Which healer has the most DPS?

90 Dwarf Warlock
Might be an odd question, but yeah, which deals the most damage?

In a list like this > this > this > this?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Mistweavers and disc have the highest damage capabilities, and can also continue to contribute to healing through damage-to-healing passive abilities (eminence for mistweaver, atonement for disc). Mistweavers should also prioritize maintaining Renewing Mist coverage/uptime while damaging, allowing them to heal through uplift if the situation calls for it.

For scenarios where a healer's contribution to damage *in a short timeframe* matters more than their sustained dps, resto druids can help a lot with their damage potential while Heart of the Wild is active (though they will sacrifice their healing potential if they wish to do damage).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Frozen pretty well summed it up... but I have to say... this made me curious... why do you want to know that?

Not flaming or anything... just curious
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Let's not forget about holy priests, they can do pretty high damage in their DPS chakra. But they lose healing and would have to wait 30(?) seconds to switch back to their normal healing state.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Sorry, I did forgot about holy. Holy has a higher sustained dps potential than disc does, probably higher than mw as well, though it tends to be overlooked because it does not provide the healing that disc can do at the same time, and the chakra cooldown (you're correct, 30s) can be pretty punitive if it's not timed well. (I should feel especially bad for forgetting, because I tend to go into red chakra on my priest in lfr out of boredom)

Note that I was also referring specifically to single-target dps, though not too much changes when we're talking about aoe. MWs can do significant aoe damage with chi burst and spinning crane kick, priests can channel mind sear (much better as holy because of red chakra and mana concerns) and use their level 90 talents. Resto druids can hurricane which is more or less disappointing if not used with HoTW for sustained aoe given its mana cost, but it can be used with soul of the forest for decent damage if adds die quickly.
Edited by Frozenorange on 8/17/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I fear that atonement and fistweaving will dominate endless proving grounds.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
no... no it will not

not at all... lol... doesn't do nearly enough healing for the healing PG or enough DPS for that one either... at least not the last timeI was playing with it... lol
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

They don't at all dominate the current iteration of healer balance + proving grounds on PTR. Resto druids are actually probably top dog - I've made it to wave 66; I don't know of anyone who's made it anywhere close to that with a different class/spec (not saying they haven't, I just don't know about it).

Mistweavers lack the single-target healing throughput to deal with the tank damage. Disc lacks the total throughput/burst healing to deal with the large hive singers in later waves.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
What about holy paladin?

Frozen pretty well summed it up... but I have to say... this made me curious... why do you want to know that?

Not flaming or anything... just curious

I'll be making a healer soon, so I am mostly just curious. For no good reason I guess, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
All healing a side, from a pure dps stand point I think that Holy priest might have the best followed by disc. I am not sure about shammies a druids though
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
Another question, going off of my other one in post #9, are Holy Paladins usually forgotten about? I mean, only spec that doesn't have an heirloom set, I'd say I hear the least about hpal, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
druids have good burst DPS with HotW, but not much for sustained. Shaman as far as I've been able to mete out, not so much... lol... but I'm not a shaman expert by any means.

Holy will lock you into Chastise Chakra for 30 seconds to get the DPS boost which is less healing done. Disc is a nice balance for DPS and healing at the same time. I'm afraid I haven't done anything with a MW to have any idea how they are balance between the two though.

e: you know... I'm honestly not sure about holy pallies... lol... I always miss a healer class whenI try to list them...lol
Edited by Zoevil on 8/17/2013 3:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Human Hunter
IMO, Monks hands down. In my not so good gear I can get 60k without much difficulty. In 5 man heroics I usually get #2 or #3 (and sometimes #1) while healing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
A Holy Pally's DPS is more about utility than actual damage. Holy Shock does a little damage on a longish CD, but it generates Holy Power. Ditto for Crusader Strike, which can also return mana. Judgement no longer returns mana, but can be talented for a speed boost. Denounce spam is sometimes used in PvP for crit reduction. There are talents and glyphs that can be taken to improve a pally's DPS, but are generally seen as inferior to the healing or mana return glyphs for raiding.

If you are simply looking to level a healer, and do not want a DPS spec for questing and the like, it is hard to go wrong with a Disc priest or MW monk. Both are very strong for DPS and general questing utility, even at low levels. I wouldn't try it with a pally, shaman, or druid. Any of those classes really do better for leveling with some sort of DPS or tanking OS and at least shaman and druids can share gear between specs while leveling.

Holy pallies are kind of shafted for leveling, both in terms of heirlooms and having to maintain two sets of gear. :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Unless you glyph and talent for it, Holy Pally dps is pretty lacklustre. Even if you do glyph and talent it's not going to set the pond on fire. It's ok but will seem painfully slow if you're used to dps classes. Glyphing/talenting for damage will reduce your ability to heal so it's a tradeoff.

If you're looking to level a holy pally you can use cloth/leather/mail healing heirlooms and do fine. It really only becomes an issue once you hit 50 and lose your plate bonus and even then it's probably not worth the stat/XP bonus loss to equip non heirloom plate.

Personally I usually just run holy/ret and suck up the 2 sets of gear issue because I can't stand the slowness of holy dps. YMMV
Edited by Sarakatawen on 8/17/2013 7:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

It's actually FAR easier as Holy than disc.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
08/17/2013 03:34 PMPosted by Drognir
What about holy paladin?

Holy pally dps is acceptable for daily quests, but comparing to mistweavers or disc (or red-footed holy priests)... it is vastly underwhelming.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's actually FAR easier as Holy than disc.

I've actually had more luck as disc than as holy since they added a mob to wave 3, changed the logic on PoM, and I learned how to ensure I can drink between wave 10-11.
Reply Quote
72 Pandaren Warrior
As someone who likes to fistweave in LFR, I can say that MW monks damage is greatest in AoE fights up to 5 targets due to the BoK cleave, but is either on par or weaker than disc when it comes to single target.

One of my favorite things to do on LFR Lei Shen is to make sure I have one less than max chi when he summons Lightning Orbs and then use several Jab+ MM powered BoK in a row for a lot of damage and healing, and Invoke Xuen helps out a lot.

Holy and Disc are on the opposite side, with great single target damage, but lackluster to nonexistant AoE unless you glyph Holy Nova.

Not sure about Shaman, druid, or Pallys.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Holy and Disc are on the opposite side, with great single target damage, but lackluster to nonexistant AoE unless you glyph Holy Nova.

Mind Sear is amazing as Red Chakra holy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]