Elly's Exceptionelle Eggs Benedict(Healer OT)

100 Human Priest
"Nautical mile (n mi) – one minute of arc of a great circle"

Is a what of a what?

One minute of arc is 1/60 of a degree. One degree is one "hour" in terms of measurement. (You also can have one second of arc, which is equal to 1/60 of a minute of arc.)

A great circle is any circle that passes through the center of a sphere (think of it like cutting an orange into two equal halves - once you cut it in half, open the orange and look at the two halves; they are each circles). Nautical miles are measured using the same thing, but making imaginary cuts through the center of the earth. The reason the cuts have to go through the center is otherwise you could make really large or really small circles which would mess up your ability to use that as a measurement. Compare cutting the earth horizontally at the equator - two approximately equal pieces - to cutting it horizontally at the arctic circle (you'd end up with a tiny little piece at the top and then the entire rest of the earth, with a much smaller circle being the "cut"). Making the two pieces be the same size (by passing through the exact center) guarantees that all of your circles are the same size.

http://i.imgur.com/cn74Tnf.png

And this? That's where I got really confused.
Where did the +30 come from? What is this?!

Can't see the whole page but looks like it is because one of the points you are measuring is on the far side of the north pole, so you have to add a full 90 degrees to get from equator to north pole, then add an additional 30 degrees past that to get to point "B". (Since the North Pole is at 90 degrees N, 90-60 makes 30 more to get to 60 degrees N on the far side.)
90 Troll Priest
Winni, you are not dumb. Far from it.

Knowledge of a subject does not equate to intelligence.
90 Dwarf Priest
I hope that the textbook and lecture make all clear (although the orange thing...we are getting there).
At this point trying to prepare for tomorrow I am categorizing information in four categories:

1. I know this.
2. This seems familiar.
3. I've never heard this before but fits with what I know.
4. Huh?This is for paragraphs, statements and formula that I only grasp prepositions, conjunctions and a smattering of symbols for.

Not even sure how to ask questions about some of the information presented.
"What part didn't you understand?"
"Any part that was not of/the/and/a/an/or generally."
90 Troll Priest
I generally start with vocabulary I don't understand, the general ideas, then the big picture.

So when they ask you what you don't understand, first explain that you're completely unfamilar. And then inquire of the strict definition of the words. For example, a Nautical Mile --

But then, what does that mean? What are it's applications? Who uses it? Why do they use it?

Then I try to see it from a variety of viewpoints. If I was some amount of nautical miles from this location ... etc

You have to start from the center of an idea, and work your way outwards to a greater picture of understanding.
27 Troll Druid
Why are servers down? That's a bit weird.

And I just realized that I picked the same hairstyle and exact same skin tone for this character. Maybe I can get her to 90 before patch? Maybe? Hmmm?
Edited by Naérdriel on 8/23/2013 5:42 AM PDT
91 Blood Elf Priest
Man guys, doing random battlegrounds can be eventful.

Yesterday I killed a Frost Mage 1-on-1 in Temple of Kotmogu, outside the little structure. This was confounding to me. Never during this 4+ minute fight did she Deep Freeze me. Most I got from her was a Counterspell on cooldown. Near the very end, she Ice Block'd at ~5% and a Hunter came up behind me and started laying in to me. So I sat there, healing through the Huntard, waiting for the Mage's Block to expire. Sure enough it did, and I SW:D her in her blue goat face. Then I /cackle at the Hunter as a I run back into the middle. I was the only healer, and it felt good that I didn't have to heal my posterior off like I usually do in that BG.

Just today, I was in a WSG match. Our FC was a Blood DK, and my fellow healer was a HPriest in full Tyrannical. Our dps was bit on the derpy side, so we were winning 1-0 and the debuff went to 10. HPriest gripped fc on to mound right after flag was returned, that killed the Alli's self-esteem and we got the 3rd cap with no resistance.
100 Blood Elf Monk
zZq
You can hit 90 before patch!
90 Troll Priest
Yesterday I killed a Frost Mage 1-on-1 in Temple of Kotmogu, outside the little structure. This was confounding to me. Never during this 4+ minute fight did she Deep Freeze me. Most I got from her was a Counterspell on cooldown. Near the very end, she Ice Block'd at ~5% and a Hunter came up behind me and started laying in to me. So I sat there, healing through the Huntard, waiting for the Mage's Block to expire. Sure enough it did, and I SW:D her in her blue goat face. Then I /cackle at the Hunter as a I run back into the middle. I was the only healer, and it felt good that I didn't have to heal my posterior off like I usually do in that BG.

Just today, I was in a WSG match. Our FC was a Blood DK, and my fellow healer was a HPriest in full Tyrannical. Our dps was bit on the derpy side, so we were winning 1-0 and the debuff went to 10. HPriest gripped fc on to mound right after flag was returned, that killed the Alli's self-esteem and we got the 3rd cap with no resistance.

I really need to PvP. This went over my head. WOOSH. But it sounds fun!

You can hit 90 before patch!

I hope so. I was thinking I could start early Saturday morning and then play until raid, then after raid level some more. I LOVE this druid. I want to heal all the things D: I do like my warlock but I dont' like waiting for queues and I'm not really interested in DPS'ing at a high level so she'll sit.
Edited by Naér on 8/23/2013 6:09 AM PDT
90 Draenei Shaman
Early morning (((hugs))) for Winni

I did not know that the distance the earth's equator travels as it spins on it's axis for one minute was called a Nautical Mile! I've heard the term before but no one ever equated it to a "minute" of an arc, so yay - I learned something new today!

I was always very angry that they decided to call the bits of in-between latitudes "minutes". I mean, I understood that one "minute" of a degree was measured by the distance the earth's equator travels as it spins on it's axis for one minute, but it bothered me terrible (and continues to irk me) that they didn't come up with another term.

Now I find out that they *did* ... though they don't use the term nautical mile for measuring degrees, they still use "minute" so... where the HELL does the term "nautical mile" even get *used*???
90 Troll Priest
cuz us murcans cant use teh reel mesuremint systym that every1 else lieks
90 Draenei Paladin
08/23/2013 06:33 AMPosted by Ellarix
I mean, I understood that one "minute" of a degree was measured by the distance the earth's equator travels as it spins on it's axis for one minute

That isn't true though. There are 24x60 = 1440 minutes in a day, and 360x60 = 21 600 arcminutes in a full rotation.

where the HELL does the term "nautical mile" even get *used*???
This may sound patronising, but it gets used on ships.
71 Troll Druid
My two kittens are so destructive.

They remind me of me.
90 Troll Priest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_mile

It seems like there isn't really a good replacement for it. Though, it's accepted for use internationally even though it's a non SI unit. Interesting.

But really. This is interesting.

The bf is very familiar since he was Navy. He sent me: "Really? Let's never put you in charge of a ship's navigation" when I asked why it was used still via text. It's apparently about 1.85 KM. I looked it up-- 1.852 kilometres (exact)

My two kittens are so destructive.

They remind me of me.

Awwww kittttties. My new cat settled in just fine though I feel bad she's home alone today =(
Edited by Naér on 8/23/2013 6:49 AM PDT
100 Gnome Monk
Man guys, doing random battlegrounds can be eventful.

World PvP can be interesting as well.

When I was on a PvP server I was out doing quests in the Jade Forest on my warrior when some Horde shadow priest started going after me. My first thought was it had to be a tab target mistake because who would attack a cute little girl gnome? When I got to around half health I decided it had to end so I charged, locked him down and took his lunch money.

I saw him shortly after at the quest turn ins so I waved. He ran to the flight path and took off. I guess he was being shy.

08/23/2013 06:33 AMPosted by Ellarix
I did not know that the distance the earth's equator travels as it spins on it's axis for one minute was called a Nautical Mile!

Fun fact, a parsec (around 3.25 lightyears) is one arc second as measured from the sun. I'm sure wikipedia has a much better explanation of that.

Nautical miles are typically used for ocean travel thus the name.
90 Draenei Paladin
08/23/2013 06:50 AMPosted by Kipery
Fun fact, a parsec (around 3.25 lightyears) is one arc second as measured from the sun. I'm sure wikipedia has a much better explanation of that.

It's how far away you have to be from the Sun for the Earth and the Sun to look 1 degree apart.

A diagram is the easiest way to understand it though.
90 Draenei Shaman
08/23/2013 06:40 AMPosted by Tarski
I mean, I understood that one "minute" of a degree was measured by the distance the earth's equator travels as it spins on it's axis for one minute

That isn't true though. There are 24x60 = 1440 minutes in a day, and 360x60 = 21 600 arcminutes in a full rotation.

then I'm back to being 100% confused. In fact, my confusion has increased.

How can "the distance the earth travels as it spins on its axis" x the # of minutes in a 24hr period NOT equal the # of arcminutes in a full rotation?

I mean, other than the small-ish discrepancy which would be expected, given that we need to account for Leap Year once every 4 years?
90 Draenei Paladin

How can "the distance the earth travels as it spins on its axis" x the # of minutes in a 24hr period NOT equal the # of arcminutes in a full rotation?

Because minutes of time aren't arcminutes.

There are historical reasons for why they have the same word in them, but one is not defined in terms of the other.
100 Human Priest
A minute of time is 1/60 of an hour. An hour of time is 1/24 of a day.

A minute in measurement is 1/60 of a degree. A degree is 1/360 of a circle.

The earth rotates 360 degrees in 24 hours, which means that you have to go 15 degrees of rotation every hour. As a result of this, during one minute of time you travel 15 arcminutes.
90 Draenei Shaman

Because minutes of time aren't arcminutes.

There are historical reasons for why they have the same word in them, but one is not defined in terms of the other.

/really pissed off at arcminutes
90 Troll Priest
If a time machine is invented, I insist that we have a measurement naming committee be the first to visit other time periods. This is silly.

It makes sense such that a minute is a 1/60'th of something, it probably has it's roots in language I assume?
Edited by Naér on 8/23/2013 7:08 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]