The game just doesn't feel healer friendly..

90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/22/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Serus
No one has mentioned Helium yet? I hate Healbot and the other "clicky" bind addons. Why should I memorize mouse-button combinations when Healium will just put the spell next to the character names? All I need to do is left click.

At a certain point, it's like typing, you don't even think about the keys. Muscle memory has kicked in, and you think HL and an HL goes off.

I couldn't tell you what button does what on my mouse at this point, but I can cast any spell as needed by reflex.

There's no hunt & peck. There's no conscious thought. I'm not looking at icons. I'm just clicking a mouse button (sometimes with a SHIFT or CTRL). It's extremely fluid, fast, and effective.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
08/15/2013 04:30 AMPosted by Mobscene
First thing I notice is I had to make "mouse over" macros for almost anything I would use while healing, this is an annoyance and something the devs by now should already have built into the game as an option.

Well, it is built in to the game as an option, as macros are an in game function. The developers try to keep the basic game as simple as possible, while allowing addon creators to provide changes geared more toward aesthetics and personal preference controls.

The 2nd is if I am watching everyone's health bars on the side for anything I need to dispel, then I really cant watch my own footing like I am used to doing as ranged dps. These two things a lone to me seem to be a big breaker for many would be healers. Now I am sure there are Addons the address this and I would be grateful if anyone can put those names out. But this is more of a shout-out to the devs.. Make it easy to watch the floor, the boss and the players status at the same time without watching the left side of the screen. Then at least from my perspective it will not feel so awkward healing. I am sure watching the side may be easy for some people with those cute 24" and smaller monitors.. But try doing this with surround displays. I could not.. Made me dizzy.. LOL.. Had to put the screen back to only the center monitors..

Why do you have the frames off to the side? Even the default raid frames can be relocated to allow you to put it closer to the center of the screen.

@Healium:

Have you even seen a 25 man raid with Healium?
Edited by Elethia on 8/28/2013 1:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
No one has mentioned Helium yet? I hate Healbot and the other "clicky" bind addons. Why should I memorize mouse-button combinations when Healium will just put the spell next to the character names? All I need to do is left click.

I find with my 81 restoration shaman, that Cataclysm normals are just as hard to heal as WotLK heroics. It's really turning me off, because now I have to pay much more attention to health bars and less to the screen. The culprit is that almost everything does AE damage, so everyone dies almost as fast as each other, and I end up burning out my mana on AE heals with single-target heals for the tank.

Not to mention that personal experience shows that most tanks are fools, for some reason thinking dungeons are a race against their personal best times.... The fact that a good healer keeps them alive despite their idiocy is completely lost on them.

We didn't mention Healium because Healium is a terrible addon that needs to be burned in the fires of perdition and then thrown into the deepest pits of Hades.

This is what Healium does to people: http://i43.servimg.com/u/f43/17/03/13/23/wowscr37.jpg

Friends don't let friends use Healium.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sadly, if one uses the default UI, or the default UI and mouse over macros, a healer's full potential cannot be achieved.

I know this might get a bunch of posts by people claiming I am wrong, but I have seen it for such a long time over so many raids that I tell people they need to install one of the popular healing add-ons and try it for themselves first before they can convince me otherwise.

In every case where the player did such, their healing throughput and responsiveness dramatically improved. Your mileage may vary, but I am skeptical of claims to the contrary.

Here is what an addon like Vudho or Healbot gives you:

- You can adjust the size and grid pattern of the frames so they can be placed closer to the center of the screen. It becomes much easier to eye scan from the frames to the screen center so you can pay attention/enjoy the fight, and still keep people healed up.

- You can bind the most frequently used heals to the mouse buttons. A multi-button mouse like a Razer is awesome. Quick shift of the mouse over a raid frame lets you quickly click a button and get off a heal or cleanse.

- This frees up the other hand to handle strafing and forward movement, and greatly reduces the number of key binds that hand has to hit. With a little practice, you can get the little finger to move among the Ctrl/Alt/Shift buttons while the other fingers handle movement without interruption. This essentially increases the number of spells you can have bound to the mouse buttons to 4x. So, for example, if you are only using the left and right mouse buttons, you can now bind 8 spells to those 2 buttons. This is more than enough to handle most healing situations.

I agree with your basic premise that the default game interface is not healer friendly. I find it amazing that Blizzard has not extended their default UI to allow talent/ability assignment directly to mouse buttons without the need for a macro or action bar assignment.

You can do all of those things with the default ui and mouse over macros just as easily.
Reply Quote
96 Pandaren Shaman
Sadly, if one uses the default UI, or the default UI and mouse over macros, a healer's full potential cannot be achieved.

I know this might get a bunch of posts by people claiming I am wrong, but I have seen it for such a long time over so many raids that I tell people they need to install one of the popular healing add-ons and try it for themselves first before they can convince me otherwise.

In every case where the player did such, their healing throughput and responsiveness dramatically improved. Your mileage may vary, but I am skeptical of claims to the contrary.

- You can adjust the size and grid pattern of the frames so they can be placed closer to the center of the screen. It becomes much easier to eye scan from the frames to the screen center so you can pay attention/enjoy the fight, and still keep people healed up.

- You can bind the most frequently used heals to the mouse buttons. A multi-button mouse like a Razer is awesome. Quick shift of the mouse over a raid frame lets you quickly click a button and get off a heal or cleanse.

- This frees up the other hand to handle strafing and forward movement, and greatly reduces the number of key binds that hand has to hit. With a little practice, you can get the little finger to move among the Ctrl/Alt/Shift buttons while the other fingers handle movement without interruption. This essentially increases the number of spells you can have bound to the mouse buttons to 4x. So, for example, if you are only using the left and right mouse buttons, you can now bind 8 spells to those 2 buttons. This is more than enough to handle most healing situations.

I agree with your basic premise that the default game interface is not healer friendly. I find it amazing that Blizzard has not extended their default UI to allow talent/ability assignment directly to mouse buttons without the need for a macro or action bar assignment.

You can do all of those things with the default ui and mouse over macros just as easily.

Not entirely. You need an add-on like Clique to be able to bind macros to mouse buttons beyond the standard 4, even with a WoW mouse. Without add-ons you are restricted to mouse 1-4 and keyboard binds, which honestly isn't too terrible as mouse 1-4 and keyboard #1-4 (or 1-5 if you have big hands like mine) will still give you a whole lot of functionality. I really wish they would update that part of the WoW UI as it shouldn't be that difficult to add extra mouse button slots to the macro interface.

However, if you understand the default UI options then you can do all the above with the standard UI and a little creativity and/or research. I do and have for years, because I play on several different computers that may or may not have the add-ons I would like (not all of them belong to me, so I will not install additional software on them). Macros and in-game settings are stored on the server, so I can log on to any computer with WoW installed and have my UI the way I would like it to be. It takes a lot of setup when I create a character, but from then on it never really needs to be changed or updated, which is extremely convenient.

On raid nights that coincide with patch days I can only shake my head at the half the raid team that can't play effectively because some of their add-ons aren't updated or still buggy.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

This is what Healium does to people: http://i43.servimg.com/u/f43/17/03/13/23/wowscr37.jpg

Friends don't let friends use Healium.

Oh god kill it with fire!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
On raid nights that coincide with patch days I can only shake my head at the half the raid team that can't play effectively because some of their add-ons aren't updated or still buggy.

Really? I haven't had a problem with VuhDo since early Wrath of the Lich King. It's always either functional or updated greatly in advance (as the addon authors get on the PTR early). It's never been a problem for me, and I imagine that Grid, Grid2 and Healbot aren't often affected, either.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I've only had recount/skada bug out on me but that's easy enough to disable and look at logs instead.

Really? I haven't had a problem with VuhDo since early Wrath of the Lich King. It's always either functional or updated greatly in advance (as the addon authors get on the PTR early). It's never been a problem for me, and I imagine that Grid, Grid2 and Healbot aren't often affected, either.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
08/29/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Tiriel

I think for one patch in Cata Healbot was broken for a day. I just made some mouse over macros. It worked well enough.

But really there's a reason why raiding on Tuedays was laughed at in an old guild I was in from a few expansions ago.

I will admit in Blizzard's defense that the servers are generally up and actually working pretty fast after a patch now unlike the old days when you were lucky to have a functioning server at raid time.

08/28/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Tiriel

That screenshot needs to be redone with a female dwarf and I don't mean a cute one like Winni. I mean one born of nightmares.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Healing is even more unfriendly in pvp for 5.4 You only do 45% of your heal because battle fatigue steals 55% off the top. Add any one of the numerous abilities like Mortal Strike that negate your heal potential while doing damage and its like you are trying to heal people with bandages.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I don't use macros or addons to make healing easier and I have never had a problem. It's more about practice and getting used to it than anything else. You don't have to stare at the health bars the whole time. If the tank is doing their job then you should mostly just be focusing on him/her. You eventually just get a rhythm down. If you have already done a dungeon or raid as dps then you should already know the mechanics of the boss fights so you know what to look for. Make use of your peripheral vision to keep track of your footing. Maybe it's because I always play a healer but I find healing in this particular game easier than any other MMO I've played. But healing isn't for everyone. Don't feel bad if you end up not liking it. Most of my friends prefer dps too! :)
Reply Quote
17 Draenei Shaman
Play resto shaman. I use vuhdo which is placed bottom of my screen Also use addon GTFO..very annoying sound if standing in crap. I used move anything, to place my buffs under my feet. But healing is not easy as you do have to look at a lot more then the normal player but its just practice. I use vuhdo as I can target boss but use vuhdo to heal without losing the target. oh and have your camera at far distance if possible. we all have our own styles and it just practice.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I've never really understood the fascination with mouseover macros for the most part (aside from specs like disc/MW who like to keep the boss/whoever as their target while direct healing someone else). I've never really noticed being constrained by my input speed, Australian latency on the other hand... zzz.

That being said I find healing far more difficult than dpsing, the increased responsibility and the variable nature of damage taken are pretty much the reason for this.
Edited by Ohmandy on 9/15/2013 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Grid and clique works for me
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest

I find with my 81 restoration shaman, that Cataclysm normals are just as hard to heal as WotLK heroics. It's really turning me off, because now I have to pay much more attention to health bars and less to the screen. The culprit is that almost everything does AE damage, so everyone dies almost as fast as each other, and I end up burning out my mana on AE heals with single-target heals for the tank.

Not to mention that personal experience shows that most tanks are fools, for some reason thinking dungeons are a race against their personal best times.... The fact that a good healer keeps them alive despite their idiocy is completely lost on them.

Ok so you have 13 spells beside each name? if thats a 25 man thats a !@#$LOAD of icons that can be really taking up space. yeah..... PS, GH, Penance, FH, POH, POM, Pain Sup, LG, dispell, cascade, Void Shift, binding heal and last but not least, Heal. How can you even see whats going on with all those buttons?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

And I agree you are wrong. Normally I'm at the top of the healing meters, no matter what. I know meters don't count much, but they show who's been healing and who's been healing the most, and who's dispelled the most so. And in PvP always top healing, or at least 2nd, of course that depends on whether or not I was stuck defending. And I use no addons at all. All I've done is keybind, no mouseover macros either, I hate those stupid things.

I've tried Vuhdo and healbot, I found them no more useful than the default raid frames. They're handy, yes, but I'm just as quick at selecting spells by clicking someones frame and hitting my keybind. Almost all spells have a 1 sec GCD anyway and I already beat my global cood downs as it is.

I recently went into flex last week as a healer. One of the people we were running with said to invite an awesome healer friend of hers to help us out. Suffice to say I easily surpassed her leet healer on meters without even popping wings or guardian on the first 2 fights.

It's not just on my main either, I have a little shaman healer in 445 gear who just went into MSV. I was beating out ppl in 502 gear compared to my 450 gear and 390 trinkets. Granted I can't judge how much each healer is trying, but I often pay attention to their mana to see how hard it looks like they're trying, and regardless I know ending a fight with 47 - 80 million healing on a 445 ilvl shaman is pretty decent.

So yes, you're wrong. And no, addons don't always unlock hidden potential. For the majority of people, sure, but there's people like me who don't use addons and use the default UI that outheal others who use Addons.

Addons != skill

Addons can only make a good healer better, they may make a terrible healer bearable, or a semi-decent healer decent. But it's not going to make you a pro, only time and practice can do that.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/15/2013 05:32 AMPosted by Médic
Vuhdo is buggy IMHO.. Healbot does help, even more more with raids. But I am still looking at a corner of the screen and not paying as much attention to the floor or the mobs attacking me

I usually put Vuhdo (10m) on the middle-left of the screen, so I can look at the fight and the healths at the same time.

What bugs do you have with vuhdo?

The only one I noticed it's vuhdo not "refreshing" the players when it's on combat. A player leaves or joins the group and it's refreshed only after the combat stops... Other than that, no issues.

This is not a Vuhdo issue, its a wow frames issue and occurs rather you use mouse over/wow frames, healbot, or vuhdo.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

And I agree you are wrong. Normally I'm at the top of the healing meters, no matter what. I know meters don't count much, but they show who's been healing and who's been healing the most, and who's dispelled the most so. And in PvP always top healing, or at least 2nd, of course that depends on whether or not I was stuck defending. And I use no addons at all. All I've done is keybind, no mouseover macros either, I hate those stupid things.

I've tried Vuhdo and healbot, I found them no more useful than the default raid frames. They're handy, yes, but I'm just as quick at selecting spells by clicking someones frame and hitting my keybind. Almost all spells have a 1 sec GCD anyway and I already beat my global cood downs as it is.

I recently went into flex last week as a healer. One of the people we were running with said to invite an awesome healer friend of hers to help us out. Suffice to say I easily surpassed her leet healer on meters without even popping wings or guardian on the first 2 fights.

It's not just on my main either, I have a little shaman healer in 445 gear who just went into MSV. I was beating out ppl in 502 gear compared to my 450 gear and 390 trinkets. Granted I can't judge how much each healer is trying, but I often pay attention to their mana to see how hard it looks like they're trying, and regardless I know ending a fight with 47 - 80 million healing on a 445 ilvl shaman is pretty decent.

So yes, you're wrong. And no, addons don't always unlock hidden potential. For the majority of people, sure, but there's people like me who don't use addons and use the default UI that outheal others who use Addons.

Addons != skill

Addons can only make a good healer better, they may make a terrible healer bearable, or a semi-decent healer decent. But it's not going to make you a pro, only time and practice can do that.

Why would you hate mouseovers?

You will always be playing gimped without using mouse overs or a heal addon. You will always be slower in response time, which gimps your raid.

That is regardless of your specific "this happened here" story.
Edited by Sampled on 9/27/2013 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
irregardless

oh. no.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I'd say tanking is pretty unforgiving, actually.

Getting a tank spec to perform properly isn't too hard, it's executing raid mechanics that's unforgiving. Killing the raid a few times is a humbling experience.

Personally, I find the idea of healing pretty daunting. As a tank, at least I can control the pace and shape of most fights in dungeons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]