DK Tanking FAQ - 4.3 [NOT CURRENT]

90 Tauren Death Knight
I think he meant like "blood dk in panda (mop)", which is a legit question. Survivability wise blood is fine. Damage wise we are less fine, but I doubt that tank dmg will remain the way it is until live. Currently it is (for tank dmg output) monk>druid>dk>warrior>pally, but monk and druid are far above the bottom three. It is bad enough that on dps check fight you won't find a non-druid/monk tank during progression, but like i said this is likely to be addressed and there is still time for fine tuning. We are also not so hot on the utility front, though what else is new. New dk res is a nice upgrade from the turd we have now, but that doesn't solve our utility problem.

In terms of playstyle, we have a lot of downtime which kinda sucks. Talents are pretty lackluster as well. Conversion isn't good enough to justify sacrificing pet sac, and the only reason you'd pick RC is if you needed a bit more tank dps (RC = more runes overall RE = more FU runes), so we already have a pretty defined cookie cutter spec laid out and it doesn't really change much from how we play in live.

So be happy that we are very much viable and should be strong tanks going into the first tier, but be a bit sad that we don't really get much in terms of new toys to monkey with.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
From what I can see, I need shoulder enchant, belt buckle and swap a gem in my boots to a fractured. But I don't know if I'm reforging correctly, basically been using the guide, no mastery, swap highest into mastery, if it has mastery swap secondary into parry or dodge, whatever has lowest rating. I know you want dodge and parry ratings close, but I can't get dodge up without either dropping mastery or gear, question, forge ahead with what I'm doing, mastery > all, or drop a bit of mastery to raise dodge? Any help is appreciated, thanks
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
08/17/2012 10:27 PMPosted by Kapoos
From what I can see, I need shoulder enchant, belt buckle and swap a gem in my boots to a fractured. But I don't know if I'm reforging correctly, basically been using the guide, no mastery, swap highest into mastery, if it has mastery swap secondary into parry or dodge, whatever has lowest rating. I know you want dodge and parry ratings close, but I can't get dodge up without either dropping mastery or gear, question, forge ahead with what I'm doing, mastery > all, or drop a bit of mastery to raise dodge? Any help is appreciated, thanks

Doesn't look like you're reforging the highest stat on the item into mastery. There are several items where you haven't, but they all seem to be because you're not wanting to reforge away from dodge.

Annoyingly enough, the post I would refer you to to show you how little evening out your ratings actually matters is now deleted.

Basically, don't stress about evening out your dodge/parry ratings. When you get to huge differences (around 1.5k), you might only be losing out on like 0.30% avoidance, which still isn't that huge. Right now with the gear you logged out in, you're losing around 0.07% avoidance because of your imbalance. That's negligible.

Don't sweat it. If you worry about it too much, you generally end up losing overall mitigation trying to perfectly balance out your ratings (because you're giving up stats somewhere else).

If the item doesn't have mastery, reforge the highest stat to mastery. If the item does have mastery, reforge the other stat into the lower of your dodge/parry ratings. Whatever difference you have after that is fine.
Edited by Euliat on 8/17/2012 11:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Yeah was trying to keep a little extra dodge at the expense of mastery, but i switched them back. Thanks for the reply!
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Death Knight
Can someone tell me the % of both dodge and parry that we need now. Reforgelite though updated, I feel is not working right. Feel free to amoury me and give me your advice. I have been tanking prior to this patch in 10 man guild runs and not had a problem, but now need help to get my head aroung the changes.

Cheers
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
09/02/2012 05:15 AMPosted by Sventbone
Can someone tell me the % of both dodge and parry that we need now.

You're fine. Evening out your ratings doesn't make a massive difference.

Without SS, you want ~3x more parry% than dodge%.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
The "perfect ratio" of avoidance would be to keep your parry% = 3.588*dodge% - 10.97588 (with SS)

But like euliat said, keeping them in perfect harmony really doesn't add a lot. Just do what you can to get them to match the above equation and then don't stress about gemming/reforging into avoidance out of mastery/accuracy to get there (unless you value avoidance>accuracy, which is also valid)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
09/02/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Reniat
The "perfect ratio" of avoidance would be to keep your parry% = 3.588*dodge% - 10.97588 (with SS)

At higher rating. That's the asymptote.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
That equation should be true for all levels of dodge, not just at higher levels. You might recognize 3.588 as the asymptote of the ideal avoidance ratio which is lim(Cp/Cd-((Cp/Cd)*basedodge-baseparry)/totaldodge,totaldodge,∞) which is just equal to Cp/Cd which is 235.5/65.631440 = 3.588

The equation I gave was the equation for the desired totalparry for any given totaldodge as found on Theck's blog (I don't mean to claim all this math as mine. it's all based on Theck's work for MoP avoidance) which is:totalparry = baseparry + (totaldodge - basedodge)*(Cp/Cd)
which when rewritten with constants added looks like:totalparry = 3.00+(totaldodge - 5.01)*3.588
which is written more neatly as totalparry = 3.588*totaldodge-14.97588with the 14.97588 turning into 10.97588 after factoring in Swordshattering's 4%.
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Death Knight
Thanks all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
09/02/2012 05:17 PMPosted by Reniat
235.5/65.631440 = 3.588

My bad; only saw the 3.588 when I skimmed and not the fact that it was an equation.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
no worries :)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Anyone else happen to notice that Roiling Blood refreshes Diseases on the current target?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Scarlet Fever does, not Roiling Blood.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Surprised people are still posting in here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]