Patch 5.4 Developer Interviews - Updated 8.26

Community Manager
Patch 5.4: Siege of Orgrimmar introduces a ton of exciting new content and features, including Flexible Raiding, a new solo Pet Battle Scenario, the Timeless Isle, Proving Grounds, a new Raid dungeon, and more.

To delve further into what this patch brings to the game, we’ve reached out to many influential fansites and players in the community for the biggest round of developer interviews to-date! As we're already well underway, you can use the list below to track the latest information straight from our developers.

"Audio" and "Video" designations below define the format in which the interview was conducted.

Ion Hazzikostas & Greg Street

Greg Street & Brian Holinka

Tom Chilton, Game Director

Dave Kosak, Lead Quest Designer

Cory Stockton, Lead Content Designer

Greg Street, Lead Systems Designer

Ion Hazzikostas, Lead Encounter Designer

Helen Cheng, Quest Designer

Marco Koegler, Technical Director

Making of "The Burdens of Shaohao"
  • The Instance with Chris Metzen, Doug Gregory & Laurel Austin (Audio)
  • WoW Insider with Micky Neilson & Doug Gregory (Transcript)
Edited by Zarhym on 8/28/2013 2:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Yay interviews! :3
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Sounds interesting I will check that out later after I run my daily HS.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
So many interviews!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
I'm assuming 5.4 won't hit until after all these interviews take place?
Reply Quote
Big props to Zarhym and the other blues for helping organize all these great interviews. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I wonder why Chris Metzen isn't up for these interviews?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
I sent some folks a tweet but I forget that y'all have so many followers so your tweet walls probably looks like Area 52 trade chat on expansion release. Was nice chatting back n forth with y'all in the past and thanks for all the neat stuff coming in 5.4!
Reply Quote
Community Manager

He's not typically a part of the interview rounds for patches. We focus on the folks directly involved in designing and implementing the content.

However! I'm setting up an interview for The Instance with Chris Metzen and other members of our Creative Development team to discuss the making of "The Burdens of Shaohao" animated series. I'm doing the same with WoW Insider and lead story developer Micky Neilson. I'll add them to the list tomorrow once all the details are set. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Good stuff. That animated series was amazing!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

/agreed

please do more stuff like that with the lore, absolutely loved that series.
Reply Quote
08/14/2013 08:12 PMPosted by Zarhym

He's not typically a part of the interview rounds for patches. We focus on the folks directly involved in designing and implementing the content.

However! I'm setting up an interview for The Instance with Chris Metzen and other members of our Creative Development team to discuss the making of "The Burdens of Shaohao" animated series. I'm doing the same with WoW Insider and lead story developer [url="https://twitter.com/MickyNeilson"]Micky Neilson[/url]. I'll add them to the list tomorrow once all the details are set. :)

It's a pity Blizzard doesn't publish this stuff directly, but sends us to a myriad of ad-infested 'fan sites' to get information about the game we play BLIZZARD to play: I hope they pay you a worthwhile fee for it.
Reply Quote
98 Worgen Mage
Looking forward to Watcher's interviews again. Ion's very candid and I respect that.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/14/2013 02:52 PMPosted by Zarhym
[url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/under-dev"]Patch 5.4: Siege of Orgrimmar[/url] introduces a ton of exciting new content and features, including Flexible Raiding, a new solo Pet Battle Scenario, the Timeless Isle, Proving Grounds, a new Raid dungeon, and more.

Cata had HOTs, WLK had ICC5s, and even BC had MgT. Will MOP be the first xpac to not have get-slackers-up-to-speed 5 mans?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
The "get-slackers-up-to-speed 5 mans" for this expansion are the previous tier LFRs.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The "get-slackers-up-to-speed 5 mans" for this expansion are the previous tier LFRs.
Except LFR is terrible and dungeons were much better.
Reply Quote
Except LFR is terrible and dungeons were much better.

And getting a group for previous tier LFRs is generally a long tedious experience, and is just going to get worse. You learn nothing of playing your class/spec. LFRs are a chore, not "fun". Que'ing and running an LFR isn't a quick "I've got an hour so I'll play some WoW!" proposition. Instead of grinding gear with some buds, you're completely and totally at the mercy of RNG for drops...

Which makes WoW less fun, less accessible, and you spend even more of your valuable game time twiddling your thumbs doing enforced "unfun" things...
Edited by Jamesfisk on 8/15/2013 7:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight

As somebody who finds the thematic of MoP a little less thrilling than those of, say, Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King, I have to agree entirely. The storybook method of imparting lore is wonderful.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]