FAQ: Non-Obvious Mage Mechanics

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
01/07/2011 1:21 PMPosted by Stuebins
This might have been explained previously but .... why is it that DF crits for 30k + on bosses and not trash mobs or other players like in PVP?

Because bosses are permanently immune to stuns, interrupts, roots etc.
It's like that so there's always a use for it, even if you can't stun the target :)
85 Undead Mage
Pyroblast

Q: I only have one Pyroblast spell in my spellbook, but sometimes my combat log indicates that I'm casting "Pyroblast!" with an exclamation point. What the heck?

A: Pyroblast! is the instant version of Pyroblast activated by Hot Streak. There may be some differences in this version of the spell in terms of the DOT applied, and a bug involving attempting to move while casting it. This section needs expansion once that information is clarified.

Clarifying as i figured this out the other day while making macros before i felt like changing my keybindings. When pulled straight from the spellbook to your bar, Pyroblast changes to Pyroblast! when you proc, therefore being able to push the same keybind to cast it even while moving. However if you do want to macro the instant cast Pyroblast, you must ad the exclamation mark at the end, otherwise it bugs and you cannot cast it while moving.

Example:

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Fireball
/cast [mod:shift] Pyroblast!

This macro allows you to cast Fireball normally, while pressing shift to cast the INSTANT CAST PYROBLAST. There is no work around to this. So you would not be able to hold shift and HARD CAST Pyroblast since the spell indicated is the procced version only. Not the castable version. If you took away the exclmation point, you would be able to hard cast but not cast on the move using the instant cast. You would have to stand still to instant cast it. So if you make a macro for Pyroblast instant casts make sure you use the exclamation point. You will not be able to hard cast Pyro with that macro, but who hard casts anyways?
Edited by Moldybuns on 1/13/2011 5:35 AM PST
So if you make a macro for Pyroblast instant casts make sure you use the exclamation point. You will not be able to hard cast Pyro with that macro, but who hard casts anyways?

You can hard cast a pyroblast on some fights to combustion-impact on the adds if you dont have a hot streak active
Edited by Haborym on 1/11/2011 2:52 PM PST
90 Gnome Mage
One important note about pyroblast! is that it has a base mana cost of 0, rather than the clearcasting effect hot streak used to have pre-cata, meaning you get no mana from master of elements from a hot streak fueled pyroblast! crit.
85 Blood Elf Mage
<== 'New frost'? No thanks! ==>

How haven't i seen any complaints with 'cataclysm frost'.
I don't know why Blizzard changed the frost mechanics, its was PERFECT pre cata.
Why did they kill the BEST spec ingame?

Frost pre-patch was a beautiful tree, the mechanics were unrivaled by any class, all classes and spec mechanics, should aspire to what frost WAS.
I'm extremely disappointed with 'new frost' i don't know how anyone can stand it.

Frost...now..... Brings every complaint that's been made against frost mages, to be true.
The 'spec', requires no CD management nor mana management, all it is now is frostbolt, icelance spam wile keeping shield up.

How did this butchery of a change come to pass, i do no know, all i know now is the only time i WONT be specced as fire, is when Mobs are immune to it.

Does anyone feel the same way?
Edited by Lovesauce on 1/13/2011 4:53 AM PST
85 Undead Mage
You can hard cast a pyroblast on some fights to combustion-impact on the adds if you dont have a hot streak active

This is true, but what I was originally stating while I was talking about the macro was taht you cannot actually be moving and hold your modifer and cast your instant pyroblast with this macro IF you do not use the exclamation point. You must actually stand still if you have the normal Pyroblast without the exclamation point used in the macro.
84 Night Elf Priest
This is a silly question, that I can not find an answer to while searching forums and such. When my mage casts Ring of Frost there is no visual circle of where it has been cast. It used to appear and now doesn't. Can someone please tell me how to change settings to see this circle. Thank you!
Should be under your video options for Particle Density. If you dial that up you should see prettier spells and more obvious spell effects.
84 Night Elf Priest
That was my original thought, no luck. Blizz thinks it might be bugged. Will post in bugs section thanks for the help.
85 Undead Mage
A: Pyroblast! is the instant version of Pyroblast activated by Hot Streak. There may be some differences in this version of the spell in terms of the DOT applied, and a bug involving attempting to move while casting it. This section needs expansion once that information is clarified.

I don't know about a bug while moving, but the instant version does have at least one difference with its DoT: It does not proc.

With a quick test, regular pyroblast's DoT could proc lightweave, gale of shadows (stacking +34 spellpower every dot tick), hurricane enchant.
Without doing more testing, i can't be sure that (instant) Pyroblast! procs none of those, but I am certain that it does not, at present, proc Gale of Shadows.
90 Human Priest
Q: Living Bomb refreshes the duration now, is this good or bad?

A: For AoE, bad. For single target raid fights, good. The DoT will do more damage over time than the explosion in the 1.5 it takes to cast a new Living Bomb. Contrary to the old days, it's better to let Living Bomb keep going.

What in the world does this mean? Why wouldn't you refresh Living Bomb 0.1 seconds after it explodes?
85 Blood Elf Mage
My Mirror Images are not targeting my target as they are supposed to do. It seems that they target one or more random mobs 'somewhere in the immediate vicinity,' which may or may not end up being the one I am tartgeting when I summon them. This is very bad for 2 reasons:

1. They pull nearby groups that we had no intention of pulling yet. They did this twice in Heroics last night (Feb. 3, 2011).

2. They break cc. I have seen them break my own Sheep as well as one Sap and one Roots.

This behavior caught me off guard since I though all of this was fixed way back in 3.0.3 or something equally ancient.

Anybody else having this problem in Cata and any idea if/when it will be fixed?

Thx
85 Goblin Mage
11/05/2010 4:45 AMPosted by Lhivera

Combustion

Q: What the hell? I don't understand this at all.

A: You are not alone. Explaining how this talent works in a short tooltip is virtually impossible. It really isn't all that complicated, though. Say you have three DOTs currently ticking on the target: Pyroblast is ticking for 500 damage every 3 seconds (167 DPS), Living Bomb for 1900 every 3 seconds (633 DPS), and Ignite for 1000 every 2 seconds (500 DPS). When you hit Combustion, a new DOT is created that will tick for the total DPS value (1300 DPS) for 10 seconds. The Combustion DOT ticks once per second.

I actually find this odd, cause in a fight against the Prophet guy in DTK (with only my current haste and no haste buffs) I actually got 14 Combustion ticks (for 25% of my damage, yay). Yes, we had an enhancement shaman, so maybe the spell haste totem was down, but he never had a chance to pop Bloodlust. So yea....it's fairly odd ><
85 Troll Mage

Combustion

Q: What the hell? I don't understand this at all.

A: You are not alone. Explaining how this talent works in a short tooltip is virtually impossible. It really isn't all that complicated, though. Say you have three DOTs currently ticking on the target: Pyroblast is ticking for 500 damage every 3 seconds (167 DPS), Living Bomb for 1900 every 3 seconds (633 DPS), and Ignite for 1000 every 2 seconds (500 DPS). When you hit Combustion, a new DOT is created that will tick for the total DPS value (1300 DPS) for 10 seconds. The Combustion DOT ticks once per second.

I actually find this odd, cause in a fight against the Prophet guy in DTK (with only my current haste and no haste buffs) I actually got 14 Combustion ticks (for 25% of my damage, yay). Yes, we had an enhancement shaman, so maybe the spell haste totem was down, but he never had a chance to pop Bloodlust. So yea....it's fairly odd ><

Well, you need 40% haste to get 4 extra ticks. Considering you don't have IV, use trinket or proc trinkets, and you claim to not have had BL, I'm not sure how you managed 40% haste. Right now you only have 1.01*1.1185=~13% haste. You need another 23.93% haste at the time of casting Combustion to get 4 extra ticks. Your guess is as good as mine.

On the note of extra ticks:

(12+3)/1.125=13.33, not 12. Or 12/1.125/4*5=13.33 It would take 25% haste to get the first extra dot tick on LB/pyro. I don't see where you got this 12.5% number... And the second tick would then take (12+2*3)/1.5=12 -> 50% haste.
85 Undead Mage
PuG
01/10/2011 6:10 PMPosted by Dendre
This might have been explained previously but .... why is it that DF crits for 30k + on bosses and not trash mobs or other players like in PVP?

It's like that so there's always a use for it, even if you can't stun the target :)

This is the biggest crit you can get as a mage too (or at least the biggest crit's I've ever seen) Ive seen crits as high as 145K on bosses. But regardless of how big the crit is, my suggestion is to burn your cooldown and cast it back to back. Nothing like seeing 60K-140K crits two times in a row!
85 Troll Mage
02/11/2011 10:12 AMPosted by Fugine

This is the biggest crit you can get as a mage too (or at least the biggest crit's I've ever seen) Ive seen crits as high as 145K on bosses. But regardless of how big the crit is, my suggestion is to burn your cooldown and cast it back to back. Nothing like seeing 60K-140K crits two times in a row!

What an amazing insight into the mage playstyle! Use your CD removing ability to remove the CD of your hardest hitting, longish CD ability!

/endsarcasm

145k crit is pretty massive. The largest I ever saw personally was like 60k haha. (with not great gear at all, not in a raid) I'm also wondering what the text you quoted has to do with the post you made. (besides they are both related to DF, which is a slim connection)
85 Undead Mage
PuG

What an amazing insight into the mage playstyle! Use your CD removing ability to remove the CD of your hardest hitting, longish CD ability!

/endsarcasm

145k crit is pretty massive. The largest I ever saw personally was like 60k haha. (with not great gear at all, not in a raid) I'm also wondering what the text you quoted has to do with the post you made. (besides they are both related to DF, which is a slim connection)

The quotes were about Deep Freeze hitting bosses very hard because they are immune to the stun effect. Thats why I quoted those particular posts and then just added that the biggest crits a mage can attain is a Deep Freeze spell against a boss that is immune to stun. Its a mechanic that may go overlooked since it applies ONLY to bosses.

And the crit I was talking about was actually 149K. http://s1003.photobucket.com/albums/af152/sledge149/?action=view&current=WoWScrnShot_012911_221402.jpg
85 Night Elf Mage
The quotes were about Deep Freeze hitting bosses very hard because they are immune to the stun effect.

Sucks that in 4.06 they reduced deep freeze's damage by 20% AND took off base points off mastery (reduction of mastery reducing damage of "frozen" targets, including deep freeze).

Still hits hard, but don't think 150k crits are possible anymore.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]