Hearthstone Beta Keys selling for over $300

MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior
I have to agree with this here. Is that much cash and risk really worth being able to play in the Beta of a free-to-play game a little bit sooner than everyone else?

They're also wiping progress prior to release. So it's not like it's a head start.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
YOU MEAN I COULD HAVE SOLD MY FOR 300$

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT

pay with gold just once and you get a legendary card that no one else can get

it is a head start
Edited by Darkcherry on 8/24/2013 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Blizzard isn't happy about it, that's certain. Given that, I'd be extremely wary of buying a key anywhere (waste $$$ just to have it removed?). Not to mention you'd have to trust who you're dealing with.

With an open beta down the road and the game ftp, doesn't seem like a good risk to take.

ding ding ding....winner. You pay ...log in ...and your account is closed within 24 hours.

It could take you months to get reimbursed from Ebay even if you could prove intent to defraud.
Reply Quote
You can an in game mount when you play the Beta. It's like how the blizzcon pets and mounts sell for a lot of money they are rare and you won't be able to obtain them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
plus what money you put into beta you get ingame money once it starts up again. So yes you do get headstart from keeping gold you used and having carry over and getting a card no one else can get once it goes live.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
You can an in game mount when you play the Beta. It's like how the blizzcon pets and mounts sell for a lot of money they are rare and you won't be able to obtain them.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/10580505/state-of-the-game-8-7-2013#best

"We've mentioned previously that you'll be able to spend real money in the beta to purchase card packs and Arena entry... We previously noted that as a thank-you for helping us test the in-game store, we'd be offering a special token of appreciation to beta testers who make a real-money in-game purchase during the beta test...That gift will be a golden version of Gelbin Mekkatorque...he won't be available through crafting or getting a lucky hit inside a card pack."

You dont get a mount, you get a Gelbin card. Not sure if thats worth 300 dollars but i guess if people want to buy it....
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Blizzard isn't happy about it, that's certain. Given that, I'd be extremely wary of buying a key anywhere (waste $$$ just to have it removed?). Not to mention you'd have to trust who you're dealing with.

With an open beta down the road and the game ftp, doesn't seem like a good risk to take.

On top of that, Blizzard stated that there will be wipes of your cards. Meaning that even if you get a Legendary card for the beta, you aren't going to have it going into the release. So you'd be wasting your money for not only something that will be gone, perhaps in very little time (the Legendary card), but also for a game that will not cost you anything unless you purchase decks of cards yourself after the fact.

In light of that information, players selling keys could easily be considered scamming and face legal retribution from Blizzard (and places like eBay will suspend/delete accounts when companies like Blizzard come knocking on their door about transactions such as these).

Unfortunately, be it from ignorance or impatience, there will be plenty of people that fall for these scams. :(
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Nah, the Gold Gelbin card will be re-added upon official release, but every other card will be removed and any real cash you spent on packs will be returned to your account as gold.

However, I don't believe any gold you earn in the Beta will carry over. Just real cash you spend.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
A fool and his money are easily parted.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

Was the twitch guy Elloheim or something liek that banned from the Beta for asking for donations for a chance to win a beta key? If not, then Blizzard doesn't care one iota.

They gave Swifty beta keys to give away, fully knowing he requires a fee to watch his twitch casts. If they haven't banned him, they don't care one Iota.
Edited by Fairadey on 8/25/2013 12:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
On top of that, Blizzard stated that there will be wipes of your cards. Meaning that even if you get a Legendary card for the beta, you aren't going to have it going into the release. So you'd be wasting your money for not only something that will be gone, perhaps in very little time (the Legendary card), but also for a game that will not cost you anything unless you purchase decks of cards yourself after the fact.

Some of these people like those I mentioned in my previous post are in essence not paying for their own cards, and while all the money is going to Blizzard they will reap the rewards of hundreds or more packs of cards when the game goes live unless their accounts are banned.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Meaning that even if you get a Legendary card for the beta, you aren't going to have it going into the release

Which makes me sad every time I read that (I already knew this before receiving my code). The first pack I opened I received: http://imgur.com/fxU4Qvz

If people are that desperate to get into Hearthstone beta, more power to them. I honestly don't see the reason why people are that desperate to get in unless they're dedicated hardcore collectors that want the promo card for their collection.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I know a few mount collectors are wanting in for the horse Hearthsteed which won't be available once it goes live.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I know a few mount collectors are wanting in for the horse Hearthsteed which won't be available once it goes live.

The Hearthsteed isn't attached to the beta. The only thing we get for participating in the beta is a gold legendary that won't be available once closed beta ends.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Because a fool and his money are easily parted.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Seems a bit pointless considering they've said there will be an open beta eventually.

Well considering they've only handed out a small number of keys and people want to play the game now, not "eventually" in open beta, there's obviously a point to paying for it. I guess you just missed it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

The Hearthsteed isn't attached to the beta. The only thing we get for participating in the beta is a gold legendary that won't be available once closed beta ends.

this.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
when will be the open beta
Reply Quote
27 Tauren Druid
Im buy to $100
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]