WoW Performance Guide For Macs - WoD Edition

(Sticky)

90 Human Warrior
Hi guys, this is currently the configuration I'm using, I used to have an ATI Radeon 3870HD (512MB VRAM DDR4) but the card somehow blew up so I had to downgrade to the one that came with the computer when I bought it: ATI Radeon 2600HD XT and with a mix of what you guys put in this thread i get an average of 25-35 fps in a non raid 25m situation, in Bastion of Twilight I have to turn down everything to ''Low'' or close to it otherwise I get around 2 fps and it's chumpy and I can't even, move as a tank it's not too convivial.

Settings:

Display:

Windowed (Full Screen)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Multisampling: 1x
Vertical Sync: Disabled

Graphic:

Slider: Good
Texture Resolution: High
Texture Filtering: 2x Anisotropic
Projected Textures: Enable

Environment:
View Distance: Good
Environment Detail: Fair
Ground Clutter: Fair

Effects
Shadow Quality: Good
Liquid Detail: Low
Sunshafts: Low
Particle Density: Good

Advanced

Triple Buffering: Disabled
Reduce Input Lag: Disabled
Hardware Cursor: Enable

Max Foreground/Background FPS: Both Disabled

And here is my computer configuration.

Mac OS X: 10.6.6
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Note: Like I said I get an average between 25-35 fps all around the world or close to it even in raid beside Bastion of Twilight (On trash) I need to move the slider to ''Low'' to get the best results possible and move it back to those settings on bosses fight which is kind of awkward.

If you have any suggestion if I should change some stuff around (Using GLL graphic engine) it would be really appreciated.

And I was thinking of buying a new video card because I'm currently studying in Movie Editing, and I was looking for the best of ''Both World'' for WoW and for ME.

What would you propose to be there and get the maximum of what Apple's OpenGL graphic can offer at the moment vs. Boot Camp?

ATI Radeon HD 5770
ATI Radeon HD 5870
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
NVIDIA GeForce Quadro 4000 or 48000 (That would be more for the rendering of my movies and whatsoever Adobe products and what not but that's the ULTIMATE goal per say - I might be reaching that point anytime soon)

Any advice?

Thank you in advance.
Edited by Madrigosä on 2/5/2011 5:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I recently bought a 2010 15 inch Macbook Pro with the i7 processor.
All of the video settings are set to fair and it runs great!! My only concern is how hot and how loud it gets when I run the game. Is this normal? Can anyone with the same model help me out please!
Reply Quote
94 Human Paladin
Sounds just like how it is with my MacBook Pro with the i5 proc!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey can anyone from blizzard help with this thread?? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2089201616
seems the CSR who first replied forgot about it and my problem isnt going away
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I am desperately in need of some help. I am on an early 08 mac book pro (The last model before unibody). I have followed the guide to the letter, and I still only get 5 or 6 FPS. WoW ran perfectly before Cata, but now it virtually unplayable. Is there anything I am missing? Even when I turn down all of my settings as low as they go I only get around 11 FPS?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Can you tell us the specs?

Apple Icon>About this Mac>More Info
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/04/2011 5:59 AMPosted by Seaneous
I'm on a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with an ATI 5770, all settings to Good and I still get some lag in SW and other populated areas. I'm starting to think switching to bootcamp and windows may be a good idea.

Sadly, this is true. I run the same config presently, and if you boot into Windows 7, you can run with this setup at Ultra/Max settings full time, even raiding with no issue.

Going from "Good" (with stuttering issues) in MacOS to completely maxed out "Ultra" in Win7 is a HUGE difference in drivers/performance. I barely boot into MacOS on my Mac Pro any more because of this.

One note: I'm using the base config of 3GB RAM, MacOS handles this OK, Windows7 "hardware reserves" 1GB effectively leaving you 2GB remaining. In Win7 the HD is going to thrash like crazy due to paging and cause delays in loading and web browsing if you do it at the same time. WoW however runs smooth as butter even with the RAM limitation (once it loads in)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
One useful tip I don't see in the performance guide, in WoW 4.X+ they took out the check box for "Full Screen Glow Effect". On my 9400M based Mac Mini turning this off DOUBLED the frame rate, and all it did was make the game less.... glow-y (in some areas in certain lighting).

You can still disable it through typing in game:

/console ffxglow 0

and to re-enable:

/console ffxglow 1

My Mac Pro/Rad5770 doesn't care either way (no change in fps), leading me to believe this might prove more useful to other lower end/integrated graphics setups.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Wow. Thank you all for this guide.

I have a mid-2010 27" iMac. I had just resigned myself to around 15-20 fps if I played it at 1440p.

But "Sunshafts" and "Liquid detail" seem to be magic settings. WoW recommended "Low" sunshafts and "Good" liquid detail. But as long as both of those are set to "Disabled" and "Fair", I get 60-80 fps, depending on other settings!

I can't believe "Low" sunshafts takes away so much speed. Amazing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Can you tell us the specs?

Apple Icon>About this Mac>More Info

Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

GeForce 8600M GT
Type: Display
PCIe Lane Width: x1
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Resolution: 1440 x 900

As I stated in my first post, I am getting no more than 11 fps with all settings set to low/disabled. Before last patch I was getting around 30 in most areas, 40 or 50 in low populated areas. I have tried disabling all addons and have screwed with settings in game. Nothing helps. All of this happened after the last patch. Before the last patch everything was fine.

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Hey guys I recently got a mid late 2010 MAC Pro to use for music and A/V projects. I'm a recent WoW addict as well. Anyways I basically just used the "recommended" settings for graphics, which is set to good. I run my rez at 1280x1080. I get a slight delay when places like SW are full, but it goes away in a few seconds and only happens when I first arrive (its no biggie). I 10 man raid and never see lag at all. My question is basically what are the settings I should be using with this beast? How high can I set it and still get the the 40 fps I cap the game at? I have dual quad core xeons and I don't see any use on the second while in game, I always understood WoW to be gfx heavy on the CPU, and the more CPU power the better you can make it look.

[SPECS]

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 6 GB

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Type: GPU
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

P.S. I don't want to use bootcamp if I don't have to I just hate anything other than Unix/Linux (Mac OS included).

~NH!
Reply Quote
I have Late 2009 Core i7 iMac with ATI 4850 Graphics Card, 4GB RAM. If I use the recommended settings I get 10-25 fps According to the notes, I should expect an average of 50-60 fps.

RECOMMENDED SETTINGS

Graphics > Display

Graphics > Graphics
Graphics Slider: Good
Texture Resolution: Good
Texture Filtering: 4x
Projected Textures: Enabled
Environmental Detail: Good
Ground Clutter: Good
Shadow Quality: Good
Liquid Detail: Low
Particle Density: Good

Advanced
Triple Buffering; Disabled
Hardware Cursor: Enabled

MY SETTINGS
I have tested the settings and here is what I ended up with.

Graphics > Display

Graphics > Graphics
Graphics Slider: Good
Texture Filtering: 4x
Projected Textures: Enabled
Environmental Detail: Ultra
Ground Clutter: Good
Shadow Quality: Fair
Liquid Detail: Fair
Sunshafts: Disabled
Particle Density: Ultra

Advanced

With these settings, I average 60-70 fps. The effects settings seem to have the largest impact on performance. For example, setting Sunshafts to low will drop my fps to around 15 fps.

I have read that loading the ATI drivers from Mid 2010 iMacs onto late 2009 iMacs can increase performance by up to 50%. I may give that a shot and see if I can turn up the Sunshafts.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Just looking for suggestions for the most optimal settings that I should used for my older iMac.

iMac7,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz
ATI,RadeonHD2400
6 GB Memory
OS X 10.6.6

Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Okay, I've tested it and I can confirm. The most optimal setting you can have on your mac to run WoW is to use bootcamp. Boo!
Anyway, newer macbook running 10.6.6 I get okay fps while running the world but going to Stormwind or Dolaran just kills this machine. That's with low graphic settings.
With Win XP I can crank all the settings to MAX and still fly over the skies of stormwind with smooth 30-40 fps.
The difference really is night and day. If you love having max graphic options (especially draw distance) than bootcamp is the way to go. This makes me very sad, but at least it's an option.

If you are looking for a bit of a tweek, draw distance really is huge. Also don't ever use that option (forget what it's called) that is meant to prevent screen tare, you'll get way better fps with out it and the tare that you will experience will be better than the slow graphics you'll experience otherwise.
Reply Quote
80 Human Death Knight
I just want to say thanks for the guide. I have a mid 2010 27 inch iMac, Core i7 2.93ghz, 8gb of ddr3, and a 5750 and I followed your guide for the 5750 and I am getting an average of 60fps. So thanks so much!

Hopefully when Lion comes out we can see a performance increase since I herd Apple added a lot more OpenGL 3 stuff that will help performance.

EDIT:
I went ahead and set water to its max, ultra, for real reflections and I didn't notice a drop in frame rates.

Here are my settings:
Texture resolution: Max (High)
Texture filtering: 4x
Projected textures: Enabled
View distance: High
Environmental Detail: High
Ground clutter: High
Shadow quality: High
Liquid detail: Max (Ultra)
Particle density: Max (Ultra)

With those settings I am maintaining a consent 40 - 80fps. Doesn't drop bellow 40, doesn't go higher than 80. No lag or anything. So from it seems like shadows and water hurt a lot if environmental detail, ground clutter, and view distance is set to ultra, but drop them down one to high, and you can bump up shadows to Good and water to ultra and have smooth frame rates.

I really don't mind having the three environment settings down to high since all it does is add extra detail to the ground and seeing farther, can't really notice a major difference. Textures are set to max, water looks fantastic, and shadows are great.

Thanks blizzard for an awesome game!
Edited by Baconhax on 3/12/2011 11:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Rogue
Graphics > Display
Vertical Sync: Enable

Graphics > Graphics
Graphics Slider: Fair
Texture Filtering: Trilinear
Projected Textures: Enable
View Distance: Ultra
Environmental Detail: Fair
Ground Clutter: Fair
Shadow Quality: Fair
Liquid Detail: Fair
Sunshafts: Disabled
Particle Density: Fair

Advanced

Works for me, MacBook Pro 13" 2011 base model about 60fps and 30 instances
Edited by Calitz on 3/15/2011 10:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Calitz,

Doesn't your mac overheat at 60fps? Can you post your specs for the 2011 Macbook Pro, I'm planning to buy one too.
Reply Quote
60 Human Hunter
Mac OX damn!
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Rogue
reaches 93c sometimes... But its well in 'spec' 100+ is when we should worry but that doesn't mean it won't degrade from all the heat its producing. I keep it at 30fps whenever possible. I don't need the extra heat and noise.

The MacBook Pro i have is the base 2011 13" for 1250

2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
320GB 5400-rpm
Intel HD Graphics 3000

I personally think the HD 3000 GPU is weak. Although it runs bioshock on high and at around 40-60fps. There are missing textures units for the GPU so it doesn't render some textures in wow properly, Isn't a big deal to me but some users might complain about it. I would save up for the 15" for a better gpu or buy a regular laptop. If you thinking spending around $1250, I look into getting a sager, They make the best gaming laptops out there with the best price to performance ratio.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
You guys are lucky. This is what I have:

Mac Mini (circa 2006)
Intel Core Duo 1.86GHz
2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
80GB Hard Drive (WoW is running off of an external hard drive via Firewire 400)
Intel GMA 950 w/ 64MB shared VRAM (blows chunks)

Orgrimmar and Stormwind are impossible to work in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]