ESO monthly subscription rate set at $14.99

90 Dwarf Rogue
Just your typical monthly subscription model with discounts for advanced payments like in WoW.
Edited by Notagin on 8/21/2013 3:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
And people thought it would be f2p.
Reply Quote
70 Goblin Warlock
I'm honestly okay with this. So long as they give me something to keep playing and paying for, I'll gladly shell out $15.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
I'm honestly okay with this. So long as they give me something to keep playing and paying for, I'll gladly shell out $15.

People are more conscious about the time/money tradeoff since the Great Recession. Switch from contract to pre-paid smartphones. Re-!@#$er cable packages they don't watch much. Even skip cable tv subscriptions all together and watch their favorite shows on Netflix or Amazon at $1.99 per episode.

It's gonna be the same for mmo subs. Many people will devote their time to one mmo or the other and won't sub to both.

Can the devs keep enough eyeballs focused on WoW with patch content until the next xpac? WoW's sub numbers next year are going to be interesting to watch.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Big budget, big franchise, big hype... then 15$ a month. This is SW:TOR all over again.

People will never learn. ESO will be dead on arrival.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Well I'm glad it's not F2P. If you're griping over hours upon hours of entertainment a month for a measly $15 you're either a cheapskate or in a financial position where videogames are the least of your worries.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
Well I'm glad it's not F2P. If you're griping over hours upon hours of entertainment a month for a measly $15 you're either a cheapskate or in a financial position where videogames are the least of your worries.

People in general are more careful about spending money on things they don't use but it's not just the $14.99 per month. It's also about the time commitment. Even kids in college have limited amounts of time for gaming.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
Big budget, big franchise, big hype... then 15$ a month. This is SW:TOR all over again.

Elder Scrolls fans will look at ESO as a followup to Skyrim. If Zenimax doesn't totally botch it, they will sell millions of copies of ESO.

How many subscribe after the initial free period and one or two quarters after release is less certain.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
08/21/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Notagin

People in general are more careful about spending money on things they don't use but it's not just the $14.99 per month. It's also about the time commitment. Even kids in college have limited amounts of time for gaming.

If you have no time to commit to gaming an MMO is the wrong genre to invest any money into in the 1st place. And also who on earth actually buys a product with no intention of using it?

Do you expect them to idiotproof the game and/or payment model for people that buy things they have no time to use?
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Monk

Pretty much this.
Reply Quote
Actually, this is pretty much standard for MMO's. The alternative is to have a cash shop. $14.99/month is VERY cheap for entertainment...provided the game is good. For that, we'll just have to play it and see.

However, that's not what my main question is. WHERE are you people getting this information that it is $14.99/month? I don't see any announcements on the ESO official site.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Monk
Actually, this is pretty much standard for MMO's. The alternative is to have a cash shop. $14.99/month is VERY cheap for entertainment...provided the game is good. For that, we'll just have to play it and see.

However, that's not what my main question is. WHERE are you people getting this information that it is $14.99/month? I don't see any announcements on the ESO official site.

It's all over the place.

IGN, Forbes, Joystiq
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
And ESO is now out of the picture for me.

The subscription model is dead. You'd have to be a masochist to use a failed model.
Reply Quote

It's all over the place.

IGN, Forbes, Joystiq

But is this official, or just more rumor-spreading like people do with Blizzard? Blizzard hints at maybe trying something, and suddenly it's all over the internet. If Zenimax made an official announcement, why isn't it on the ESO site?
Edited by Vralok on 8/21/2013 5:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue

Saw the reference on their Twitter. Gamer news sites filled in the blanks. The pr people in the U.S. were probably still asleep since the tweet was posted in the morning Europe time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Sorry, but I don't enjoy punching in credit card info every 10 minutes to enjoy a game. F2P games nickel and diming us isn't my idea of fun, and why WoW's shop is borderline insulting considering the sub.

There are enough Elder Scrolls fanboys frothing at the mouth for a new ES game to get this one off the ground, regardless of payment model. We'll see if the content is worth it, but I bet it will be.
Reply Quote
69 Undead Mage
Sorry, but I don't enjoy punching in credit card info every 10 minutes to enjoy a game. F2P games nickel and diming us isn't my idea of fun, and why WoW's shop is borderline insulting considering the sub.

There are enough Elder Scrolls fanboys frothing at the mouth for a new ES game to get this one off the ground, regardless of payment model. We'll see if the content is worth it, but I bet it will be.

Trust Me...Don't bet.
Reply Quote

and yet they play wow /boggle

People have the same amount of time today as they did 10 years ago. Just because you and I may have less time now than then doesn't mean your average gamer does.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
08/21/2013 07:18 PMPosted by Dyros
Sorry, but I don't enjoy punching in credit card info every 10 minutes to enjoy a game.

So...

you mean...

the Subscription model...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
08/21/2013 08:12 PMPosted by Dirtyoutlaw

and yet they play wow /boggle

People have the same amount of time today as they did 10 years ago. Just because you and I may have less time now than then doesn't mean your average gamer does.

I think how people think about their leisure time and money has changed over the years, one reason being the Great Recession.

Maybe the 1% or even the top 5% weren't affected. Everyone else? This is America where most families are falling behind. Just look at the average increase in U.S. wages adjusted for inflation over the past 25 years.

So yeah it does affect your average gamer. Like college kids with their mountains of student loan debt.
Edited by Notagin on 8/21/2013 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]