Welcome to Warcraft - Frequent Questions

(Sticky)

84 Undead Warrior
Frejya
MVP - World of Warcraft
85 Night Elf Hunter
Valhalla Emissary
2940 Edited by Frejya on 11/12/10 4:25 PM (UTC)
Character Information

d. Professions

Professions can be learned beginning at level 5. You can have any combination of Gathering or Crafting Professions (for a total of two), yet you can have all the Secondary Professions (Cooking, First Aid, and Fishing).

The most popular question is how to unlearn a profession once you've learned it, in case you want to switch out and try something new. The fix is quick and simple: open up your character's head at the bottom of your screen (where you put your equipment - also referred to as the 'paper doll'), click on the 'skills' tab, then click on the circle next to the Profession you want to discard.

Notes: You cannot unlearn the Secondary Professions. You also will 1) start out with your new Profession at a skill level of '1' and 2) if you decide to return to your old Profession, you will start all over again at a skill level of '1'

sadly this is no longer a solution. since cataclysm there is no skills tab and I have been trying to figure out how to unlearn for my new alt because I actually want a different profession. How do you unlearn professions now in cataclysm?
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter

d. Professions

Professions can be learned beginning at level 5. You can have any combination of Gathering or Crafting Professions (for a total of two), yet you can have all the Secondary Professions (Cooking, First Aid, and Fishing).

The most popular question is how to unlearn a profession once you've learned it, in case you want to switch out and try something new. The fix is quick and simple: open up your character's head at the bottom of your screen (where you put your equipment - also referred to as the 'paper doll'), click on the 'skills' tab, then click on the circle next to the Profession you want to discard.

Notes: You cannot unlearn the Secondary Professions. You also will 1) start out with your new Profession at a skill level of '1' and 2) if you decide to return to your old Profession, you will start all over again at a skill level of '1'

sadly this is no longer a solution. since cataclysm there is no skills tab and I have been trying to figure out how to unlearn for my new alt because I actually want a different profession. How do you unlearn professions now in cataclysm?

Your professions are now found in the spellbook, under the professions tab. The circle to unlearn professions should be still there, nearby the corresponding profession you'd like to unlearn.
Reply Quote
51 Undead Hunter
Well, well, well, looks like we finally got this thing stickied.

Gratz.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/01/2011 5:45 PMPosted by Cerylia
Your professions are now found in the spellbook, under the professions tab. The circle to unlearn professions should be still there, nearby the corresponding profession you'd like to unle

Aw, nuts. I'll go update that now, Cerylia :)

Yay for stickage!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Not sure if you put shortcuts in here but the shortcut for the professions tab is now K
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
There have been many changes made the game with the release of Cataclysm. Also I have been away for 4 months up till the release of Cataclysm, my question, with all the changes made, the game can be confusing (though I have leveled up to 85 in a reasonable amount of time), this there a manual or other publication that explains all the changes, gearing up, quests, etc., that I can download and review?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Hunter
There are quite a few resources you can peruse. If it's just changes you're looking at, wowhead had a great write-up about it:

http://www.wowhead.com/guide=cataclysm

You can also choose your preferred warcraft database:

wowwiki.com

or

wowpedia.org
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
The Burning Crusade Expansion
- levels 61-70
- Jewelcrafting Profession
- Draenei and Blood Elf races
(note that the above two can often be purchased cheaply together in the 'Battlechest')

Wrath of the Lich King Expansion
- levels 71-80
- Death Knight class (have to have an existing level 55 character, however)
- Inscription Profession

Neither Jewelcrafting nor Inscription are tied to an expansion. This was changed in the Shattering.

More complete link to the Expansion Upgrade list:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965841807

You can also choose your preferred warcraft database:

wowwiki.com

or

wowpedia.org

WoWWiki has been dead for weeks so you should probably remove it.
Edited by Icedragon on 2/21/2011 2:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/21/2011 2:22 PMPosted by Icedragon
WoWWiki has been dead for weeks so you should probably remove it.

There's still quite a bit of activity going on over there - granted it isn't as much as wowpedia, but both sites have information that the other doesn't ;)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
My Hero's call quests are all low level, i cant seem to find the Hyjal's burning quest anywhere. Im not currently exalted with SW, is this why i cant find it?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Hunter
Interesting. The lead in should be Hero's Call:Mount Hyjal which starts the whole thing.

It looks as if some people may have trouble when they've faction changed, having already done the Horde intro before they switched over. If that's the case, the portal to Hyjal should be available for you.

Maybe you've already done that particular quest and didn't continue it? Do you have As Hyjal Burns?

Edit: I'm not aware of any rep requirement to use any particular city's board. My alt was only Revered and picked it up.
Edited by Frejya on 3/9/2011 7:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
my noobish mistake. i forgot to update my account and enter in verification key after download. now, everything works. thanks though!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Some questions I've been seeing an awful lot lately that you might do well to add -

How/when do I get heirlooms?
And something to the effect of 'there's no efficient way to get them until you're 85 and in heroics, though some can be had if you've been doing a lot of PvP or don't mind grinding the Argent Tournament dailies'.

I'm almost 60, how do I raid?
And something like 'older raids are rarely done by level-appropriate groups, and there's little cause to do them on account of the gear resets that come with each expansion. The vast majority of raiding occurs at the current level cap, in current content and older raids are mostly done by players who outlevel them for achievements and nostalgia.

My answers (and questions) are, of course, suggestions.

Been considering doing a weekly post on the questions I see most, but I don't want to step on the toes of a well-established and well-maintained thread like this one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Question about Riding Trainers: I leveled up to 60 and received the Expert Riding Skill and Flying Skill. Both say to see my Riding Trainer, but the training isn't offered when I click on the Riding Trainer. Do I have to search around to different Riding Trainers to find one who offers that training?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/05/2011 05:14 AMPosted by Ietiljmeo
Question about Riding Trainers: I leveled up to 60 and received the Expert Riding Skill and Flying Skill. Both say to see my Riding Trainer, but the training isn't offered when I click on the Riding Trainer. Do I have to search around to different Riding Trainers to find one who offers that training?

Some of the trainers in cities that offer land riding don't offer flying training. Head to Stormwind and talk to one of the dwarves near the flight path, near the gryphons. One of them will sell you a gryphon and the other will train you in Expert riding.

Edited to add: You must have BC on your account to be able to learn Expert riding.
Edited by Icedragon on 4/5/2011 5:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thanks for that information. Forgive my ignorance, but what's BC?
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
04/05/2011 05:43 AMPosted by Ietiljmeo
Thanks for that information. Forgive my ignorance, but what's BC?

BC = Burning Crusade, the expansion pack that allows you to level past 60 and go to Outland as a new leveling zone from 60-70 (or, actually, 58-68 if you prefer, then move on to Northrend if you apply the Wrath of the Lich King expansion to your account after that).

BC allows you to learn flying at 60, and you can only fly in Outland with it. If you would like to be able to ride a flying mount in Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor, you must purchase and apply to your account the BC AND Wrath of the Lich King AND Cataclysm expansions.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Okay, thanks for educating me! I didn't know any of that. We bought the Cataclysm version.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
I was in DragonBlight and I was questing at wrathgate, after the cinematic ended there were no quests and I didn't understand why. I met someone and they said that they had an alliance that could do the quest... are horde allowed to do the quest or should I just go somewhere else?
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
04/10/2011 01:04 PMPosted by Gworfight
I was in DragonBlight and I was questing at wrathgate, after the cinematic ended there were no quests and I didn't understand why. I met someone and they said that they had an alliance that could do the quest... are horde allowed to do the quest or should I just go somewhere else?

After the events of the Wrathgate, the quest chain ends, for both Horde and Alliance. It's been this way since patch 4.0, when the subsequent quests were removed (probably because Orgrimmar and a couple other locations were updated dramatically with Cataclysm, as well as not really fitting with current events in the game anymore).

It wasn't limited to one faction or another, but you missed out on doing it. :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]