disc priest- do you need to DPS?

90 Night Elf Druid
im currently a lvl 29 spriest want to switch to disc never played disc before but have played holy back in bc and was wondering is atonment healing a MUST? i am not the type to dps and heal at the same time. i like to just do one. so is it possible for a disc priest to heal without having to go atonment healing or is atonment healing a must for disc priest.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Well it's a 25% healing buff (or whatever it is now), so that's up to you if you want it or not.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Yes, Atonement healing is a must. I mean, unless you like doing subpar healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It is probably possible, but you're gimping yourself to not do it.

At low levels it's not as much of a big deal, but healing is so easy at lower levels I don't know what I would have done on my disc priests if I wasn't dpsing :P

If you're not wanting to DPS at all, go holy.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
yea low levels is not the problem im speaking mainly of end game. seeing as it is needed i think i will either go holy or try and learn the rotation and hope i can get it down.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
You'll want to use Evangelism-generating spells enough to use Archangel fairly frequently as it's an important buff for Discipline.

You don't need to rely heavily on Atonement healing to do well as Discipline, you can get by with varying amounts of smite spam.

try and learn the rotation and hope i can get it down.

There isn't a rotation unless you're trying to maximize your dps output, which isn't necessary. Mostly you want to use Penance Holy Fire or Solace on cooldown. If you use a lot of friendly-target penance you can weave in a smite or two.
You can use a macro like /cast [@target,harm][@mouseovertarget,harm][] Holy Fire
Edited by Evry on 8/13/2013 2:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's really not that complicated :D

I kinda dpsing to heal, it gives me something to do during the downtime of people not taking much damage.

And of course you can always bug us on the forums for help :p
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
It is probably possible, but you're gimping yourself to not do it.

At low levels it's not as much of a big deal, but healing is so easy at lower levels I don't know what I would have done on my disc priests if I wasn't dpsing :P

If you're not wanting to DPS at all, go holy.

Aside from that, holy is FAR more forgiving gear wise at lower levels and gear levels. Besides, Disc is kinda looking like old news at the moment, Holy is looking like the way to go, if not for 5.4 than certainly by the end of it.

Damn you CHAKRA. Ugh.

P.S. a little bitter at how much easier it was to do gold proving grounds as holy than disc. And I don't play holy NEARLY as often. :-/

But yea, you do dps a good bit as Disc, although you can get away with only 5 casts per archangel. It's not too bad, really.
Edited by Rauri on 8/13/2013 2:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]