Druid leveling guide (updated for 6.0)

(Sticky)

- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
I'll have at least a small update for the guide ready to go for Tuesday, if they patch for 4.0.3a
Edited by Lissanna on 11/20/2010 5:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
I updated the FAQ section today, to make it a little more accurate.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
I have an updated cat & resto spec (with talents thru 85) ready to go for patch day, that I will post on the Tuesday when 4.0.3a comes out. I'm reviewing moonkin & bear talents, to see if they need any polishing (I may just need to update links for them). I also have a little bit of moonkin rotation advice (for dealing with things like Eclipse) that I'll be adding in.

I'll look at the feral rotation stuff, as well, and maybe add in a bit more info later (but I tend to not focus on rotations).

I will also hopefully have a glyph advice section ready to go...
Edited by Lissanna on 11/22/2010 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
Needs to stay on front page for trolls leveling on patch day! Blizzard needs to get around to stickying class guides.

*SNIFFLE*
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Definitely want this one up, Davoodoo is gonna need all the help he can get.

I had a druid back before ICC that I tried to level, got bored around 50. Leveled him as feral because it was the quickest way back then. Is there a better balance of ideal leveling specs or is there still a faster one?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Regarding Ferals:

Predatory Strikes is a little redudnant once you get LotP for levelling. Unless you pick up Nurturing Instinct your heals are pretty pitiful compared to the amount of healing you get from LotP. Additionally since LotP still returns 8% of your mana, and you will hardly use it except to heal anyway, might as well use it.

I'd probably also skip FA entirely.

31 -> 35 KotJ
37 - Stampede
39 - LotP
41 -> 43 Brutal Impact
45 -> 47 Nurturing Instinct
49 - Survival Instincts
51 -> 53 Natural Reaction
55 -> 57 Infected Wounds
59 -> 63 R&T
65 -> Pulverize (useless until 66 but might as well get it now)
67 - Stampede
69 - Berserk

After that yeah, pretty much the same. If you have a decent weapon (heirloom) you will eat through quest mobs so fast as a Kitty you'll hardly have any downtime. Between Savage Defense and LotP you shouldn't really have any trouble soloing Elite quest mobs until you hit Northrend.

Feral Rotation(s):

10: You don't get Ravage until 22. I think you meant to put Rake here instead.
Enrage: Also increases the damage the Bear takes while active.
Ravage: Does not apply a bleed.

20-30: Might mention that FC->Ravage is bugged and does less damage than a normal "walk up and hit them" Ravage. The latter is better most of the time.

30-45: Remains the same as 20-30. You get Pounce, but it isn't really any good unless combined with Shred and Brutal Impact.

46-53: Pounce->Mangle->TF->Shred until they wake up. Then depending on the situation either FB for the kill or Mangle for more CP then FB.

54+: Remains the same as 46-53 with one exception. If you are fighting a stunnable elite mob (typically for a quest) open with: Pounce -> Mangle -> TF -> Shred/Mangle to 5cp -> Rip -> Bear. Those Elite quest mobs can melee pretty hard, and you just end up tanking it out until they die from bleeds.

Key things:

1) Heal often. Mana is not a resource you will use except for healing and shifting into Cat form. You also regenerate it fairly quickly. Don't be shy about shifting out to throw a Rejuv on yourself.
2) CC Multi-Mob pulls if necesarry. Roots works everywhere.
3) Cyclone is your friend.
4) Interrupt casters. You can't "block" them.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the suggestions. I never have people pick up Stampede in the leveling builds, so you can still ravage after feral charge without the strange "new" ability kicking in. You can't use ravage when things look at you, so the "not requiring stealth" part is totally useless for soloing.

This patch is also reducing the health you get from LOTP by 50%. I am, however, adding Nurturing instincts back in the leveling build with 4.0.3a. It increases heals done to the cat, in addition to you healing for more, so it works great for instancing so that you die less. I think the newer version is closer to the ideas you had, but I still have them in a slightly different order. :)
Edited by Lissanna on 11/23/2010 7:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Thanks for the suggestions. I never have people pick up Stampede in the leveling builds, so you can still ravage after feral charge without the strange "new" ability kicking in. You can't use ravage when things look at you, so the "not requiring stealth" part is totally useless for soloing.

Right. Positional requirement. Derp.

This patch is also reducing the health you get from LOTP by 50%. I am, however, adding nurturing instincts back in the leveling build with 4.0.3a. It increases heals done to the cat, in addition to you healing for more, so it works great for instancing so that you die less. I think the newer version is closer to the ideas you had, but I still have them in a slightly different order. :)

True, but the Stamina coeff is going up. So really it's just splitting the difference, and I doubt the numbers will go down by all that much. The 8% mana return still remains, and you still get that back pretty darn quickly while levelling.

Also I think you meant Nurturing, not Survival there.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
New leveling guide info is posted in the first 10 posts of this thread. Note that I re-organized things (so posts 2 thru 4 is feral cat, posts 5 thru 7 is Balance, 8 is resto, 9 is bear/tank, 10 is a general FAQ.

Happy troll leveling day!
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
New leveling guide info is posted in the first 10 posts of this thread. Note that I re-organized things (so posts 2 thru 4 is feral cat, posts 5 thru 7 is Balance, 8 is resto, 9 is bear/tank, 10 is a general FAQ.

Happy troll leveling day!

Tyty! My Troll Druid (druid number three, tbqh, love me some druids) will be very happy this evening! <3
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
I updated my blog's leveling guide now, to reflect the new content & organization, to match the forum version.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Thank you Lissana for this clear and complete guide! I never played a druid since I started playing WoW in vanilla but with trolls now available as druids I'm trying one this evening, hopefully a tank =) (we all need more tanks). Your guide is exactly the kind of information I needed for a solid start!
I checked your blog also but could not find information on weapons? What heirloom and enchant would you suggest for leveling as bear and off specc kitty please?
Edited by Akordya on 11/23/2010 12:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
The heirloom info was an older post on my blog (though the point costs are outdated now):
http://www.restokin.com/2009/12/heirloom-choices-for-leveling-druids/

The Repurposed Lava Dredger is the feral (agility) weapon for leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Bear Talents:

I didn't see this part.

57 - Endless Carnage
59 - 63 R&T
65 - Pulverize
67 - Endless Carnage

Rest is good up till...

77 - 79 NSS
81 - MSS
82 - 84 - Persevearance
85 - Whatever because it really doesn't matter.

I'd avoid taking KotJ as a Bear. It encourages the use of Enrage, which is really a bad thing to do since it actually increases the amount of damage you take for its duration. And you don't really want to be standing around twiddling your thumbs until it wears off. Even in TBC bosses still hit fairly hard, and the last thing you want to do is make your healer's life even more difficult than it already is.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
checked your blog also but could not find information on weapons? What heirloom and enchant would you suggest for leveling as bear and off specc kitty please?

For Cat:

The highest DPS weapon you have access to with the most Agility you can find. This should also suit you just fine for a Bear. If you can get the Lava Dredger, the more the better.

Enchant: The best Agility enchant you can get for a ilvl 1 weapon. I'm not even sure what that is.

Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the suggestions Arielle. I'm basically done with the guide for today, but I'll be doing mini-updates at some point when I have more time...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Thanks for the suggestions Arielle. I'm basically done with the guide for today, but I'll be doing mini-updates at some point when I have more time...

I'm here to serve :)
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
In the old forum version, people didn't seem to like the energy talents, so I moved them later. You people keep not agreeing with each other. :(
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Stampede does remove the positional requirement of Ravage. It's a separate spell and its what been causing macros so many problems. It is however less dps then a normal opening ravage because when they buffed Ravage as a spell they forgot to buff the stampede buff version of the spell. At low levels I don't think you can notice but at 80 its the difference between 12k and 8k hits.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]