FAQ: Non-Obvious Mage Mechanics

(Locked)

85 Troll Mage
It isn't really non-obvious, but a few helpful notes about cauterize:
Cauterize doesn't actually let you die so you don't lose threat or drop debuffs.
The damage from cauterize can be absorbed by mana shield and mage wards, or iceblock will make you immune from the damage.
85 Troll Mage
Here's one:
Q. Living Bomb fell off my target! What happened?
A. When you get the talent Impact, allowing Fire Blast to spread your fire DoT spells, it ignores Living Bombs timer. Thus it attempts to place the debuff on 4 targets, meaning one target will lose the debuff.

Q. Living Bomb refreshes the duration now, is this good or bad?
A. For AoE, bad. For single target raid fights, good. The DoT will do more damage over time than the explosion in the 1.5 it takes to cast a new Living Bomb. Contrary to the old days, it's better to let Living Bomb keep going.
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Thanks for all the posts -- I'll tackle an update to the list this weekend!
85 Dwarf Mage
You forgot to add if you jump in the air and immediately hold down your bind that makes you do a 180 and then swiftly hit blink it lets you bypass most obstacles and even walls to blink through.
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Added some new items and expanded others. Copied Jyodi's Living Bomb items almost verbatim; thanks for those!

If the Twitter folks are reading this:

Aislinana, an Ignite description should definitely be in here, but there's apparently a fix implemented or in the works that is supposed to improve the situation -- I'm going to wait until we know how that's working.

Bagzy, that's more of a "how do I optimize my damage" question than a "how the hell does this work" question. Should definitely be included in a guide to playing Fire, though.
85 Troll Mage
Q: Living Bomb refreshes the duration now, is this good or bad?

A: For AoE, bad. For single target raid fights, good. The DoT will do more damage over time than the explosion in the 1.5 it takes to cast a new Living Bomb. Contrary to the old days, it's better to let Living Bomb keep going.

I either don't know what you are talking about or you are just wrong. Unless the explosion did less damage then half of a single tick of the dot portion then letting it explode will be a DPS increase. You do not want to EVER refresh the duration of LB unless you want to use LB on a target but the AoE explosion would cause problems, maybe break CC or something. I'm curious how much of the LB's duration must be allowed to tick for it to be better than fireball. (If you kept spamming LB and it never ticked once, you would be doing zero damage, and the full duration + explosion is totally better, so where are they equal?)
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Jyodi, any source for that Living Bomb info? I'll ping Zaldinar and Vontre as well.
84 Human Mage
I coulda swore I read somewhere it was said Deep Freeze was no longer affected by haste. I may be wrong.
85 Troll Mage
It was changed in 3a I think. A recent patch.
I'm not sure if it's already been requested, but can you discuss pyroblast and ignite? Specifically, if I have ignite ticking from pyroblast! and I cast another one, do the ignites stack or get overwritten?

I'm trying to understand this in the context of when is it best to use combustion - wait until I've procced a couple of pyros, or just immediately once I have 3 dots up?
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
I coulda swore I read somewhere it was said Deep Freeze was no longer affected by haste. I may be wrong.

Correct. I've removed that section. Thanks for the heads-up!
Edited by Lhivera on 11/26/2010 7:57 AM PST
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Also, please remember to report the thread for sticky (use the "other" category and explain that you want it stickied), so it doesn't keep disappearing off the page!
84 Gnome Mage
Thanks for this -- good stuff. Gave it the good kind of thumb, and I'll report it for stickiness if I ever figure out how to report things on these forums (the internet is hard).

Isn't there now some less-than-obvious interaction between haste and # of evocation ticks? I've been meaning to look it up. Seems like something worth including here, if I'm not making it up.

Two other random thoughts for things to include(these may be more mathy than you want for this post, but I think they'd be helpful for anyone who wants to do very basic spell arithmetic) :

- The basic damage expression for a generic spell [DPS = (hit rate)*(damage multipliers)*(haste multiplier)*(base damage + multiplier*spellpower)*(1+crit multiplier*crit rate), or what have you]

- AB's mana/dps multiplier as a function of stack. I, for one, failed to guess correctly what the tooltip meant, mathematically, the first time I read it.
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Thanks for this -- good stuff. Gave it the good kind of thumb, and I'll report it for stickiness if I ever figure out how to report things on these forums (the internet is hard).

Pull down the little menu next to the "Like" button -- the one you'd normally use to mark a post as trolling or "don't like". There should be a "Report" option under there.

Isn't there now some less-than-obvious interaction between haste and # of evocation ticks? I've been meaning to look it up. Seems like something worth including here, if I'm not making it up.

Evocation works the old-fashioned way with haste -- shorter channel, no extra ticks. One tick comes instantly, the other three follow on the 2, 4, and 6 second marks, with that 2-second increment reduced by haste. I can include that explanation if people think it's needed.

- The basic damage expression for a generic spell [DPS = (hit rate)*(damage multipliers)*(haste multiplier)*(base damage + multiplier*spellpower)*(1+crit multiplier*crit rate), or what have you]

I'll probably leave this for inclusion in a "basic theorycrafting" guide if someone wants to create one.

- AB's mana/dps multiplier as a function of stack. I, for one, failed to guess correctly what the tooltip meant, mathematically, the first time I read it.

That's definitely worth including, I'll get it into the next revision.
84 Gnome Mage
I can include that explanation if people think it's needed.

nah, doesn't seem necessary. For some reason I was under the impression that haste actually added ticks to evocation at various cutoffs -- maybe a relic from something I read about the beta at some point? If it's just the same old generic time compression, I don't see it as "non-obvious".
80 Undead Warrior
Doesn't Hungering Cold count as a freeze effect aswell for the purpose of Shatter / Deep Freeze?
Doesn't Hungering Cold count as a freeze effect aswell for the purpose of Shatter / Deep Freeze?

I believe so, though I'm not 100% certain.

For anyone with the answer (or willing to find out) I'd like to add Frost Grenades to the inquiry as well.
5 Blood Elf Mage
Well done Lhivera

Nice to have an updated resource like this for all the new mages.
Lhiv, I'm not sure where Jyodi is going with the second question on LB. The explosion is essentially another tick of damage in a single target scenario, in a multiple target it's obviously multiple ticks worth.

Unless he knows about some whacky mechanic that allows recasting DoTs to add extra random time on the end which amounts to even more benefit than the explosion, I think he's probably either confused or has been misled.

Edit: Oh, also, grats on the first Mage sticky!
Edited by Zaldinar on 11/29/2010 4:12 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]