FAQ: Non-Obvious Mage Mechanics

(Locked)

85 Human Mage
01/17/2012 07:52 PMPosted by Bravok
Why the flamestrike's DOT does'nt contribute to the combustion effect ???

Combustion reads "Combines your damaging periodic Fire effects ON AN ENEMY TARGET..."
Since Flamestrike does not leave a debuff on the target, it does not contribute to the calculation.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the thread, but a neat component of the flamestrike ground DoT is that it is not affected by the AoE cap.

Edit: Browsed through the thread, and since the concept hasn't been fleshed out before this, I figured I'd expound a bit on the AoE cap. Feel free to correct if any of this info is out of date.

AoE (Area of Effect Damage) can be a very powerful tool. So powerful in fact that Blizzard instituted a mechanic known as the "AoE cap." The basic function of the AoE cap is meant to prevent large amounts of output on gigantic groups of players/NPCs.

Essentially, if a given spell will damage more than 10 targets, the damage per target is adjusted so that the spell will only do the amount of damage that it would were it hitting just 10 targets. For Example:

A) I cast Blizzard on 10 targets. Each target takes 1,000 damage/sec, for a total of 10k damage per tick across all targets.

B) I cast Blizzard on 20 targets. Each target takes 500 damage/sec, for a total of 10k damage per tick across all targets.

In addition to this mechanic, there are certain spells that avoid the AoE cap. Flamestrike's initial damage is subject to the cap, whereas the ground DoT operates outside of the rule. The same is true of a talented Blastwave. A Combustion that is spread to more than 10 targets is not affected by the cap either, since each individual debuff operates as its own single target spell.

That's probably a little wordy, and if I (or more likely someone else) can word it better, I'm sure it will be updated later, but that's the idea of the AoE Cap as it applies to mages.
Edited by Faeryl on 1/21/2012 5:56 PM PST
87 Blood Elf Mage
11/05/2010 04:48 AMPosted by Lhivera
The DoT will do more damage over time than the explosion in the 1.5 it takes to cast a new Living Bomb. Contrary to the old days, it's better to let Living Bomb keep going.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before, but then I'm a brand-new fire mage and still rely very heavily on CombustionHelper:)

I have an additional question you could possibly add:

Should I recast Pyroblast every time the DoT falls off? Or (due to slow cast time) could it be better dps-wise to wait/use the next instant-cast?
85 Human Mage

Should I recast Pyroblast every time the DoT falls off? Or (due to slow cast time) could it be better dps-wise to wait/use the next instant-cast?

The only time you should hard cast pyroblast is on the pull, if you can start casting so that it is in the air as the tank pulls (so you are not wasting time). If I remember correctly, you don't even need the DoT part of Pyroblast if you have a big enough ignite tick to cast combustion.
90 Draenei Mage
01/16/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Anestor
As of 4.3, is it still viable to refresh Living Bomb on Single target fights, or should I let it explode?

You should always have been letting it explode, the OP is incorrect.
why is a mage like yourself with so much knowledge of how to play a mage doing with 359ilevel doing in a guild thats progressing through dragonsoul collecting heroic pieces AND YOU"RE NOT APART OF IT?
you clearly don't have cancer like 80% of the mages who play this game.
90 Human Mage
Q: Living Bomb refreshes the duration now, is this good or bad?

A: For AoE, bad. For single target raid fights, good. The DoT will do more damage over time than the explosion in the 1.5 it takes to cast a new Living Bomb. Contrary to the old days, it's better to let Living Bomb keep going.

are you suggesting that you should not let LB explode on single target fights? a little confused by what exactly this means...
100 Draenei Mage
I'd like to know if the differences in bomb damage is minuscule enough to just maintain the same one for every fight.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]