What raid healer are you?

90 Undead Warlock
Are you a rabbit healer? Quickly topping off players making sure everyone is 100% all the time?

Are you a patient healer tossing hots or smaller heals and letting peoples health bar gradually fill?

I can see the need for both honestly, quick top off for huge incoming raid wide damage, and patient healing to preserve mana.

"Warlock why do you ask such silly things in the healer forums?" you might be asking yourself.

Well a guild of friends I raid with seem to have to 3 heal everything no matter how well geared anyone is. They will oom on elite protectors with none of them breaking 30k hps.

If you take the same group and replace the 3 heals with 1 more dps and 2 similarly geared pug healers, no issues, no ooming mostly.

I know there is no simple answer for these things lots of times. But from speaking with each healer individually they seem to be convinced that if you are under 95% health you need a heal, period.

I am trying to encourage the idea that 80%+ is ok unless you know something big is gonna happen (say a overload on stone guard that isn't petrifying) .

I have not really healed anything but lfr in MoP on my shammy (es tank, UE, HR, HST, RT, occasional cast heal, cds.. easy peasy) and normally top 2 in heals even as his OS, with not much mana trouble. All that said lfr vs 10m is not the same thing.

Any thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yeah, I sorta do both. I raid on my disc priest and if someone is low but not in any danger of dying, I just keep atonement healing or shield them. On my druid though if I notice someone is at say 80%, I'd put rejuv on them and wild growth if it's several people.

Some people when healing freak out and act as if everyone needs to be 100% at all times and don't trust their other healers.

When you're overhealing content it turns into a snipe fest which sometimes turns into an oom fest :p A lot of normal fights now can be healed with 1 geared healer or 2 semi-geared ones. I find 3 healing content that no longer needs to be 3 healed extremely boring.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Thanks for the insight Veroicone.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Well this late into content healing becomes a game of trying to snipe the other healers, as fast as possible, or for as much healing as possible (I.E MW Monk popping revival right as I pop tranq) it's fun and makes healing overhealed content enjoyable. (Such as when DPS pad meters by focusing Horridon).

However, there is a fine line between sniping and having fun on farm content vs sniping and causing wipes. Honestly, you need to pull your healers into vent/mumble and have a chat about this sniping game they're playing, and give them an ultimatum: 1) Fix your issues, and stop trying to snipe each other or 2) G-kick and replaced.

Don't let them feign ignorance, as this is the only reason they can oom and only do 30k HPS.
Edited by Druidboii on 8/15/2013 7:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
A lot depends on the class you are healing with also. As a druid, it puts me in a much better place having 1-3 HoTs already ticking on someone before they take damage rather than trying to play catch up after the damage has already occurred. Healing with HoTs can be like trying to turn a blimp, you have to plan ahead. HoTs just don't heal quick enough to be able to be used as purely reactive heals in many cases. It's a constant battle of trying to "stay ahead" of the damage, and keeping everyone at 100% when possible gives you the best chance of achieving that goal.

They just need to stack more spirit ;)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
A lot depends on the class you are healing with also. As a druid, it puts me in a much better place having 1-3 HoTs already ticking on someone before they take damage rather than trying to play catch up after the damage has already occurred. Healing with HoTs can be like trying to turn a blimp, you have to plan ahead. HoTs just don't heal quick enough to be able to be used as purely reactive heals in many cases. It's a constant battle of trying to "stay ahead" of the damage, and keeping everyone at 100% when possible gives you the best chance of achieving that goal.

Exactly what he said. I heal with a MW Monk and a Shammy, if i dont anticipate damage and heal according i will blow up the overheal meters while wasting mana. You could also try assigning roles, set 1 to tank, 1 to raid heal group 1, and the other group 2. That way they can focus only on their few people and call out if help may be needed. That can save alot of the trouble your having on farm fights.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

what he said but i dont stack spirit and im at 12k spirit so im good for next patch ;p
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
I like that blimp example. I know I can trust our druid to "turn the blimp" And I know I can scale up just slightly and don't have to go ape crap if his hots are set up to heal the damage.

I don't know how to describe my healing. I do know that when I am healing with my regular raid team, Holy P, Shammy, Druid, we all have low overhealing and I typically end a fight with some nice healing potential in my pocket. I could have blown that somewhere in the fight to up my own meter, but it is there to deal with a Derp, if no one Derps I don't blow my healing. On my last Horridon run I ended with 2/3 mana and Divine Hymn off CD. The three of us had split the damage pretty even and we all had a low overheal (It may be time for us to start 2 healing that fight).

Last night, our shammy was out and I healed with a pug Disc. On a few fights I ended up with an overheal of 60%. Not because the disc was bad, just that I had done the same fight so many times with that shammy that my healing profile was just all wrong. Setting up my rolling renews to lay down a baseline of healing was just being eaten up by shields. Then the spikey damage would hit and where the shammy and I could have taken care of it, the Disc was in the middle of SS and had a limited ability to bring the health back up selectively on players who were hit hard enough to blow through their shield. I think the druid was confused also as his blimp was effectively grounded, not just by the disc but by the way I was reacting to it.

I guess if I were to put it in words; with my regular raid team I heal very softly leaning on my co-healers and I can feel when it is time for me to step up cover some unexpected damage and when I should ignore it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Heal everything, heal all the time. Do I always heal at 90%? No, but if I have plenty of mana why not? Normally I can heal and keep people up from 95% to 100% and still have full mana. Then when the time comes I'll heal like a madman through the mechanics that do a ton of damage.

But I'm used to PvP healing so I'm kind of one for trying to make sure EVERY person is at 100%, unless there's no need to.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I always 2 healed elite protectors, though I would say there was enough damage for 3 if your dps could manage it. Consider though, that by 3 healing you're actually putting MORE stress on your healers by prolonging the fight, especially the final 'phase' where the raid wide damage is considerable.

If all 3 of your healers are always oom all the time and doing subpar HPS (bearing in mind that HPS is only a small piece of evaluating healer performance) it might be time to look at their setups - particularly reforging, talents, glyphs. Also log the raid and have someone verify their class knowledge is up to speed. Red Flags: Disc priests that don't spirit shell, druids that don't keep harmony up or use ironbark, shamans with poor HST maintenance, etc.

Edit: As far as what "type" of healer I am... I dunno. The kind that tries to use my toolbox effectively and heal efficiently. :P
Edited by Weetabix on 8/16/2013 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Melee DPSer, tank healer when his health dips below 50%.
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock

what he said but i dont stack spirit and im at 12k spirit so im good for next patch ;p

You know I am thinking high spirit, high haste, lots of rejuvs ongoing, genesis when damage occurs, keep the shroom blooming and filling, continuous efflo, ysera's every 5 seconds, NV when required or maybe even on CD. Lots of potential for fun. Too bad I gotta tank heal.

Oh and I am a sit and wait for my 2 disc partner's shields to disappear, then poke out a rejuv or WG if significant damage has occurred, otherwise keep the tank full type of healer.
Edited by Merise on 8/16/2013 9:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

This is exactly how I feel about healing, as a druid. This expansion is the first time I am playing anything at level cap that isn't a priest, and it's been a long road for me, learning how to heal as a totally different class. I am still put off by the fact that I cannot burst heal as fast enough as a MW Monk or afford cheaper heals like a Disc Priest, which had been my main until MoP. As I've gotten towards more end game content with MoP, I've noticed that my overhealing has gotten higher and higher and I don't know how to remedy that; I always keep HoTs on targets that I anticipate will take damage/heavy damage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I used to not know the boundaries of my mana but then I started solo'ing some content (HMsV, HoF.. etc) and I worked out thought boundaries of what my gear / toon / player was capable of and what actually needs healing.

If you leave somebody on 50% hp for long enough, they usually try and save themselves :) That, or yell at you.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
If you leave somebody on 50% hp for long enough, they usually try and save themselves :) That, or yell at you.

Yeah, I notice this a lot. It's kind of funny as a lock, since my self healing is strong but over time, so I get sniped.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I am disc, so I would be the rabbit healer. I keep bars full. Its what my spec does, because I have very low throughput if everyone is at 10% health. I cant drop huge heals on the raid like a holy priest, or hit you with a 300k crit heal to top you off. My spec is built to prevent you from getting that low in the first place.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I'm a relatively new healer, and still getting the hang of anticipating damage on a Monk, but it's certainly needed. Single-Target healing revolves around a huge DoT that takes quite a bit of time to get the Chi for (assuming you're only using Soothing Mists), and strong AoE Healing depends on having the right number of targets with ReM to start + using TFT early enough to blanket the whole raid (in 10 man, at least) + having the Chi ready to fire off Uplifts. So, it really depends on the spec in deciding what type of healer you are IMO.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

You know I am thinking high spirit, high haste, lots of rejuvs ongoing, genesis when damage occurs, keep the shroom blooming and filling, continuous efflo, ysera's every 5 seconds, NV when required or maybe even on CD. Lots of potential for fun. Too bad I gotta tank heal.

Oh and I am a sit and wait for my 2 disc partner's shields to disappear, then poke out a rejuv or WG if significant damage has occurred, otherwise keep the tank full type of healer.

still thinking only 12k spirit just cause im 10man if i was 25man i would go more but i dont need it
Reply Quote
As I've healed in this game I've really gotten a feel for damage patterns; unless it's a specific mechanic in a fight, people don't really need to be topped off all the time, however, I'm picky enough as a healer to top off anyway. Will I do it to the detriment of a fight? No, but I can tell if someone's in real trouble or if it's just regular damage going out and will react accordingly.

To make a long story short, I guess I'm a bit of both.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
Im a rabbit healer mostly because my class has almost no issues with mana if played right. :D plus its an unending circle for monks --> spend mana to make chi --> spend chi to make tea --> drink tea to make mana! Ideally I should be healing every second small heals for mana tea stacks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]