier set.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
every patch moonkin become more worst for arena, please balance spec without destroy us for pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Every Boomkin has starsurge, but not every boomkin will have the tier set.

Aka, PvP Moonkins are !@#$ out of luck next patch.

Why bring a moonkin to RBGs when they can't even dot for as many SS procs and kill the called target, right? lol By that point i'm better off Symb w/ a Shaman and purging the target instead of doing damage or anything useful. :P Herp derp.

Even with the amount of crit chance for Starsurge, PvP Moonkins especially still don't have nearly as much crit as raiding Moonkins so SS procs aren't constantly back-to-back. While i'm sure we'll be critting like crazy in raids, I see this as a huge nerf for both aspects but even more-so for pvp boomies.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
every patch moonkin become more worst for arena, please balance spec without destroy us for pvp.

Wondered when someone was going to mention how much this blows, especially for RBGs. This further confirms what I have been saying in several threads that the balance PVP set is actually the PVE set.

I have a shadow priest and balance druid that I pvp with, first they killed the shadow priest, now they are doing their best to take down the balance druid as well. Guess I can't catch a break, at least I will have the premiere healing specs available to me next season.
Edited by Anàkou on 8/13/2013 8:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Oh the life of a balance druid...

I guess the 4 piece is a little more attractive, but it's still an unwarranted nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
they are working on number pass. Almost everyone got nerfed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
From what I have seen with Phil, mine, and our other druid's (darkarctic) damage in raids this change just seems like a direct nerf to multi dotting.

Single target damage already puts moonkin at the middle of the road and multi-dotting was the only real area where moonkin could compete for best damage if they were skilled at doing so.

Why have a current 4 piece (8% additive ss proc) that is arguably worse than the current tier 15 4 piece in terms of the number of starsurge procs we get. Then on top of that starsurge procs are reduced with multiple targets?

It would be nice to see a clarification as to why this change was made since nothing was mentioned in the watercooler about it, yet the build rolled out the same day of the watercooler.

Also does the reduction start above 1 target, 2? What are the specifics? If it's anything above 3 or 4 (okay maybe I can give you that), but if it's anything above one target this change is a straight nerf to the only area where moonkin truly excel.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Every Boomkin has starsurge, but not every boomkin will have the tier set.

So poetic.

Yeah those poor poor pvp moonkin. A pve nerf really hurting a pvp spec that is already hurting.

I'm really trying to understand the reasoning behind this and the only thing I can think of is that blizz is really trying to force the 4peice set bonus.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
they are working on number pass. Almost everyone got nerfed.

This isn't a regular nerf though, it affects our effectiveness as a multidot class.
Also gimps pvp moonkins because they aren't going to use the 4pc PvE set for pvp.

Not to mention they even nerfed our 4pc from 20% to 8% chance recently. If they didn't want us to use Starsurge so bad, why did they make our class so dependent on the damage from it?

Starsurge is almost always one of my top damaging spells.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Starsurge is almost always my top damaging spells.
fify
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Blizz hates Boomkins. The only thing that's surprising is that the rest of you haven't accepted your reality.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Blizz hates Boomkins. The only thing that's surprising is that the rest of you haven't accepted your reality.

I've realized this a while ago.
Its just wondering how long they are going to hold on for.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm really curious to see how the reduction operates. Will it scale the more targets we dot, or will it hold steady at >1 targets. Also, how big of a loss are we talking about here? 1%? 5%? More? Less? Also, will the reduced chance apply to all targets or will it look more like this:

target 1 - 30% chance on dot-crit to proc SS
target 2 - 25% chance on dot-crit to proc SS
target 3 - 20% chance on dot-crit to proc SS

and if it is some manner of the above, when dots on target 1 end, do the other targets move up in the order? What about refreshing dots? There are a lot of ways that this could work, some less 'nerfing' than others.

I'm not going to complain about it until we have more information, but I will say that it seems completely unnecessary, and any nerf to SS will negatively affect moonkin pvp (specifically arena). In arena, and for the most part RBG's, Mookin are relegated to dotting and waiting for a SS proc. It's rare that we have an opportunity to cast our primary nukes (plenty of reasons for this - long cast times, limited aoe CC, relatively squishy etc).

Now, I'm betting that no matter what system is used to reduce the %, we'll still get more SS procs from multi-dotting, but the question is - how many compared to the current build?

Regarding the 4pc set bonus - I get that the 20% buff was too much... in testing it, wrath and starfire became just this side of obsolete on anything over a single target fight. But the 8% doesn't seem to be too far out of line; yes we use SS more, but not so much more that we can abandon our usual nukes.

As many have noted above, this nerf feels a bit like we're getting punished just in case we get the 4pc bonus... which does seem a bit off. Perhaps instead of using the 4pc to increase our SS, you could consider giving it an alternate Shooting Stars bonus... say, 10% chance on wrath to make the next wrath instant cast, 15% chance on starfire to make the next starfire instant cast. Or something like that, giving us the same dmg output desired - but without the need to nerf the multi-dotting aspect of the class.
Reply Quote
34 Night Elf Priest
08/13/2013 09:03 AMPosted by Shivitsarogu
Blizz hates Boomkins.

I think they hate hybrids period.

In their perfect world no one would be playing a DPS spec'd hybrid. They want them to only be healers and warlocks/mages to comprise 90% of the dps with rogues and hunters sprinkling the rest of them.
Reply Quote
10 Troll Warlock
I was surprised they didn't remove the spec when they added Guardian.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We made this change because, even without the Tier 16 4-piece bonus, we felt that Balance multidotting was too strong. On top of that, with enough mobs available, the Balance rotation was devolving into just Moonfire/Sunfire and spamming Starsurge constantly, to the point of completely ignoring Wrath and Starfire.

The way this works under the hood is by multiplying the base proc chance by SQRT(x)/x, where x is the number of mobs that have Moonfire or Sunfire active. Note that the proc chances are calculated per spell – Moonfire doesn’t count against Sunfire’s proc chance, or vice versa. So as an example, if the base chance is 30%, and you have Sunfire active on 1 mob but Moonfire active on 3, your Sunfire will have a 30% chance to proc Starsurge on a crit, and your Moonfires will each have a 17% chance.

As an aside, this didn’t make the latest PTR push, but we’ll be buffing Wrath, Starfire, and Starfall by 10%.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
We made this change because, even without the Tier 16 4-piece bonus, we felt that Balance multidotting was too strong. On top of that, with enough mobs available, the Balance rotation was devolving into just Moonfire/Sunfire and spamming Starsurge constantly, to the point of completely ignoring Wrath and Starfire.

The way this works under the hood is by multiplying the base proc chance by SQRT(x)/x, where x is the number of mobs that have Moonfire or Sunfire active. Note that the proc chances are calculated per spell – Moonfire doesn’t count against Sunfire’s proc chance, or vice versa. So as an example, if the base chance is 30%, and you have Sunfire active on 1 mob but Moonfire active on 3, your Sunfire will have a 30% chance to proc Starsurge on a crit, and your Moonfires will each have a 17% chance.

As an aside, this didn’t make the latest PTR push, but we’ll be buffing Wrath, Starfire, and Starfall by 10%.

Good change, thank you Lore.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]