Arcane in 5.4 pve

hi all im just wondering if anyone knows how arcane is measuring up on the ptr for 5.4 is it still a good raid spec or does the new frost mastery overtake it(doubtful) im looking around and all i see is pvp blabbering about 5.4 arcane and i really dont care about that i just want some info on pve anyone have any idea what we are in for?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Depends how much the Combustion nerf hurts Fire as to where Arcane will stand.

In terms of PVE, Frost might overtake Arcane in Cleave fights (which SoO actually seems to have quite a bit of). This was pretty much how it was in 5.2. The biggest difference is the new Frost Mastery makes Frost even stronger at Cleave within its normal rotation.

On the flipside, Frost's Mastery also penalizes it for movement much more than its current Mastery. And unlike Arcane (which is sorta built to be a stop and go spec, Frost really isn't--although on that note, the new Ice Floes redesign seems ideal for Frost in PVE).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Also just a matter of how much you can abuse multidotting. Mastery increases bomb damage and the bomb spell itself costs minimal mana.

If there's fights where we can multidot hardcore, I see myself going Arcane for that. (or if the single target is just better when we can keep our feet planted)
Edited by Digerati on 8/14/2013 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Arcane will almost certainly be the go-to spec for single-target and multidot fights in 5.4.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
And this is where you are wrong. Just because you play Arcane does not make you an awesome mage. Same goes for Fire. The reality is they are all within a few percent of each other, even right now except for those insanely geared or good fire mages that can hit the RNG lottery. I cannot tell you how many times i have joined a raid as Frost, either replacing their core fire mage for a night or just stacking mages. Normally when this happens everyone is bragging about how good their fire mage is and they dont expect me to do anything but not stand in bad and hopefully hit 100k. It is so funny to hear the **** storm over vent when i out dps not only the fire mage but their more heavily geared lock, boomkin or whatever else they have. Frost is a completely viable spec and will continue to be. My ice lance on the ptr in 535 gear was critting for above 300k consistently against just random mobs. All it takes is for someone to know how to play their class to its full potential. When i see a mage other than myself pull over 200k on a fight i might change my mind. So far that has not happened. I would tell you to play the class you are most comfortable with because that will probably end up being the one you can do the most dps with.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
When i see a mage other than myself pull over 200k on a fight i might change my mind. So far that has not happened. I would tell you to play the class you are most comfortable with because that will probably end up being the one you can do the most dps with.

what fight and what difficulty? because on alot of fights 200k is nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
08/14/2013 04:30 PMPosted by Juliuscaesar
When i see a mage other than myself pull over 200k on a fight

That's not particularly a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
When i see a mage other than myself pull over 200k on a fight

i sustain more then that.
Edited by Ruther on 8/17/2013 10:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I cannot tell you how many times i have joined a raid as Frost, either replacing their core fire mage for a night or just stacking mages. Normally when this happens everyone is bragging about how good their fire mage is and they dont expect me to do anything but not stand in bad and hopefully hit 100k. It is so funny to hear the **** storm over vent when i out dps not only the fire mage but their more heavily geared lock, boomkin or whatever else they have.

Seems like you're just playing with bads.
Reply Quote
the problem im seeing is the movement fights. from what i hear the next tier is going to be a very heavy movement instance so arcanes dps will suffer greatly. are they giving us more mobility or are we staying the exact same?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
No one knows for sure yet I don't think arcane will be stronger coming out of the gates but the fact this tiers 4pc is still its BiS next tier combined with the fact fire simply scales better then arcane I can see mages going arcane to fire as the tier progresses.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Arcane will be lul worthy in 5.4 if you know what to use as your new filler. If you haven't figured it out by now, by paying attention to the math behind everything, you'll be floored. However they gave us a new way to keep 4 stack at all times, by buffing something unintentionally. Use it and win if you can realize it.

I say this, and point out that I have had several top 100 parses on 10 normal, and 10 heroics for previous tiers, as well as this current tier. I just couldn't stand ToT and had to walk away from it for a while. Hopefully Siege will be far far better.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hmm I'm intrigued.

Ice Lance?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Ice lance still does next to no damage without a frozen target or FoF. Good luck using it as arcane.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
If you played PTR you would know how things are working before you'd reply to that comment.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I am playing on the PTR. With that said I don't have an arcane spec. Without taking into account arcane's mastery Ice Lance still does very bad damage outside of FoF procs. I guess it comes down to how much mastery you have.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
When i see a mage other than myself pull over 200k on a fight i might change my mind. So far that has not happened.

Ha.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
When i see a mage other than myself pull over 200k on a fight i might change my mind.

Are you serious?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Arcane will be lul worthy in 5.4 if you know what to use as your new filler. If you haven't figured it out by now, by paying attention to the math behind everything, you'll be floored. However they gave us a new way to keep 4 stack at all times, by buffing something unintentionally. Use it and win if you can realize it.

^ And this is why I said watch out for incoming Arcane nerf in 6.0 =P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]