How Do I Heal

86 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'm thinking of making a Priest but I've never healed before. Any advise?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
smite, smite, smite, penance, smite, repeat. Do 100k dps and 120k healing...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Smite spam.
Spirit shell when big damage incoming.
That's all.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Best advice is to go ahead and make one! Get familiar with your spells as you learn them.

Use the default UI to convert your party frames to raid frames if you are not familiar with UI modification. Move these raid style party frames to the bottom center of your screen so you get used to watching everyone's healthbar, debuffs, aggro.

Before trying a dungeon target yourself and cast your healing spells. Become familiar with how long they take to cast, and how much they heal for.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

These grapes are sour.

It really depends on of you want to be disc or holy. Disc is a more of a dps/absorb healer while holy is more of a direct heals with strong aoe.

Holy priest guide http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1613
Disc priest guide http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1837

If you're just starting to make a healer there's not really a whole lot of spells to use in the beginning :p
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Smite spam.
That's all.

This is terrible advice for a person who has never healed before. Honestly. >.> You don't even get Atonement till lvl 38. Sigh.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Priest
Smite spam.
That's all.

How is smite going to heal?
Hon, go and read about it, I'm a beginner too and for last few days that's all I do, read about healing, trying different healing classes/specs and unit frames, macros, all those things needed for healing groups.
I'm still very scared every time I'm doing it and for now I'm choosing the instances depending on how easy are. I skip those more difficult for now, cause I don't want to wipe my group and give up healing all together.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Smite spam.
That's all.

How is smite going to heal?
Hon, go and read about it, I'm a beginner too and for last few days that's all I do, read about healing, trying different healing classes/specs and unit frames, macros, all those things needed for healing groups.
I'm still very scared every time I'm doing it and for now I'm choosing the instances depending on how easy are. I skip those more difficult for now, cause I don't want to wipe my group and give up healing all together.

Smite converts into atonement which is one of the main methods a disc priest heals, which you don't have yet :P You get it at 38, as Weetabix said.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Priest
Smite converts into atonement which is one of the main methods a disc priest heals, which you don't have yet :P You get it at 38, as Weetabix said.

oh...lol, sorry then, I'm really a noob at healing yet.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
08/19/2013 06:03 PMPosted by Likeanangel

Knowing you are a noob is the first step in correcting it. :D

You should try harder dungeons. Challenge yourself! That's the best (only) way to get better. =)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
They're wrong. I mean, for advice to someone who's talking about *starting* a priest.

Firstly, Smite (for healing)/Penance/Spirit Shell are Discipline spec only, and the OP may choose to play Holy spec.

Secondly, if the OP *does* decide to run Disc, Smite is a dps spell which at higher-than-starting-levels, sends out a heal to one of your group equal to the amount it hit the enemy for. It does not transfer its dps into a heal until lvl 38.

This means that whether you choose Disc or Holy spec, you need to use other tools as you *begin* to learn how to heal.

This means you'll do a lot of Renew casting, which is a heal-over-time ability available to both specs, though Disc doesn't use it very much at all at higher levels.

Power Word: Shield is another ability you will have access to at low levels whether you choose Disc or Holy spec, though Holy doesn't use it very much at all (for healing) at higher levels (and doesn't use it *at all* any time they're raiding with a Disc priest as a co-healer).

You also get Flash Heal pretty early on (... though not in time for your first 5mans, I don't think?).

You get Penance the minute you choose Discipline spec, and it's a *very* powerful single-target heal (which later on you can use the same way as Smite... to dps, and have that dps transferred into a heal).

I can't remember what Holy gets early on, I'm ashamed to say ;)

So, as a low-level priest, what you do is cast Renew on the tank as he meets up with the hostile mobs. If you cast it on him before he attacks them, *you* might have too much threat (known as healing aggro) and the enemies may ignore the tank and come to kill *you* in the face, especially if the tank isn't particularly skilled and struggles to remember which button to use.

At low levels, Renew ticks for *ridiculous* amounts of healing and is pretty much all that's needed any time someone is taking damage.

If Renew isn't keeping up with the damage someone is taking, use PW:S on them. As Disc, you can throw a Penance heal at the person in danger. You can also use Flash Heal, but reach for Penance first if you're Disc (it's a faster way to save someone than casting Flash Heal).

In later levels, things get more complicated (too complicated to give much of an answer given that the 2 healing specs are very different from each other), but things are pretty simple to start with, and in fact, the tools you start with are more than enough to get you through dozens of levels of 5man healing. Most Disc priests switch over to Holy Fire/Smite/Penance dps'ing when they get the mechanic which transfers their dps to heals, because it's more exciting to heal that way at that point, and out-dps most of the dps'ers in the group while doing it ;) But if you wanted to, Renew/PW:S/Penance/Flash Heal can keep 5mans afloat in just about any situation for a *very* large amount of leveling.

I'm really a noob at healing yet.

^ and this!

I never say this to be patronizing/obnoxious... it's the literal truth. If you accept that you're new, and there's a whole world of healer information out there which you don't know yet, you're in the best possible state of mind to learn and get better!
Edited by Ellarix on 8/19/2013 6:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/19/2013 06:07 PMPosted by Weetabix

You should try harder dungeons. Challenge yourself! That's the best (only) way to get better. =)

This :D! If you're scared to get thrown into a group, go with a friend or two! Takes a little of the pressure off :)

At lower levels you can get away almost with just shielding especially when you can really start using atonement. You can still use smite though at your level if you want to dps, unless your tank or dps are getting hit like trucks.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Priest

Lol, I have butterflies in my stomach every time I see my name at the healer's role in the beginning of any instance. Then I pity my group thinking how they trust me with their lives when I'm so scared and nervous...
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Priest
This :D! If you're scared to get thrown into a group, go with a friend or two! Takes a little of the pressure off :)

I like this idea very much :)
Thank you for suggestion!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Also, I wanted to comment on Weetabix's UI suggestion:

08/19/2013 05:51 PMPosted by Weetabix
Use the default UI to convert your party frames to raid frames if you are not familiar with UI modification. Move these raid style party frames to the bottom center of your screen so you get used to watching everyone's healthbar, debuffs, aggro.

Additional info for anyone who doesn't know where to start with that is as follows:

Raid Frames are just a different way of seeing the information you're used to seeing on health bars/portraits. Thing is, Raid Frames are *much* better for healers to use, because you can customize them somewhat to your own preferences, and in doing so, you make all of the information you need as a healer show much more clearly. This isn't necessarily important in the first however many levels, but as you level up and Blizz starts throwing new challenges at you for you to learn how to deal with, Raid Frames become invaluable.

*NOTE - you do not have to be lvl 90 to use Raid Frames, and you do not need to be in a "raid" group to use Raid Frames. You can use them at any level, in any kind of PvE or PvP content.

- once you're in-game on your healer, use the Escape button to bring up the game menu.
- choose the "Interface" option.
- On the new pane it will bring up, there's a list down the left-hand side. Choose the "Raid Frames" option.
- explore the different features you can customize on the Raid Frames Options pane.

Some very popular options are:

- Sizing. Make your Raid Frames as small as you can manage, while still being able to make out buff/debuff icons sitting on players.

- Alignment. Some people prefer to play with the raid frames arranged vertically on their screen (ie, stacked one on top of the other, like party frames are) and others prefer to play with the raid frames arranged horizontally on their screen (ie, one next to the other across the screen).

- turn on... uh, I think they call it Resource Bars. This will add a mana bar at the bottom of mana-using characters' raid frames, an energy bar at the botton of energy-using characters' raid frames, etc. Not terribly important in early levels, since your mana probably will sit at 100% until lvl 58+ ;) Still... it can help you easily identify toons in the heat of the battle, since you know the Warrior tank has a Rage bar, not a mana bar etc...

- similarly, some people like playing with the health bars in their raid frames being the class colour of each player in the group (default is green).

- turn on "Display only dispellable debuffs". Later, it will become important for you to dispel players affected with dangerous debuffs. Not all debuffs are dangerous, though, nor are all debuffs dispellable, and as you get into higher-level fights, raid frames can become absolutely *cluttered* with buffs & debuffs. It can make the difference between life and death to be able to keep track of debuffs your class can do something about.

- you can turn Pet Bars on or off (many healers play wtih Pet Bars disabled, since they take up extra room on the screen and also since AoE damage no longer affect pets the way it used to they don't take as much damage/don't die as much as they used to).

There are numbers of other options. Re-visit the Raid Frames Interface every now and then; your preferences may change as you level!

... Like Weetabix says, it's very important to be able to change the position the player health bars occupy on your screen. You need the health bars to be placed near your own toon on the screen (so you can more easily see if you're standing in fire without losing track of other things you need to monitor), and also near your ability bars (in order to be able to monitor abilities with cooldowns, at the very least, without losing track of other things you need to monitor).

Party Frame positioning cannot be changed.

Raid Frame positioning is very customizable.

Once you've enabled Raid Frames in the Interface option menu, the Raid Frames will appear where your Party Frames used to appear. They will be "anchored" to the screen on a long tab at the extreme left margin of your screen. Click on the tab, and it opens up extra Raid Frames options, including the ability to unlock them and move them wherever you want on your screen.

Hope that helps some, though I know it's a wall of text that's completely useless for anyone who already knows this info!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Something that isn't priest specific, but is helpful all around for healers. Learn to let things roll off your back. People will be rude and sometimes you're in the right and sometimes it was your fault. Learn from your mistakes and figure out how to prevent it in the future.

I have learned when I should heal the hunter or when I should let him die because healing him would wipe us.

Also I sometimes took a week break from healing because I was just so beaten down by people. When I came back I felt refreshed.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Priest
08/19/2013 05:51 PMPosted by Weetabix

Additional info for anyone who doesn't know where to start with that is as follows:

Raid Frames are just a different way of seeing the information you're used to seeing on health bars/portraits. Thing is, Raid Frames are *much* better for healers to use, because you can customize them somewhat to your own preferences, and in doing so, you make all of the information you need as a healer show much more clearly. This isn't necessarily important in the first however many levels, but as you level up and Blizz starts throwing new challenges at you for you to learn how to deal with, Raid Frames become invaluable.

*NOTE - you do not have to be lvl 90 to use Raid Frames, and you do not need to be in a "raid" group to use Raid Frames. You can use them at any level, in any kind of PvE or PvP content.

- once you're in-game on your healer, use the Escape button to bring up the game menu.
- choose the "Interface" option.
- On the new pane it will bring up, there's a list down the left-hand side. Choose the "Raid Frames" option.
- explore the different features you can customize on the Raid Frames Options pane.

Some very popular options are:

- Sizing. Make your Raid Frames as small as you can manage, while still being able to make out buff/debuff icons sitting on players.

- Alignment. Some people prefer to play with the raid frames arranged vertically on their screen (ie, stacked one on top of the other, like party frames are) and others prefer to play with the raid frames arranged horizontally on their screen (ie, one next to the other across the screen).

- turn on... uh, I think they call it Resource Bars. This will add a mana bar at the bottom of mana-using characters' raid frames, an energy bar at the botton of energy-using characters' raid frames, etc. Not terribly important in early levels, since your mana probably will sit at 100% until lvl 58+ ;) Still... it can help you easily identify toons in the heat of the battle, since you know the Warrior tank has a Rage bar, not a mana bar etc...

- similarly, some people like playing with the health bars in their raid frames being the class colour of each player in the group (default is green).

- turn on "Display only dispellable debuffs". Later, it will become important for you to dispel players affected with dangerous debuffs. Not all debuffs are dangerous, though, nor are all debuffs dispellable, and as you get into higher-level fights, raid frames can become absolutely *cluttered* with buffs & debuffs. It can make the difference between life and death to be able to keep track of debuffs your class can do something about.

- you can turn Pet Bars on or off (many healers play wtih Pet Bars disabled, since they take up extra room on the screen and also since AoE damage no longer affect pets the way it used to they don't take as much damage/don't die as much as they used to).

There are numbers of other options. Re-visit the Raid Frames Interface every now and then; your preferences may change as you level!

... Like Weetabix says, it's very important to be able to change the position the player health bars occupy on your screen. You need the health bars to be placed near your own toon on the screen (so you can more easily see if you're standing in fire without losing track of other things you need to monitor), and also near your ability bars (in order to be able to monitor abilities with cooldowns, at the very least, without losing track of other things you need to monitor).

Party Frame positioning cannot be changed.

Raid Frame positioning is very customizable.

Once you've enabled Raid Frames in the Interface option menu, the Raid Frames will appear where your Party Frames used to appear. They will be "anchored" to the screen on a long tab at the extreme left margin of your screen. Click on the tab, and it opens up extra Raid Frames options, including the ability to unlock them and move them wherever you want on your screen.

Hope that helps some, though I know it's a wall of text that's completely useless for anyone who already knows this info!

Thank you so much for this!
/bow
Reply Quote
Hello and welcome to healing! I hope you come to enjoy this aspect of the game as much as I do - it's my favorite way to play.

My thread on healer basics might be of some help to you.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794482273
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
08/19/2013 06:07 PMPosted by Weetabix
You should try harder dungeons.

Too bad she won't be able to take that advice for 50 or so levels :)

Seriously though, content will get gradually (with occasional jumps, especially the start of Cata) harder as you level up, which is also when you should be getting more comfortable with your healing tools. More specific advice is probably going to be dependent on which spec you choose (since priests have two healing specs). Usually there is at least one buff and/or heal-over-time that you want to maintain on the tank pretty much constantly.

One tip I have found helpful in 5-mans, regardless of class, is to set the tank as your focus target. That keeps them in a more prominent place on your screen and you can bind a key to cast on focus (so for example if you use Ctrl as your cast on focus key and have a heal bound to say 1, 1 would cast it on your current target and Ctrl-1 would cast it on your focus target, i.e. the tank).

You can only have one focus target though, so in raids you have to pick one tank. Try not to have every healer focusing the same one. But you probably don't have to worry about that for quite a while, depending on how fast you level.

Also, if there's a boss upcoming and your mana is low, say something. A good tank will have noticed already, but a mediocre tank might not and will give you time to drink before pulling. (A terrible tank will ignore your warning and pull anyway, and you can't do anything about that except remind yourself that it wasn't your fault and you tried to warn them.)

08/19/2013 06:51 PMPosted by Ellarix
turn on "Display only dispellable debuffs".

This seems kind of dangerous to me; there are some non-dispellable debuffs that are nevertheless really important. Suppressing junk like Durumu's lightbeam debuffs would be nice, but you wouldn't want to not see his healing reduction, even though it's not dispellable. Although the issue might not arise in leveling dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
08/20/2013 07:23 AMPosted by Calonderiel
turn on "Display only dispellable debuffs".

This seems kind of dangerous to me; there are some non-dispellable debuffs that are nevertheless really important. Suppressing junk like Durumu's lightbeam debuffs would be nice, but you wouldn't want to not see his healing reduction, even though it's not dispellable. Although the issue might not arise in leveling dungeons.

Well, I know I've only cleared Duru on normal, but nope, his healing reduction debuff was not necessary to see. He casts it on his current target, ie, the active tank. So yeah. Pump heals into the active tank. Which is what you'd expect to be doing anyway :)

It takes a while to drop off, once the other tank has taunted, but once the other tank has taunted, the now non-active tank isn't getting smacked in the face by Duru, and the damage they're taking is minimal. Non-existent, actually, other than Light Beam phase and if they happen to get targeted by Life Drain. Damage on Duru is close to 100% avoidable if you're not the active tank.

a) Non-dispellable debuffs are of zero use while leveling
b) Only select raid fights have non-dispellable debuffs
c) As a healer, you will benefit from having only dispellable debuffs shown on the overwhelming majority of LFR, normal, and heroic-mode raid fights
d) By the time you're doing content where you might encounter fights where it's important to see non-dispellable debuffs, you're a much more experienced healer, and will be more used to tweaking stuff on a fight-by-fight basis (reforges, talents, glyphs, and yes... UI functionality).

["you" in the above context is directed at any leveling healers reading this]
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]