The game just doesn't feel healer friendly..

90 Draenei Shaman
This is my opinion of course, but here me out. I normally mainly DPS. Most my healer gear is actually my Ele DPS gear I am converting over. But my guild needs more healers and I thought I would jump off the DPS race and try something that could be possibly more rewarding. First thing I notice is I had to make "mouse over" macros for almost anything I would use while healing, this is an annoyance and something the devs by now should already have built into the game as an option. The 2nd is if I am watching everyone's health bars on the side for anything I need to dispel, then I really cant watch my own footing like I am used to doing as ranged dps. These two things a lone to me seem to be a big breaker for many would be healers. Now I am sure there are Addons the address this and I would be grateful if anyone can put those names out. But this is more of a shout-out to the devs.. Make it easy to watch the floor, the boss and the players status at the same time without watching the left side of the screen. Then at least from my perspective it will not feel so awkward healing. I am sure watching the side may be easy for some people with those cute 24" and smaller monitors.. But try doing this with surround displays. I could not.. Made me dizzy.. LOL.. Had to put the screen back to only the center monitors..

IMHO, to each their own..

V/R, Mob..
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Healbot is the most "new healer friendly" add on. You can use it in any level of gameplay.

Vuhdo is better IMO, but is harder to set it up. If you like customization and have patience to learn how to set up things, go for it.

These addons make a really overhaul on the healing job, make it really friendly to players.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Vuhdo is buggy IMHO.. Healbot does help, even more more with raids. But I am still looking at a corner of the screen and not paying as much attention to the floor or the mobs attacking me.. I appreciate your post greatly.. But healers need to be able to concentrate on the game not the User Interface more then other class roles.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Vuhdo is buggy IMHO.. Healbot does help, even more more with raids. But I am still looking at a corner of the screen and not paying as much attention to the floor or the mobs attacking me

I usually put Vuhdo (10m) on the middle-left of the screen, so I can look at the fight and the healths at the same time.

What bugs do you have with vuhdo?

The only one I noticed it's vuhdo not "refreshing" the players when it's on combat. A player leaves or joins the group and it's refreshed only after the combat stops... Other than that, no issues.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Unfortunatly there is no addon for experience. Just takes time and practice. Mouseover macros are fine. No different than any addon raid frame you are going to use. They do the same exact thing. Only thing i might suggest is trying "move anything" addon. Can move the default raid frames where ever you want. Getting the RF's close to your character is key as then you can focus on your character and use your paripheral vision on the rf's.

Still can tunnel though, just the way it is. Also the best addon imo is weakauras. Learn it, love it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
What bugs do you have with vuhdo

It gets my keybinds messed up now and then..

Unfortunatly there is no addon for experience

I could not agree more..

The friendly name plates (which has been in game since vanilla) are more of what I am looking for. But would like to see them revamped to aid healers more..
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Healing is a whole different ball game. It's not really something you can just jump in and do well at effortlessly. It takes time and practice, practice, practice and more practice.

But your right, by now there should be some things in place to make the UI a bit more user friendly for healing.
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
Sadly, if one uses the default UI, or the default UI and mouse over macros, a healer's full potential cannot be achieved.

I know this might get a bunch of posts by people claiming I am wrong, but I have seen it for such a long time over so many raids that I tell people they need to install one of the popular healing add-ons and try it for themselves first before they can convince me otherwise.

In every case where the player did such, their healing throughput and responsiveness dramatically improved. Your mileage may vary, but I am skeptical of claims to the contrary.

Here is what an addon like Vudho or Healbot gives you:

- You can adjust the size and grid pattern of the frames so they can be placed closer to the center of the screen. It becomes much easier to eye scan from the frames to the screen center so you can pay attention/enjoy the fight, and still keep people healed up.

- You can bind the most frequently used heals to the mouse buttons. A multi-button mouse like a Razer is awesome. Quick shift of the mouse over a raid frame lets you quickly click a button and get off a heal or cleanse.

- This frees up the other hand to handle strafing and forward movement, and greatly reduces the number of key binds that hand has to hit. With a little practice, you can get the little finger to move among the Ctrl/Alt/Shift buttons while the other fingers handle movement without interruption. This essentially increases the number of spells you can have bound to the mouse buttons to 4x. So, for example, if you are only using the left and right mouse buttons, you can now bind 8 spells to those 2 buttons. This is more than enough to handle most healing situations.

I agree with your basic premise that the default game interface is not healer friendly. I find it amazing that Blizzard has not extended their default UI to allow talent/ability assignment directly to mouse buttons without the need for a macro or action bar assignment.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I use blizzard default grid along with the Clique addon which allows me to bind mouse and button for spells like shift-right mouse is holy shock for me. The watching you feet thing comes down to expecting things from fight and sometimes addon yelling at you to move.

P.S. the blizzard default grid can be move anywhere (just need to unlock it) and you can adjusted its bars to the size you want. It is a much better grid system then it use to be. I have mine to the right of the center of my screen.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
P.S. the blizzard default grid can be move anywhere (just need to unlock it) and you can adjusted its bars to the size you want. It is a much better grid system then it use to be. I have mine to the right of the center of my screen.

Yeah, the Blizzard raid frames do suck less than they used to. I think at some point they even added incoming heals. The new way they show absorbs is pretty cool as well. It could be improved a bit but it's really not that bad.

I do wish they would include a click to cast option though but at least it's not a certain WoW killer MMO, let's call it War Stars, where you are forced to click a target then cast a heal with no addons at all allowed.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I love my shaman. Really wished I would have started her during BC instead of waiting till the mid of Wrath.. She is so much fun in all 3 specs. But its the most macro dependent class I have ever played. Most classes like my Rogue had only 2 or 3 macros, hunter basicly had one back in the day for pet commanding.. But my shaman as Enh must have /startattack [harm] or every attack spell or he will never start auto attacking even in mele range. This annoys me that blizz never has addressed this, same goes to healing. Mouse over this, mouse over that. Then left squinting at the default UI to see if my tank has got cudies from the boss fight I need to dispell.. Just feel someting the more of the line of Tidy Bars or default Name Plates showing more information other then health and level would be nice. And having it come up during combat like you can with Tidy Bars would be sweet. They have updated the UI with many things players used to have addons for in the past. Adding smart mouse over mechanics to the game and sprucing the name plates up would go a long ways with making players feel better about healing... This biggest helper to healing for me is just DBM. Telling me to move my rear end when stading in dog poo or dispell this and that from Fred again.. LOL :-p

EDIT:

I would like to add that the game does feel much much less healing intensive.. I feel stupid at times for over healing cuz I dont got much else to do other then watching my footing. Are healers supposed to DPS any this expansion while healing or something? My DPS couldnt burn the hair off a dwarfs back, but thought I should ask anyhow..
Edited by Mobscene on 8/15/2013 8:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I love my shaman. Really wished I would have started her during BC instead of waiting till the mid of Wrath.. She is so much fun in all 3 specs. But its the most macro dependent class I have ever played. Most classes like my Rogue had only 2 or 3 macros, hunter basicly had one back in the day for pet commanding.. But my shaman as Enh must have /startattack [harm] or every attack spell or he will never start auto attacking even in mele range. This annoys me that blizz never has addressed this, same goes to healing. Mouse over this, mouse over that. Then left squinting at the default UI to see if my tank has got cudies from the boss fight I need to dispell.. Just feel someting the more of the line of Tidy Bars or default Name Plates showing more information other then health and level would be nice. And having it come up during combat like you can with Tidy Bars would be sweet. They have updated the UI with many things players used to have addons for in the past. Adding smart mouse over mechanics to the game and sprucing the name plates up would go a long ways with making players feel better about healing... This biggest helper to healing for me is just DBM. Telling me to move my rear end when stading in dog poo or dispell this and that from Fred again.. LOL :-p

EDIT:

I would like to add that the game does feel much much less healing intensive.. I feel stupid at times for over healing cuz I dont got much else to do other then watching my footing. Are healers supposed to DPS any this expansion while healing or something? My DPS couldnt burn the hair off a dwarfs back, but thought I should ask anyhow..

It depends the kind of content you are doing. Heroic dungeons are really easy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The log in tips should really do "how to make a mouseover macro". The significant advantage to keybinding mouseover macros (to the keyboard/mouse/both) and then using your raidframes of choice (I have grid) is that if a patch really, really breaks the raid frames you are mostly functional with the Blizzard frames (even though the information they show is borked - do I care about the mass rez debuff in combat?) and your macros. You aren't completely unable to play until your (much better) raid frames are up to date.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I've never used mouse over macros and I've been healing as one class or another since Vanilla. This shaman has been my main since ICC in WotLK, and I feel I do ok. You don't need those macros, you just need to learn to anticipate where damage is coming from and have the person clicked before you cast.

There's nothing wrong with mouse over macros, just saying that if you're finding them burdensome, you don't need them.

As for the other bit, about having to watch health bars and worry about fight mechanics, yes this can be difficult. However, I dunno... you get used to it. Also, in the case of most classes, you have some cooldowns you can use to mitigate this. In the case of a resto shaman, I have a few options... such as using HTT when I have to move, so I can concentrate on avoiding the bad. I'll cast-move so I can keep people topped off, or I'll even use SWG coupled with Ascendence so that I can be less choosy about who gets my initial heal, but comfortable in the knowledge that the heals will reach the people who need it.

So yea, it's not so bad... you get used to it, and I find healing a very rewarding role. I much prefer it over DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
All of your complaints can really be boiled down to lack of experience. The default UI is perfectly acceptable for healing now, where it never was before.

Aside from that, there is a wealth of addons available to assist you that take as much or as little setup as you desire.

Watching raid frames and making sure you are not standing in the bad at the same time? That's multi tasking, situational awareness, and it comes with practice. Ditto for anticipating damage, quick reacting to debuffs and positions of other players, knowing when to dispel or not, knowing when to use tank or raid cds, etc.

Secondarily, designing a UI that is comfortable for you is very important. There are thousands of possibilities. Mouseover macros are but one option.

You will never be efficient if you try to heal of the healthbars that float over a players head. Trust me on that. :P The mouse travel time required will be obscene and you will not be able to move quickly enough to get things done. Not to mention all the other healers will be using an appropriate raid frame of choice and react much more quickly, even without mouseover macros.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Vuhdo is buggy IMHO.. Healbot does help, even more more with raids. But I am still looking at a corner of the screen and not paying as much attention to the floor or the mobs attacking me.. I appreciate your post greatly.. But healers need to be able to concentrate on the game not the User Interface more then other class roles.

Vuhdo isn't buggy in my experience. Perhaps you could clarify what you consider "buggy"?

This is, more or less, what mine looks like. Bottom middle of my screen. I'm never looking at the corners, and I can see everything underneath and in front of me:

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/4290/wowscrnshot042413200308.jpg

The only one I noticed it's vuhdo not "refreshing" the players when it's on combat. A player leaves or joins the group and it's refreshed only after the combat stops... Other than that, no issues.

This is not a bug. And it's not due to VuhDo. This is due to the way the default raid frames are coded. They do not refresh or update while in combat. It's actually more pronounced on the default raid frames than it is on VuhDo, as VuhDo tries to work around it as much as it can (which isn't much, because everything is locked in place by Blizzard's code during combat).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
But I am still looking at a corner of the screen and not paying as much attention to the floor or the mobs attacking me

You've got to move it then.

The way default UI is set up makes the game look really nice. It's your character right there in the center, with action all around. All your info is stuck nicely in corners, and along the bottom.

But that's inefficient. You're looking down to see CDs, you're looking to the top right to see your debuffs. You're looking left to see your party. And in the meantime, stuff is happening to your character in the center of the screen.

I have my screen set up very similar to Tiriel's screenshot.VuhDo below my chracter's feet, so that I can watch where I am in relation to everything else, and still have my eyes on health. I use IceHUD in addition so that MY health and mana are surrounding my toon in an arc -- makes it near impossible to tunnel out and not realize that I'm almost dead.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
This is not a bug. And it's not due to VuhDo. This is due to the way the default raid frames are coded. They do not refresh or update while in combat

^ This. It's also worth mentioning, I think, that this is mostly an LFR issue. If you are raiding with your guild or regular group, you won't have the revolving door of people during combat, so it's not a problem.

Also, I hardly use any macros for this toon. I have auto attack macroed into my opening DPS spell because I mained a hunter when you could just press buttons and the game would target the closest mob for you, and I have a stop casting macro for wind shear. I think that's it. I don't feel particularly macro dependent on my shaman.
Edited by Zanara on 8/15/2013 9:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I think some of you think I am out to complain and didnt fully grasp my post. I heal just fine and dandy. But what I was trying to address is anyone new to healing more or less new to wow or been around. Regardless, out-of-the box. Healing could be made better. Didint say it was impossible or anything like that.. LOL.. Just not as friendly to players as say DPSing or tanking..

As far as mouse clicking! I am not a clicker.. I have everything assigned to my G13 and mainly use my mouse to move around. That just way I been playing since Vanilla..
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I think some of you think I am out to complain and didnt fully grasp my post. I heal just fine and dandy. But what I was trying to address is anyone new to healing more or less new to wow or been around. Regardless, out-of-the box. Healing could be made better. Didint say it was impossible or anything like that.. LOL.. Just not as friendly to players as say DPSing or tanking..

As far as mouse clicking! I am not a clicker.. I have everything assigned to my G13 and mainly use my mouse to move around. That just way I been playing since Vanilla..

I'd say tanking is pretty unforgiving, actually.

But this is why we have mentors. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]