Battlefield: Barrens Ending Soon

(Locked)

100 Human Priest
PVP titles and mounts being character specific are meant to show that you may be baller in pvp as a warlock but as a druid in PVP you might be rubbish. So basically you earn your PVP rewards on your toon because which toon you play makes a difference.

Grinding mobs for meat and sticks doesn't much make a difference which toon you are on even if it is my really crappy mage for instance.

People have been commenting from the beginning of MOP that it is extremely alt unfriendly. This is another step in that direction.

Also saying that players have sufficient notice that the Barrens "event" is ending are only thinking about the players that read forums or MMO champion the majority of the player base do not participate here nor do they have any idea that it is planned to come to an end abruptly. Blizzard has said time and again that the vocal majority is still a major minority when it comes to presence 8-10 million people playing with maybe 1/10th of that being active in the community outside the game itself. So yes it is short notice as it was not stated previously this content would just go away with the next patch.

Playstyles have also changed considerably more often I see people come and go. Players used to log in every day and be really active on my own server and in my own guild we see some players log in once and not log in again for a few weeks. It would be a poor experience to have those people on the fence about continuing to play when something they may have been working towards is simply no longer available. You cannot compare a content patch with a planned event like the opening of the dark portal or the zombie event that were events leading to a new expansion.
90 Human Warlock
What gets me is that the mojo is the same as Chaos Orbs, Frozen Orbs that also were BOP then went BOE.

So others didnt stockpile them, many others didnt have chaos orbs either. Now they can buy them.
90 Tauren Monk
Agree to disagree? I have my Tabard of the Protector on a single character, and I'll always cherish that item, and remember that I was there for the Burning Crusade launch with that specific character. She was there, she stepped through the portal at midnight, and that's not some generic reward all my characters have. I can see the appeal of having that available to all my characters, but personally I quite like that the character itself has a history, and has individual accomplishments, rather than everything I do being given to every new character I make.

Achievements, titles, mounts, and so on should be account-wide.

Toys and items such as your Tabard of the Protector (which I also have), make more sense being character-specific. I'd argue they should all be account-wide, but I'm willing to compromise.

Is it really so bad to just have a simple title be account-wide? If most of them are going to be, what is the point of throwing around exceptions left and right?

This isn't even a PvP reward, so you can't toss out that paper-thin excuse like you have been since the announcement of account-wide mounts and titles.
100 Human Paladin
Now that I think about it, it wasn't so long ago that Bashiok was on our side....
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657436812?page=17

We do agree that the restriction to the specific characters that earned those titles kind of sucks. It’s the player that earned those items, really, not any specific character. If we had a way to make them account-wide right now, we would. We can’t, but account-wide achievements are planned for Mists of Pandaria, and we hope to be able to include Feats of Strength with that system, which would open up these items to all characters on that player's account.
Edited by Thorvath on 8/30/2013 7:32 PM PDT
91 Goblin Shaman
Agree to disagree? I have my Tabard of the Protector on a single character

I have mine on a couple characters. Point? Those came out before achievements, and before account-wide achievements. So, yeah, pretty much a terrible argument there. Pointing to something unique on a character that was removed from the game years before account-wide achievements became standard makes no kind of point in this situation. I'm sorry.

Now, if you can point to a PvE title you have, that came out after account-wide title achievements were made the norm, that only works on a per character basis, acquired though a comparable process (grinding, questing, grinding, oh and grinding), maybe I'd be more able to agree to disagree.
Edited by Spanner on 8/30/2013 7:48 PM PDT
100 Tauren Druid
I totally get that not everyone is going to care about building a legacy of experience with each character, and they just want everything to be account-wide, but obviously there are others that appreciate that being at a point in the history of the game with a specific character leaves some kind of lasting mark on that character.

Just thought I'd chime in... don't you think its a little silly that I could roll a new character with whatever race/class you may come up with in the next expansion, and that character would be able to have access to things like the vampiric batling (WotLK launch event), or if I had it the Amani Warbear (original ZA), or even use Champions of the Naaru/Hand of A'dal titles (removed with WotLK), and yet he/she would never be able to use a simple quest title like Darkspear Revolutionary/Hordebreaker. Saying that sort of thing represents and individual history rings a little hollow when as a general rule, that is not the practice that is followed for pretty much everything else. (Another example is the AQ Scepter chain... or the black bug mount for those that were lucky enough to get one; the achievement and/or mount show up/are usable on the entire account).

Its obviously not gamebreaking if this title is not accountwide, but it seems very silly, especially since nothing comparable is really that restricted. You just happened to pick a tabard for your example -- none of which are accountwide (though we don't know the details of the long teased tabard storage!). Titles, generally, are.
100 Tauren Druid
Now, if you can point to a PvE title you have, that came out after account-wide title achievements were made the norm, that only works on a per character basis, acquired though a comparable process (grinding, questing, grinding, oh and grinding), maybe I'd be more able to agree to disagree.

Brawler
Blessed Defender of Nordrassil
Slayer of Stupid, Incompetent and Disappointing Minions
Gob Squad Commando
Gob Squad Recruit

You didn't specify whether you could keep it or not.
Edited by Seiryu on 8/30/2013 10:10 PM PDT
90 Human Warlock

is temporary only
100 Tauren Druid

is temporary only

Doesn't matter, it still fits the criteria in the quote.
90 Human Paladin
It's a shame this event isn't staying for the upcoming Connected Realms. It could have greatly benefited from a bigger population as this event is very reliant on grouping. Barrens in this server, for instance, remained quite "barren" despite the rewards, vanity or not, that this event contained.

It's quite a contrast from the much more enjoyable experience I had in another server I play on, that has a greater population of players.
91 Human Paladin
I've always wondered why you guys bother making them achievements in the first place and not just FoS from the get go. Just doesn't make any sense and makes points go bye bye
90 Night Elf Death Knight
It's a shame this event isn't staying for the upcoming Connected Realms. It could have greatly benefited from a bigger population as this event is very reliant on grouping. Barrens in this server, for instance, remained quite "barren" despite the rewards, vanity or not, that this event contained.

It's quite a contrast from the much more enjoyable experience I had in another server I play on, that has a greater population of players.

I've actually done the solo approach to this because my realm in general is very "barren", thank goodness most my toons have the ability to tank or kite like a boss for maximum profit. It wasnt out of choice but for some reason most players stayed away from a possible wpvp hotspot.
90 Goblin Warlock
08/30/2013 04:28 PMPosted by Bashiok
Vanity rewards that reflect the achievements of the player should follow the player, not simply be restricted to a character that may very well be set aside one day.

Agree to disagree? I have my Tabard of the Protector on a single character, and I'll always cherish that item, and remember that I was there for the Burning Crusade launch with that specific character. She was there, she stepped through the portal at midnight, and that's not some generic reward all my characters have. I can see the appeal of having that available to all my characters, but personally I quite like that the character itself has a history, and has individual accomplishments, rather than everything I do being given to every new character I make.

I totally get that not everyone is going to care about building a legacy of experience with each character, and they just want everything to be account-wide, but obviously there are others that appreciate that being at a point in the history of the game with a specific character leaves some kind of lasting mark on that character.

I read: "Bashiok does not want account-bound one-time-only items for his characters, therefore, all WoW players are subjected to Bashiok's personal desires."

You seem to dismiss individual players that might have their own recollections of their toons' histories, and that account-bound achievements and items will be a quality of life improvement for many players (see also: storage space). I remember which toon got Hand of A'dal yet I can use that title on any qualifying character, so why not the Barrens titles? Perhaps when the next expansion/raid cycle begins?
100 Undead Warlock
While I totally understand the concept of character legacy, I feel like it should only regard what you do, not when you happened to do it. Could you imagine if we stretched this concept to anything beyond items or achievements? "Oh, what's that? You didn't play in WotLK? Guess you can't roll a death knight, then. Only whatever one you rolled in that era of the game is what you're able to actually play with."

This doesn't consequently mean I want a level 90 death knight just because I reached level 90 on a different character. But could you imagine if the ability to reach that level was removed simply because of when I played the game, or with which character? Sure, we can put forth the argument that it's only vanity items. Okay. You can't mog anything from TBC unless you were active during that time, and completed the content you're looking for items from. Still think it's reasonable?

This isn't even much of an exaggeration when you think about it, either. Entire instances and zones have been wiped off the face of the Azeroth, and all of their associated vanity rewards with them. In the meantime, we get the same new models recycled over three to five different items, when it would be a wonderful excuse to recycle past models, much like they did with the Zul'aman stuff on the Isle of Thunder.

That's the kind of thing I'd rather see. Instead of "Oops, guess you missed out." Even when you didn't. After all, I did the whole quest chain in the off-chance that I'd have a future troll character who might rock out the title, since it was being removed. Finding out that it's not account-wide, I feel like I wasted my time. Because Yaegar here isn't going to rock "Darkspear Revolutionary" in front of his name anytime soon. I wouldn't mind achieving it on toons which apply, but that's not even an option.
Edited by Yaegar on 8/31/2013 9:16 AM PDT
2 Blood Elf Paladin

Every item other than the pet, the Brawler's Guild item, and the 24-slot bag are being removed; this includes the removal of the ability to earn the title and the Darkspear Rebellion Quartermaster. We know a lot of you would like to have the cosmetic goodies readily available to pick up with other characters or to share with your alts, but this event was designed to be part of the story for the game at this point in time. For those who earned their title, you now carry a badge of honor for having helped the war effort against Garrosh.

Getting seriously sick of you guys removing items willy-nilly like this. The troll shoes especially. I have several lower-level alts I haven't been able to work on due to work and life in general. The only character I was able to do it on was my main. And it's locked to him permanently now. No, the troll shoes does NOT mark some awesome event or what have you. It's a vanity item that makes my character look like I'm not wearing anything. On a Pandaren that's pretty much pointless because the modelers apparently permanently superglued sandals to their feet for no good reason. But on other characters such as my warlock it would be nice to be able to acquire the troll shoes at some point later. The pet, the title, etc. I can understand. But a transmog item? No. Stop doing that crap. Otherwise you're making me feel like I HAVE to take time away from my life duties in order to play this game a ridiculous amount so I can get stuff I want.
Edited by Cramp on 8/31/2013 9:26 AM PDT
91 Goblin Shaman
08/30/2013 10:09 PMPosted by Seiryu

Brawler
Blessed Defender of Nordrassil
Gob Squad Commando
Gob Squad Recruit

You didn't specify whether you could keep it or not.

All but one are temporary. And I'd argue that Brawler is not earned in enough of the same way.

Barrens: A few quests, then weeks of grinding mobs.
Brawlers: Fighting lots of bosses.

Barrens: Doesn't have to be solo. Can complete the content with groups.
Brawlers: Can only be done solo.

Barrens: Boring an mind-numbing as hell after the opening quests.
Brawlers: An actual challenge.

The only reasons I can see for per-character for the Barrens title are:

1. "<Hordebreaker> is too awesome. If we allow it to be account-wide, every Alliance character will use this title all the time, especially in PvP. We probably should have given the Alliance a title more inline with the so-so one the Horde get. Whoops!"

2. "Because."

3. "Reasons."

4. "People keep saying they miss Classic, so lets show them what it was like. We'll make this content 90% grinding, for days on end, and we'll make all the rewards for it character-only. How much do you miss Classic now, huh? How much do you miss it?!"

5. "When it comes to our customers... 'Hate' is such a strong word. 'Dislike'?"

6. "We want this to feel epic and meaningful, even though grinding really, really isn't."

7. "You know, this content isn't as engaging as we'd hoped." "Well, if we make the title per-character they'll have to do it over and over anyway." "Genius!"

8. "<Hordebreaker> would be a great title...if we liked the Alliance. Let's make it per-character and only make it available for a short time. Oh the tears when we introduce <Alliance Wrecker> and make it available to all Horde forever." /Evil laugh

9. "Cut and pasted old code when making the new content. Sorry about that."

10. Insert conspiracy theory.
Edited by Spanner on 8/31/2013 9:44 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
08/30/2013 04:28 PMPosted by Bashiok
Vanity rewards that reflect the achievements of the player should follow the player, not simply be restricted to a character that may very well be set aside one day.

so glad I spent 2 hours last week farming the head-shrinka only for it to be removed. Cool.

It's not going to be removed from your character, he means removed from being obtainable to anyone that doesn't already have it.

This I agree with you on. I don't want the vanity items to follow the player not the character. My mage has a story and even if I abandon her from time to time the memories and history of my mage is still there. My mage has always been my main I only have one high level alt and she took me forever to level. It took me forever to level her because of how much I loved my mage and the stories I have built with her.

Ever since the very beginning I have enjoyed my vanity items and memories with her. From when I was a noob and at level 7 I saw a "Skull" attacking the town Falconwing and me learning really quickly its an Alliance and I just flagged myself for PvP. To my first raid at 58 in Molten Core and how that got me hooked and motivated to raid. I have fond memories of the Wrath event earning those pieces of gear and standing in line at Midnight at Meijers for my copy.

She is the character I played that I met my best friend on in TOC raiding. I was pugging craving experience and I met him. That was back when I would spend 300g a night pugging to experience content that my guild was not ready for yet. Experience I could bring back to my guild to help them when they step foot in those doors. I met him and we are engaged happily.

If items were to follow the player not the character it makes the hard work the character we have our older pieces on seem worthless.

/end memory flashback
100 Undead Warlock
08/31/2013 09:49 AMPosted by Cee
This I agree with you on.

But here's the main question for you: Does the fact that people can still raid Molten Core ruin your nostalgia of it? Would it be better if Molten Core were removed from the game somehow? Would that have a quantifiable benefit to the storyline of your individual character? Speaking as someone with a few unobtainable items, I can't say that it does. Maybe you think differently in that respect, though.
Edited by Yaegar on 8/31/2013 10:19 AM PDT
100 Worgen Mage
Don't really see what the big deal is about event items becoming unobtainable. That's sort of the point, to get you motivated to get them while you can. I do get there's a big faction of players that want almost everything to be BOA, and we did get mounts, pets, and chieves account-wide which was nice. I can't really say whether it's right or wrong as it's ultimately a design decision and a matter of preference with these vanity items. I will say that when there's no player power involved and it doesn't affect the economy, it's a lot easier to make something BoA. Not every vanity item should be BoA though, like the drops from Pandaria rares. I would have ran out of rare spawn "content" early on since it didn't take long to knock out all those drops on my main. At least I have an incentive to camp on other characters.
100 Undead Warlock
08/31/2013 10:31 AMPosted by Digerati
That's sort of the point, to get you motivated to get them while you can.

I feel like if a limited time offer is the only way the developers can get players motivated to do content, that speaks very poorly of its design. Furthermore, it's not so much that everyone wants everything to be made account-wide. It's that most people don't really like items being made unavailable for future characters. Look at all of the mog items that monks simply cannot have, while rogues and druids can, for example.
Edited by Yaegar on 8/31/2013 10:43 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]