Prot Tank in 5.4

90 Human Paladin
Do we still stack Haste all the way + Ret Gears ??

I'm just confused, i know they will change a couple of things, but i just want the overall opinion to be sure. I want to be ready as well.

thanks,
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Short answer: Yes.

The only thing that was changed affecting haste gearing was the change to Grand Crusader (now only procs from dodge/parry). Our protection tier even has haste in some pieces as well (assuming they didn't change that)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
aight, thanks for the answer, i was surfing over the Pal forum too.

:) Great 5.4 everyone
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Do we still stack Haste all the way + Ret Gears ??

Haste yes, Ret gear no. I avoid everything and anything with +Crit on it (except the 600 cloak obviously).

Your loot spec will vary from boss to boss. It's not an all or nothing thing.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
08/15/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Berith
Haste yes, Ret gear no.

I think he meant in the "traditional" (read:pre-MoP) way of seeing any plate with haste as "ret gear".
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Haste yes, Ret gear no.

I think he meant in the "traditional" (read:pre-MoP) way of seeing any plate with haste as "ret gear".

Not all Ret gear with Haste is good for tanking. I don't touch Haste/Crit pieces for one. You can't just set your Loot to ret and hope to gear up well. Some slots you will have to use more tanky drops as they will be better than the +Crit pieces. Then there's shields and 1 handers and trinkets which are different from Ret to Prot.
Edited by Berith on 8/15/2013 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Berith why are ya so harsh bout crit ? (Crit/haste Crit/mastery Crit/exp)

Dont be so hard on my friend crit - in normals he's not so bad .. I recently got rid of some crit
( 2 pcs) and I kinda miss it ...

Haste/crit was kinda beast mode
Edited by Alexmania on 8/15/2013 3:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's nothing wrong with crit.

ie. the shadopan assault bracers are just garbage and the other ones have crit. wasn't much of a decision there.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
08/15/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Berith
Not all Ret gear with Haste is good for tanking.

And my point was I'm sure the OP already understands that and only said "ret gear" as a shortcut for "haste/mastery gear" since not even rets particularly care for +crit (I mean it's useful, but not ideal) :)
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
since not even rets particularly care for +crit (I mean it's useful, but not ideal) :)

Crit and mastery are pretty much dead even in terms of DPS gains for Ret.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
08/15/2013 04:28 PMPosted by Nemuraan
Not all Ret gear with Haste is good for tanking.

And my point was I'm sure the OP already understands that and only said "ret gear" as a shortcut for "haste/mastery gear" since not even rets particularly care for +crit (I mean it's useful, but not ideal) :)

Actually, you'd be surprised how many people are under the impression that you need to equip just any DPS plate to tank.

Parry and Dodge have higher value to Prot than Crit does (Crit is just DPS after all for us). It's really a boss by boss basis, there is no easy rule of "All ret" or "all prot". Some bosses you even have to visit as both specs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, youre still pretty much missing everyone's point above. No one is saying to stack crit. Just that sometimes, the best piece available may have crit on it.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Agree sivil

Haste/crit > dodge/parry for normal 10m

Had up to 4 pcs's with crit on it at one point and still did amazing ..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]