GoAK Change for Ret

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm not sure I follow the logic for the change here. The CD is being reduced by 40%, and the maximum strength boost is being reduced by 40%. Meaning the cooldown will have the same effect on our damage over the duration of a raid encounter, except the burst potential takes a 40% hit. Ghostcrawler blog states this is because paladins felt their damage was tied to long CDs, so the solution is to make the CD less effective for burst but the same effectiveness in other regards?

Maybe someone with more time/care than me can math this out, but it doesn't make sense to me.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
The change is actually a buff for most raid boss fights. In an average 8 minute fight, you can currently use Guardian twice. In 5.4, it will be three times. Unless the fight is just the right length to get two 5 minute Guardians but not three 3 minute Guardians, it'll be a buff to its damage contribution.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Basically it's a nerf in some situations and a buff in others. For example if it's a fight that's more than 3 minutes and you pop GoAK off at the start, and then 3 minutes later you use it and it's up for at least nine seconds the second time you pop it, it's a buff. If you don't get to use it more than once then it's a nerf. But if the guardian doesn't scale off of attack power and will do the same damage either way, it's sort of a buff. I'm not sure exactly, I haven't really put the time nor effort into this.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I for one will enjoy using my guardian more than at max, two times a fight.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Also, note that the Guardian's own melee damage is nontrivial, and isn't reduced by 40% here. His melee is something like 4% of total DPS, so using him 66% more often is a couple percent buff to sustained.
Edited by Ravicana on 8/15/2013 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I welcome this change for arenas and RBGs.

As of right now, my team puts me on the offensive while my cooldowns are up, and then I go and defend for a few minutes while waiting for my King to come off cooldown. In arenas, it really bites having to wait 5 minutes again vs other healer teams to make more magic happen if I miss my window.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would think this a hurt for arena paladins. Yes, you don't wait as long to burst, but won't bursting 40% softer hurt you more than doing it more often helps you?

This from someone who doesn't arena, mind.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Guardian having a 12 instead of 20 stack isn't 40% less burst.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How so? Its maximum stack size is now 12, down from 20. As I read that it tells me you get 12% strength down from 20% strength. Which is a 40% decrease in the damage it grants, thus 40% less burst out of the spell.

Is this not so?
Edited by Hylaudius on 8/15/2013 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How so? It's maximum stack size is now 12, down from 20. As I read that it tells me you get 12% strength down from 20% strength. Which is a 40% decrease in the damage it grants, thus 40% less burst out of the spell.

Is this not so?

The difference between 120% strength and 112% is far less than 40%.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Reworded then - it's a 40% reduction in the bonus damage, not the overall damage. Which is still a damage reduction.

20% added to 100 is 120. 12% added to 100 is 112. The difference between the bonuses granted (20 vs 12) is 40%. That's the math I'm throwing down.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
A 40% nerf to a single spell is not a 40% nerf to overall damage or burst, especially if the nerf is balanced around more frequent access.

Look at it this way, over a seven minute fight you can pop current GoAK twice for a cumulative 40% strength for 60s. In 5.4, you can pop new GoAK three times for 36% cumulative strength for 90s.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm aware that it's balanced over longer periods. That much has been made clear. Currently I'm musing over the effects of the nerf on burst where burst is sought after. Mostly a question that popped into my head thanks to the arenadin several posts up. I'd have thought the 20% strength more valuable in a burst scenario than 12% more often.

Mostly curiosity. I'm satisfied as a casual LFR player that it won't hurt me.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It is definitely a reduction in burst, and sure, that part can be seen as a PvP nerf. It's less than a 40% reduction though, and not just because 120 -> 112, but because the strength buff is only part of the burst provided by GoAK. His direct melee attacks are significant: in my PvE gear he does something like 50k dps by himself.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would think this a hurt for arena paladins. Yes, you don't wait as long to burst, but won't bursting 40% softer hurt you more than doing it more often helps you?

This from someone who doesn't arena, mind.

Most of the GoAK's damage comes from his powerful melee hits. A bit less strength isn't really going to be missed that much during burst windows.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]