The WoW Performance Guide For Macs

(Sticky)

90 Orc Shaman
hic
Oh shoot. So really no sunshafts and no Ultra for any Mac available? :( Not even the Radeon HD 6970 equipped iMacs? Come on, this is a VERY new GPU. Not the latest, but very new.
Reply Quote
04/09/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Schmezz
Oh shoot. So really no sunshafts and no Ultra for any Mac available? :( Not even the Radeon HD 6970 equipped iMacs? Come on, this is a VERY new GPU. Not the latest, but very new.

You can turn them on, but the performance will suffer more so than on Windows. This isn't the card's fault so much as it is that WoW has to support the older OS X 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard, which use OpenGL 2. A very, very old version of the 3D rendering engine.

Basically, Blizzard had to write their own 3D engine to even get these sorts of features running at all on these OS's just to keep up with the Windows build of the game. Mists of Pandaria is cutting support for these older OS's, so you'll need 10.6.8 Snow Leopard at the very least, which supports OpenGL 3.3. Basically the equivalent of DirectX 10.

MoP will end the disparity in performance between Mac and Windows, for the most part.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
hic
I hope that is true. Great news.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Thank you, very much.

If it wasn't for you I would have gotten far beyond annoyed with this game using this operating system, tbh.

cheers
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Hello everyone,

I am about to return to the game, but I really want to see my computer performance be better to enjoy the game more. I am currently running on a 15 inch Macbook Pro, Mid 2009. The Processor is 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory is 4GB (2x2). Graphics is NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB.

I feel a computer like this should be able to run WoW with high(er) settings, and still get above 30 FPS at the worst... Does that seem possible? I am about to buy more RAM, so my memory will go from 4Gb (2x2) to 8gb (2x4)... Will that do the trick?

I usually run WoW with safari open, and I try to have resolution up as high as I can, with the settings set on Low, but I get around 15-20, when raiding, if I recall.

Thanks for the help!!!
Reply Quote
That actually sounds pretty dang good for that model.

The Geforce 9400M isn't actually a graphics card. It's nVidia's flavor of an integrated graphics chip right on the northbridge of the motherboard. The 256MB it uses isn't from it's own RAM chip. It's borrowing that 256MB from the much, much slower system RAM.

It's not a dedicated video card. it's just a clever naming scheme to confuse customers. The 9400M has the "feature set" of the 9000 series video cards of yesteryear, meaning it'll read and process the same shading and lighting techniques, but doesn't have anywhere near the raw horsepower of the much older Geforce 9800 desktop video card that it shares it's namesake with, which had it's own processor unit, fans, and power draw.

But don't get me wrong here, the 9400M was a HUGE leap in integrated graphics performance when it was first released. Getting 20fps in a raid is outstanding for the 9400M integrated chip. But it's still an integrated chip.
Edited by Stormtides on 5/30/2012 11:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Hi Folks... I want to thank you for this thread as it has been of great use to me with the different Mac's I have used to play WoW!

However... I just picked up my new MBP with the Retina Display (2.3ghz i7, with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB video) and I came in search of the latest and greatest settings with which to optimize my WoW play. Unfortunately you folks have not posted the settings for this machine yet.

I noticed online someone mentioned that D3 was optimized for the Retina Display on the new MBP and I was wondering if you folks planned to do that for WoW also?

Thanks for your continuing support of our "addiction."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
@Sheldor

What kind of results are you getting on your MacBook? Really interested in one and the only game I really play is WoW. I would like to at least be able to crank out 45 fps (smooth) at high settings across the board. Now I know I prolly wont be able to get that performance at native resolution, but what about at a reduced resolution or at 1080 on an external monitor?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Right at the moment I am in Swamp of sorrows running native 1440x900 on laptop and 1920 x 1080 on external monitor. With Texture on High and everything else good except liquid detail is low and sunshafts disabled I am showing 120fps. When running just on the Mac I set the display to 1920 x 1200 and have no problem in dungeons so far.

I have not run any raids yet just on the internal monitor, but have run a number with no problems using the external monitor.

Interesting... when I edit it does not change my Avatar from Leonard to Sheldor... sorry if confusing but Leonard is Sheldor's Main.
Edited by Leonärd on 7/22/2012 3:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Hello everyone,

I am about to return to the game, but I really want to see my computer performance be better to enjoy the game more. I am currently running on a 15 inch Macbook Pro, Mid 2009. The Processor is 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory is 4GB (2x2). Graphics is NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB.

I feel a computer like this should be able to run WoW with high(er) settings, and still get above 30 FPS at the worst... Does that seem possible? I am about to buy more RAM, so my memory will go from 4Gb (2x2) to 8gb (2x4)... Will that do the trick?

I usually run WoW with safari open, and I try to have resolution up as high as I can, with the settings set on Low, but I get around 15-20, when raiding, if I recall.

Thanks for the help!!!

This is almost the same setup I have been using for the past three years. The only difference is that I have a slightly slower processor (2.53GHz vs. your 2.8GHz).

To be honest, I am really surprised that I was able to raid in Cata with this MacBook Pro. My settings are tuned down and I get about 20fps. I also invested in a laptop cooling pad because the comp gets really hot if left directly on the table. The pad I have was cheap but definitely helps.

The net of it is... I have gotten my use out of this comp with respect to WoW. MoP will probably be the kick in the rear that gets me to purchase a new computer. However, although my current MacBook Pro will retire from WoW, it is still more than capable for email/web/streaming movies/etc.
Reply Quote
Hey all. Stoneblade/Stormtides here. I just wanted to let you all know that I DO plan to update this guide in the near future for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and the quickly approaching Mists of Pandaria expansion.

In case you haven't noticed the sticky on the Mac Tech Forum, or the plethora of threads complaining about it, OS X 10.5.x Leopard will NO LONGER BE SUPPORTED BY WoW once the 5.0 patch hits just prior to MoP.

This is because MoP has updated graphic effects, and Mac OS X 10.6 and older are running the very old 3D engine OpenGL 2.2. To keep the Mac version of WoW concurrent with it's Windows brother, Blizzard had to start using the graphics features that older versions of Mac OS just didn't have.

This was Apple's fault. not Blizzard's. Apple was way behind on 3D games for a long time, and this is the price we're paying for Apple being so far behind for so long. though as of OS X 10.8, we are now 95% caught up to Windows in gaming performance. So future upgrades shouldn't be quite so severe.

Apple JUST released Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and if you're on 10.7 or 10.6, you can easily upgrade for $19.99 via the Mac App Store.
Reply Quote
This shows performance on the 2012 Macbook with Intel 4000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhm4gYWTIi8&feature=plcp
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
greetings, I have the Macbook pro 10.6.8 intel core i7 , 4G memory, 2,66 processor speed, 2 cores. I just downloaded the new patch for MoP. I haven't been able to do anything. My characters all freeze in place after 1 or 2 steps and or when I bend to loot and I have to force quit and relaunch the game!!1 Arg! All was fine prior to this patch. What is making this do that. Our other computer (microsoft windows computer), plays the game just fine. Please help me move...lol.. I haven't been able to do anything. I can't move, respec, bank, loot....dungees... :( very sad that I can't try the new stuff.... Thank You in advance if you can help!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
UPDATED VERSION.....Sorry,
greetings, I have the Macbook pro 10.6.8 intel core i7 , 4G memory, 2,66 processor speed, 2 cores. I just downloaded the new patch for MoP. I haven't been able to do anything. My charactors all freeze in place after 1 or 2 steps and or when I bend to loot and I have to force quit and relaunch the game!!1 Arg! All was fine prior to this patch. What is making this do that. Our other computer (microsoft windows computer), plays the game just fine. Please help me move...lol.. I haven't been able to do anything. I can't move, respec, bank, loot....dungees... :( very sad that I can't try the new stuff.... Thank You in advance if you can help!

Additional info I forgot in the first note. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Edited by Talunai on 9/2/2012 11:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Sometime around mid-August my FPS dropped from 60 to 15. I believe there was an apple software update that I downloaded around that time, but I'm not sure if that was the cause of the fps drop or not. At the time it dropped, I was running on OS 10.6.8, but I have recently upgraded to 10.8 and this upgrade didn't help.

My machine is a 2.53 i5 with an NIVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256MB.

I've deleted my cache, WTF, and interface folders and turned all my settings to the lowest (turned off VSync), but I still get 15 FPS. I've had this MBP since mid-2010 and I've never had any problems running WoW until now.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Hey all, I am considering getting a mac pro in the next couple weeks and wanted to see what might be the best setup to run the game optimally for me.

For what I know im gonna have a 2.8ghz dual quad core proccessor(I wanna say its the i7 series), your standard nvidia graphics card(which I will prob upgrade) 2 1tb drives(useless info but just putting it) and a way overkill on ram but getting 32g of it just cause for the price of 16g im getting 32 so what the hell why not right and gonna have the latest version of ML OS on it. Any help would be greatly appreciatted since ive never run this game on a mac before.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I hope this isn't out of place but I would not recommend it. I love my Mac for so many other things, but it really is horrible for WoW. I write this only to save you trouble.
I'm shopping around for a new machine to play WoW on and it won't be a Mac.
Edited by Grizelda on 9/10/2012 2:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Human Rogue
Hello
After a break, I finally decide to return and with a new computer, my first Mac bought a week ago.
Its an Imac 27 I7 3.4 with Radeon 6970 2g and i have 32G of Ram ( yes its a lot, but its for music also) , I have an SSD drive and OS Mountain Lion.
So what would be the best settings?
Thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]