Smite Disc

How many people are enjoying smite Disc as much as me? I'm really looking forward to using this when things become a challenge again :) It is especially useful in 5 mans, but I find it works equally in raids during trash. I don't really use it in boss fights, but I could conceive doing so for mana reasons in the future :)

I'm also looking forward to having to manage my mana again some day. I mean right now I transformed as much spirit as possible to mastery and I still can't run out of mana. Archangel should really become a useful mechanic then :) Right now I mainly pop it so I have cool wings hehe

Laneer
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I've been doing the smite thing on my 74 priest, kind of a shame though. gives me something to do but i dont get to see any of my pretty bubbles or sparkles..

but i get wings!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My concern with AA in Cata is that the 1% per stack return on mana will not make it worthwhile. At 3% on live I love it. I am also concerned about the hit box limitation, but I imagine that is something that can be remedied.
Edited by Beatific on 11/5/2010 7:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
well you're only doing it when you have nothing else to heal anyway. 1% is better than none.

though i do see your point
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Its just not really an effective way to do it. I was actually suprised that folks thought it was worth messing with, in a raid environment. Even with the buff to healing and mana regen, it just did not seem appropriate to the raid environment, imo...

Now that its getting the nerf-bat in beta and everyone is grumbling about it, all I can do is kinda sit here and shake my head in incredulity. Oh well...
Edited by Shintama on 11/5/2010 9:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
perhaps you're just afraid of change!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think insofar as Discipline goes, we are all ready for a change! Spamming the same spell over and over is boring (and carpal tunnel inducing:-) ). I would love for this to work but all the theory crafting I have seen thus far just doesn't seem to support it. That can change though (see I am fearless in the face of change!)
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
The problem with it in raids is that the radius is centered on (generally) the center of the boss. So on encounters with big bosses, it's pretty easy to have all the melee be simply out of range of the heal while they are beating on the boss. They need to make the healing radius begin from max melee range.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
My concern with AA in Cata is that the 1% per stack return on mana will not make it worthwhile. At 3% on live I love it. I am also concerned about the hit box limitation, but I imagine that is something that can be remedied.

Well, if OOMing is supposed to be the name of the game, then they had to nerf the mana return. Especially if mana is supposed to start tough and get gradually easier (or in the case of "the plan(tm)" start you off spamming efficient heals and then gradually move towards less efficient ones as content progresses).

Even smite spam should be a choice with consequences. Archangel shouldn't be about the mana return. It should be about the 20% healing buff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

The problem with it in raids is that the radius is centered on (generally) the center of the boss. So on encounters with big bosses, it's pretty easy to have all the melee be simply out of range of the heal while they are beating on the boss. They need to make the healing radius begin from max melee range.

The randomness of the heal itself is also something of questionable value IMO.
Edited by Beatific on 11/5/2010 10:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

Well, if OOMing is supposed to be the name of the game, then they had to nerf the mana return. Especially if mana is supposed to start tough and get gradually easier (or in the case of "the plan(tm)" start you off spamming efficient heals and then gradually move towards less efficient ones as content progresses).

Even smite spam should be a choice with consequences. Archangel shouldn't be about the mana return. It should be about the 20% healing buff.

Aye this is true - it then wouldn't fit with a healing spec however. It should be a choice, but it shouldn't be a burden. My .02.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I haven't tried smite healing soo take my opinion how you want it.

The idea of spamming smite over and over again in order to heal people does not sound fun at all. This is the same reason why people prefer to level shadow over a healing spec (because spamming smite is not fun).

I can see this being a nice addition in PVP so that when you smite an opponent in between heals, the smite also causes a small aoe heal to occur. (Similar to Holy Paladin's [Protector of the Innocent] talent)

But anyway, I've been playing my Frost Death Knight and Holy Paladin instead and they've been a lot of fun. :)
Edited by Levie on 11/5/2010 10:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Its just not really an effective way to do it. I was actually suprised that folks thought it was worth messing with, in a raid environment. Even with the buff to healing and mana regen, it just did not seem appropriate to the raid environment, imo...

Now that its getting the nerf-bat in beta and everyone is grumbling about it, all I can do is kinda sit here and shake my head in incredulity. Oh well...

To be fair, there's little else to use those talent points on right now. What would you spend it on? The heal talent? Do you even use heal in a raid? The greater heal talent that reduces inner focus's cooldown maybe, but they are still really easy to sacrifice to try out something new. Heck, only reason I have strength of soul is cause I'm too lazy to respec >_>

My thoughts: It's kinda meh. The range is *way* to short to be effective for anything. The smart cast is really only useful for non-tank healers since it may randomly heal someone else standing in fire instead of the tank. Archangel is cool, but the fact that I have to cast 5 smites to get the maximum effect per cooldown limits it's usefulness to me. I'll see how it plays in the cata dungeons (because, again, I'm far to lazy to respec for leveling when I'll need to again at 85 anyway), but I have little delusion that this will be a 5 man / leveling tool rather then a potent spell for our raid arsenal.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Priest
Wait, it got nerfed to 1%? Seriously lame. I've been having a blast smiting raid bosses inbetween healing moments. Healing has always been king of a boring experience for me because there are moments where you are doing nothing. Smiting fixed that completely.

But only 5% mana return on a full stack? I'd be wasting more mana than I would be recovering :\
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Wait, it got nerfed to 1%? Seriously lame. I've been having a blast smiting raid bosses inbetween healing moments. Healing has always been king of a boring experience for me because there are moments where you are doing nothing. Smiting fixed that completely.

But only 5% mana return on a full stack? I'd be wasting more mana than I would be recovering :\
You'd be wasting more than you'd recovering at 3% per stack as well, from the numbers I recall. Evangelism was never supposed to be the only reason why you stack Archangel, it's supposed to be the button you press for a slight healing/mana boost when you need to transition from healing with Smite/Atonement to healing with normal heals.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Smite Disc is fun now but it will not be end game. Particularly after the new changes.

Priests are garbage at 85 as of right now. Nobody takes them raiding on the beta servers. At this point I just hope they make us viable healers and will happily forget about Smite Disc for the rest of my days.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Smite Disc is fun now but it will not be end game. Particularly after the new changes.
Which changes? Atonement is still 100% at 2/2, if that's what you're talking about. The recent build just changed 1/2 to be 50% instead of 100.
Priests are garbage at 85 as of right now. Nobody takes them raiding on the beta servers. At this point I just hope they make us viable healers and will happily forget about Smite Disc for the rest of my days.
It's not that Priests are garbage, it's that Druids and Pallies are too good. They're in the process of getting beaten with the nerf bat, though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If they improved the hit box, that would help a lot, but my biggest problem is that druids are constantly stacking efflorescence on the melee (only real possible targets for atonement), and paladins are keeping their AoE heals on melee, so my atonement hits for a big fat 0 9 times out of 10, even when I'm using it mainly to stack evangilism for the AA. That's 5 casts I could have used for productive heals, AA doesn't seem to work with absorbs at all which are still a decent portion of our healing, and now the mana return is nerfed to 1% per evangilism stack on beta which won't even come close to making up for the smite costs to get the healing bonus.

I was fine working with a new type of healing. It was even a little fun; but if the cost far outweighs the benefit, it's no longer worth it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]