Is WoW In Trouble?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been legitimately worried for WoW lately. Especially after the fact that we lost 700k subscribers from different parts of the world. Should we be worried? Is it normal for WoW to start loosing that many subscribers in such a short time? Personally, I think they will come back, but it sure is worrying loosing that many subscribers in such a short period of time, especially when you think that most MMOs don't even have 700k subscribers.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I try to look at the positives - as noskill LFR and the over-simplification of the game continues to cause losses to the game, it will eventually become free to play, saving me enough cash to buy that pinball machine I always wanted.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's an old game. It doesn't have World PVP, it's boring.

Unlike actual war craft, people cry about dying and don't have competitiveness in them.

So yeah, it's dying. Who cares.
Nothing you just said was true, except for the fact that it is old... No one is going to take into consideration what you said at all, unless you at least show us that you have a toon higher level than 1...
Edited by Deminaria on 8/13/2013 11:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Human Paladin
Over-accessibility is making people burned out, it has nothing to do with being an old game.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
It's a plus for me. That's probably 699k nasty or rude players less for me to put on ignore.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I'm not to worried, yet. The store bothers me a bit. Every time they add something to it I can feel the tide of free to play come closer and closer. That worries me.

When/if WoW goes F2P, that is when I will cease to play.

Unfortunately the whole market is doing it, so there won't be anymore games for me to play online. I'll just have to be satisfied with single player games, I guess. Skyrim was awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Only 7.7 million subscriptions, several times more than any other MMO on the market. GG dead gaem, Blixxurd disband.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'll just have to be satisfied with single player games, I guess. Skyrim was awesome.

If you've never tried it, pick up Crusader Kings II from Paradox. Very high quality game and infinitely replayable.

Europe's still cranking out solid games. They're just not as well known in the U.S., that's all.
Reply Quote
It's not normal for an MMO to even have the number of subscribers Bliz has lost since Cata released.

But no, WoW isn't in trouble. By gaming standards, WoW is 100 years old. While I have my issues with the game, the very fact that more than 7 million players are still playing a game almost 9 years old is a testament to how good the game is and how good the developers are at reacting to changing expectations.

It's not as big as it once was but it is still bigger than anything else out there, long after every WoW killer that has come along went F2P.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

When/if WoW goes F2P, that is when I will cease to play.

I'll still play, but it won't feel nearly as authentic.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
08/13/2013 11:47 PMPosted by Ablackkmann
It's a plus for me. That's probably 699k nasty or rude players less for me to put on ignore.

Yeah because this is how ELYSIUM came to being.

Don't wory Matt Damon comin for ya city!!!

Gross Matt Damon is so annoying. He was awesome in team America though. That's the only movie he's been in that I liked snort.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
It's a fair concern...that many people will just play to see the content, and those that can't get into raids will just play the LFR's to see them, cancel there subs and then come back when the next raid comes out?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Wow is no longer the young game on the market and its player base is ever changing, I think after what 8 plus years, any game is going to lose players and at times in large numbers, likely we will see more of a decline BUT it will hit a point where the losses slow and the over all player base levels out and remains largely the same.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
08/13/2013 11:02 PMPosted by Deminaria
s it normal for WoW to start loosing that many subscribers in such a short time?
Not really yes or nor.

WoW's standard for sub loss is for WoW. We don't got any similar thing to compare it to.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Is WoW In Trouble?

why you been talking to some one? you were told what happens in wow stays in wow, heres a sucker now go play.
Reply Quote
It's a fair concern...that many people will just play to see the content, and those that can't get into raids will just play the LFR's to see them, cancel there subs and then come back when the next raid comes out?

People have been doing that for years. The difference now is that less new players are coming in to make up for both real losses (people who never come back) and the temporary losses you describe.

There is a lot of "the sky is falling" going around and there has been since before Bliz announced the 12 million number. Back then, people were worried because subs seemed to have stalled out at 11 million.

The thing to remember is that no one expected WoW to be as big as it got. Hitting 4.5 million subscribers by the end of their first year was not only unheard of, it's never been repeated in an MMO. And then, they topped themselves.

I think Bliz made a few mistakes that drove some people away. I have never understood why they thought shared lockouts was a good idea. Separate lockouts kept people playing.

I also think the changes to class mechanics starting in Cata hurt subs. Bliz continues to try to adjust classes to make them better but I know a lot of players who left and never came back because the classes they loved no longer resembled what they were. I was reminded of an ad for Madden 95 or 96, it said something along the lines of "what do you do when you made the best football game ever? you change everything.' They did change everything and it sucked hardcore. I do not understand why Bliz took something millions loved and completely changed it.

But you also have things like dying realms getting no love in Cata and then xrealm zones that, while a good idea on paper, didn't fix any problems dying realms had. Virtual realms will finally address this properly.

Forgive me for being wordy, I'm quite tired.

Bottom line, subs will likely keep falling for a while. Some of the most glaring problems, dead servers for example, are finally being fixed but for some it's too little, too late. For everyone else, eventually we will reach a point where subs level out. The latest drop was less than the last. Azeroth will be around for those of us who wish to visit it for a long long time, even if subs continue to fall.
Reply Quote
WoW is old. By video game standards, we should all be paying WoW out of pure nostalgia.

BUT we aren't. WoW is thriving. AFTER substantial sub drops, WoW still has more subs than if you combine the next few most populous MMOs.

Huge player base with very vocal minority of doomsayers does not equate a failing product. The closest analogy would be if there were still nearly 8 million people playing Halo 2 online (rabidly popular game in its genre released same year).

Halo 2 players online: 0 (since 2011)
WoW players online: 7.7 million

Or you could compare it with Everquest (same age, same genre):

Everquest players: estimated less than 1 million. Last official count was 500k.
WoW players: yup, still 7.7 million.

Now, where was the problem?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]