Can a healer not have spirit?

90 Gnome Mage
So my lvl 85 paladin is a healer and I was wondering which is more important, to have an item that is plate but doesn't have spirit, just int and stamina or to have a leather/mail/cloth item with spirit?
Is spirit so important that you can't wear in item without it?
Thanks in advance ;)
Reply Quote
Is it so important that you'd have to have Spirit in every slot? No. Nothing wrong with gear that has no Spirit, but you still want to strike a balance so you have enough Spirit regen depending on your needs.

Note that using an item of a lower armor type is NOT a good idea as you lose the 5% Int bonus from your armor specialization, which is Plate for Paladins.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
to have an item that is plate but doesn't have spirit, just int and stamina or to have a leather/mail/cloth item with spirit?

Are you running out of mana?

Int effects how hard you heal.

Spirit ups your regen so you can heal more times.

a level 85 is not going to need all spirit. There is a weird crunch of stats as you get closer to 90. A fresh 90 is going to be starving for spirit no matter what due to the way stats scale for end game.

This goes away pretty quick once you get a few pieces of 90 gear.
Reply Quote
61 Goblin Death Knight
There is no other spec in the game that would use intellect plate; That item was put in the game specifically for you to wear.

Also, you're probably better off wearing a piece of agility plate rather than mail/leather/cloth with spirit.

(If agility plate was something that, you know... existed.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
(If agility plate was something that, you know... existed.)

Actually, IT STILL DOES.

I know, I was surprised, too! But a few months back, when I was leveling my Monk, I ran into a Paladin wearing a full set of random green plate that all had agility on it. He was also using Agility trinkets and an Agility main hand and random-stat shield.

:D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
spirit depends on the content your going for.

LFR i could prolly get by with 5k or less maybe 4500

But as for regs and heroics no
Reply Quote
61 Goblin Death Knight
I know that there's a lot of weird stuff around at low levels, and even up to WotLK content, but I thought that by Cata they'd gotten rid of it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I know that there's a lot of weird stuff around at low levels, and even up to WotLK content, but I thought that by Cata they'd gotten rid of it.
Nope still greens with agility on them
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Check the AH sometime, there's plenty of green plate of the tiger etc. even in MoP levels.

It's mainly DE bait, but it still does exist for some reason known only to Blizzard.

As for the OP's question, you need some spirit (except mistweavers need less, which Blizzard is supposedly going to change at some point but not next patch), but you don't need spirit on every single piece of gear you wear. Unlike int, which by that level should be on every single piece of gear you wear.

Also, I second the recommendation to not break your plate specialization bonus if you can possibly avoid it. 5% int is a bigger deal than the amount of spirit you can get from one piece anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Yea I really don't understand why they wouldn't put something in place to stop the random stat items from generating useless stats for the armor type. Got a cloth bracer while running LFR a month ago I think that had expertise on it. Keeping it to get a head start when Discipline is changed to a cloth-wearing, shield-based, tank spec.

Short answer to the question in the subject line: No.

Answer to the question posed in your post: It is OK for a few pieces to be without spirit, but generally not a good idea anymore to wear different armor type than your class is designed for.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Got a cloth bracer while running LFR a month ago I think that had expertise on it

expertise=hit
You loose 5% int for not having all plate
Edited by Lunarshadow on 8/16/2013 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I know this holy pally and he's running 6k spirit at lv90 in 13/13H.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

I'd love to see those WoLs.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/17/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Ocyla

Seriously.

It's also possible they did it after clearing content you know when they were fully geared and experimenting with stats :p
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

She wasn't kidding. He's in her guild, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/amanthul/Holysack/simple - Except this shows him at just over 7k Spirit. Also, here are their logs for Heroic ToT, including from Heroic Jinrokh all the way to Ra-Den.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/xjm0ok0pbmrsc2o6/analyze/hd/source/?enc=bosses

Looks like he did just fine with 7k Spirit.
Edited by Debö on 8/17/2013 1:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Human Hunter
Yes, plate with agil still exists I have found some.

Yes, spirit is important and there is enough plate with spirit/int that you shouldnt have to use other types and sacrifice you 5% stat bonus.

Use plate. If you have to fill in your set with a few str items until you find healer gear do it. Healing is a joke at 85, I did half a instance at 85 before I released I still had my dps gear on.

At 90, personally I go spirit>int>mastery>crit/haste. There is lots of healer plate out there and its not that taugh to get. If you have a BS friend you can forge a whole healer set of plate with a few $.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Sorry I didn't mean it in the sense of "you're joking" XD I'd be afraid to do that with my spirit but my team even on normals seems to bring me to my knees in healing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Spirit is a comfort stat. You adjust it based on your personal needs. I run with about 10k, and will juggle flasks based on whether I run OOM on the fight or not. The higher my relative gear level compared to the content the less spirit I need.

Right now mastery tends to outweigh it by quite a bit, with crit being or relatively equal value depending on overheal%. Haste just costs too much for the returns.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I personally have always ran a low spirit build. It's really a matter of comfort and how well you know your personal and class needs. I think up to my first ji-kun kill a couple of weeks ago I was running about 6300 spirit at 483 item level. granted it's only 6/12 and on normal to boot, but durumu healing didn't seem to be any more intense - I'll have to look into how long the next 6 bosses are - but luckily i've gotten a few upgrades since then.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

She wasn't kidding. He's in her guild, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/amanthul/Holysack/simple - Except this shows him at just over 7k Spirit. Also, here are their logs for Heroic ToT, including from Heroic Jinrokh all the way to Ra-Den.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/xjm0ok0pbmrsc2o6/analyze/hd/source/?enc=bosses

Looks like he did just fine with 7k Spirit.

Explains why his hps is terribly low for someone clearing ToT.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]