Blindsight's How to Choose a Server Guide

(Sticky)

100 Worgen Druid
I'm on Moon Guard, and I have some advice for you:

If you don't want to see naked low level characters dancing for sex, don't go into the Lion's Pride Inn in Goldshire... because naked low level characters dancing for sex is exactly what you will see.

Everywhere else is fine, as long as you don't run into many trolls... unfortunately that's not as easy as you think.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Lovely Wednesday!!! 'night all.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/14/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Gorgandel
Isn't picking the server irrelavant now because of CRZ?

Nope. Servers are still relevant because what size server you are on dictates how many active guilds you have to choose from AND it dictates the type of server economy. Guilds and the AH are NOT cross-realm, just the zones themselves.

But server location and time-zone matter less now (except for the Oceanic realms) because you're constantly being shuffled between them so what ping time/latency and events tied to realm time are constantly changing.
Edited by Avanna on 10/14/2012 12:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
4 Human Warlock
Is there any way to tell which realms are highly populated now? I'm just getting into playing after being gone for 3 years and would like to find a server that has a good economy as far as the auction house etc..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Is there any way to tell which realms are highly populated now? I'm just getting into playing after being gone for 3 years and would like to find a server that has a good economy as far as the auction house etc..

Log into the game, select the "change realm" option. You'll get a list of all the reams you can choose from, along with their current logged-in population designation in relation to the other realms at that moment.

To see more longer term and persistent population data (and an indication of whether or not the population is imbalanced in the horde:alliance ratios) try: http://wow.realmpop.com/
Edited by Avanna on 11/28/2012 8:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/03/2013 03:36 PMPosted by Sidiousness
the best and easiet way of picking a server thats best for you is picking one that has the best latency for u..problem solved -)

Since dozens of servers are in each datacenter, all of them are going to have the same latency. Your advice doesn't really help or solve any problems.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Avoid Detheroc (alliance side), the alliance population is pretty much nil. Used my 10 game free pass to check out how the server was doing since my cata days, and there is practically no one on the alliance side. The population was pretty pathetic during cata and now the place is deserted and dead. Can safely say that I'm not going to renew my subscription or purchase the expansion. At least blizzard made the decision an easy one for me.
Reply Quote
so should i move my character to a new server once it reaches max level? (a high one?)
Reply Quote
Avoid Detheroc (alliance side), the alliance population is pretty much nil. Used my 10 game free pass to check out how the server was doing since my cata days, and there is practically no one on the alliance side. The population was pretty pathetic during cata and now the place is deserted and dead. Can safely say that I'm not going to renew my subscription or purchase the expansion. At least blizzard made the decision an easy one for me.

Maqus, why not just go to another server?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
06/27/2013 08:10 PMPosted by Vàleera
Fixing links as best as I can (for now)...
I know this forum is old but how do you get the MVP status?

Pretty much just post a lot on the forums, with consistently helpful, accurate, and constructive posts, and encourage friendly discussion among the community. Eventually someone will take notice! It is not something you can apply for or ask to be.

For more information: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4038704715
Reply Quote
10 Troll Hunter
US_realm_list_by_datacenter
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Happy Tuesday! ;D
Reply Quote
9 Draenei Shaman
So If I want to play characters on both sides do I need two realms, one for alliance and one for horde?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/18/2014 12:24 AMPosted by Qazari
So If I want to play characters on both sides do I need two realms, one for alliance and one for horde?

Can if you want, but you don't have to. WAYYYY back in the day, the answer would be yes. But Blizzard changed that back in Classic (or maybe Burning Crusade?).

I have my hordies and my alliance separate only because you can only send non-heirloom stuff and gold to characters on the same server. Having a complete roster of characters with all the professions covered on the same server and faction make for a very efficient self-sustaning gameplay.

But you can totally mix them up if you want.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]