what is "world of warcraft: Browser Proxy"?

100 Gnome Warlock
I've recently returned to the game and found "world of warcraft: Browser Proxy" in my running tasks.

thought i'd just check if its part of WoW, what it does, or if its something malicious.

ty
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Basically, Blizzard implemented a web browser that's built into wow. When you click on the the red question mark on the button bar, a connection is created to a Blizzard site on port 80 (HTTP). This site provides them with web services that they can update dynamically. Not a bad idea, HOWEVER, it is important to note here that this additional connection CAN CAUSE LAG and uses additional bandwidth.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
thx

yeah, i have found disabling it helps with my latency at times
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Scruit,

The BrowserProxy should only be opening connections when it's pulled up by hitting the "?" button in game. We have seen cases where security programs will interfere with the BrowserProxy and create secondary issues though.

While I don't recommend it, you can disable the BrowserProxy as you have been and play the game. You would just need to use the website if you wished to create a support ticket.

100 Human Mage
If you add the following files to your Av/firewalls white list it helps a lot. It also will keep the antivirus from eating your wow when they update it

Blizzard Launcher.exe
Agent.exe
World of Warcraft Launcher.exe
wow.exe
wow-64.exe
WowBrowserProxy.exe

AVG exceptions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqGIKDIKAn8

Norton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-jzNKtY3z0

Kaspersky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsLkhRX-4HI
Edited by Northernlite on 8/15/2013 8:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Scruit,

The BrowserProxy should only be opening connections when it's pulled up by hitting the "?" button in game. We have seen cases where security programs will interfere with the BrowserProxy and create secondary issues though.

While I don't recommend it, you can disable the BrowserProxy as you have been and play the game. You would just need to use the website if you wished to create a support ticket.

What I'd like to know is this: does WowBrowserProxy create and keep a persistent connection to that web server? Once the ticket has been entered, WowBrowserProxy should drop the persistent connection. This can be accomplished by restarting the process, which wouldn't create a persistent connection until you pressed the red question mark again.

Okay, Blizz. I just gave u info I'd normally charge $1000.00 to give to one of my clients. You can at least give me a free invincible mount or something :D :D.

Best Regards....
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Mage
If nothing is interfering with WowBrowserProxy.exe Then it only opens a connection when you have the in game browser open. They are using Chromium embedded as the browser. I use a program to monitor my network activity and it opens and closes only when I open the in game browser.
Edited by Northernlite on 8/15/2013 11:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Healacious,

08/15/2013 11:03 PMPosted by Healacious
does WowBrowserProxy create and keep a persistent connection to that web server?

No.

Once the ticket has been entered, WowBrowserProxy should drop the persistent connection. This can be accomplished by restarting the process, which wouldn't create a persistent connection until you pressed the red question mark again.

That's basically what it does.

@Northernlite & Jurannok:

Okay, guys. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Best Regards,
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
If nothing is interfering with WowBrowserProxy.exe Then it only opens a connection when you have the in game browser open. They are using Chromium embedded as the browser. I use a program to monitor my network activity and it opens and closes only when I open the in game browser.

Just out of curiosity, what program are u using to monitor the connections? Personally, I really like using "Process Hacker," available at sourceforge.net

Best Regards....
Reply Quote
91 Undead Mage
How do you disable it? Seems to be causing a lot of issues for me. I've not submitted any tickets or anything, but it's definitely running.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
There have been changes made to the WOW browser proxy and it opens as soon as you log into a character in the game. It will only close if you disable it or close the game completely. You do not need the WoW browser proxy to access anything in the game including opening a ticket and using the in game shop. I smell deception. Blizzard, care to explain why this is happening and what are you doing with the information that is being gathered?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
To disable the WOW browser proxy, if you are running windows:

press ctrl+alt+delete and select task manager
in the first tab, under background process you will find wowbrowserproxy.exe
right click on it and select end task
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
12/15/2015 06:50 PMPosted by Fuzynuts
There have been changes made to the WOW browser proxy and it opens as soon as you log into a character in the game. It will only close if you disable it or close the game completely. You do not need the WoW browser proxy to access anything in the game including opening a ticket and using the in game shop. I smell deception. Blizzard, care to explain why this is happening and what are you doing with the information that is being gathered?

I corrected the mistakes you've made in reply to one of the other copies of the same post you made in other threads.

There is no deception. Not sure why some people insist on conspiracies.

Btw, for years now Blizzard has collected system configuration information- and been very public about it. This is stated in a number of places. For at least 5+ years that I recall. General system config information is used by Blizzard (and a ton of other name brand computer companies) to keep master profiles of what typical user configurations are so that they can monitor trends in technology adoption and aging, then plan for how long to continue support for things like legacy technologies as well as brand new ones.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]