Gemming a shaman

85 Draenei Shaman
My impression of cata healing right now is that it's less about spamming heals as quick as possible to keep everyone up from massive raid damage like we did in wrath but more about thinking ahead and choosing the right heal for the right situation. In that vein I think int is going to be the most important at least in the early days of lvl 85. After that I'd go for a good crit rating and then fill up with haste. In other words, get your heals as big as possible while using as little mana as possible first before going for speed.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
My impression of cata healing right now is that it's less about spamming heals as quick as possible to keep everyone up from massive raid damage like we did in wrath but more about thinking ahead and choosing the right heal for the right situation. In that vein I think int is going to be the most important at least in the early days of lvl 85. After that I'd go for a good crit rating and then fill up with haste. In other words, get your heals as big as possible while using as little mana as possible first before going for speed.

Yup. There's very little reason to want haste, except to maybe get another tick of riptide. High haste with low crit is only asking for mana problems.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
As everyone has mostly stated.. Intellect will be the way to go for the start of expansion IMO. Most shamans were doing the same through Nax and Ulduar and in ToC there was more of a switch to haste rating.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
As everyone has mostly stated.. Intellect will be the way to go for the start of expansion IMO. Most shamans were doing the same through Nax and Ulduar and in ToC there was more of a switch to haste rating.

Actually we started gemming Haste when they buffed the range of chain heal bounces and took away hasted LHW from tidal waves (this was in ulduar) both of these changes along with the T8 4piece being a strict haste increase to Chain Heal, is why we gemmed haste and also when! =)

As for Cata, I can almost assure you it will be intellect as our primary stat for the first tier, with crit probably being second. If they do not make mastery effect the HoT portions of our heals, I would stay away. As of now it doesnt even effect earthliving, riptide hot, healing rain, healing stream totem, or even earth shield! Thats a quite large portion of our healing just not effected by the stat, that is probably the biggest reason above all to avoid it.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman

Actually we started gemming Haste when they buffed the range of chain heal bounces and took away hasted LHW from tidal waves (this was in ulduar) both of these changes along with the T8 4piece being a strict haste increase to Chain Heal, is why we gemmed haste and also when! =)
As for Cata, I can almost assure you it will be intellect as our primary stat for the first tier, with crit probably being second. If they do not make mastery effect the HoT portions of our heals, I would stay away. As of now it doesnt even effect earthliving, riptide hot, healing rain, healing stream totem, or even earth shield! Thats a quite large portion of our healing just not effected by the stat, that is probably the biggest reason above all to avoid it.

That was just before the release of ToC if I do recall... could be wrong my memory is awful with patches. Or I just made the switch to my gear with release of ToC because I switched to my shaman late.
Edited by Azzalia on 11/6/2010 8:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Haste is pretty 'meh' for Resto Shaman now. It's in the same boat as mastery for us as the gains are pretty minuscule compared to Int/crit. As stated above you don't want to be spamming heals in Cata because they have totally changed the way healing works (using the right spell at the right time as opposed to mashing out as many heals as you can).

Int = Spellpower + Mana + Tiny bit of crit.
Crit = Bigger heals + mana regen from Water Shield procs + Ancestral Awakening procs (more healing).

So gemming for Int would be your best bet (because you can't reforge it), then probably reforging for crit/Spirit depending on your current crit rate.

Note: Keep in mind this is from a Lv85 perspective, not Lv80.
Edited by Lonii on 11/6/2010 9:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

That was just before the release of ToC if I do recall... could be wrong my memory is awful with patches. Or I just made the switch to my gear with release of ToC because I switched to my shaman late.

You took me wrong, I wasnt saying you really had the time frame wrong or anything, I was just pointing out that it was more likely those changes that pushed the gemming to haste, not the change in tier/content =)
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman

You took me wrong, I wasnt saying you really had the time frame wrong or anything, I was just pointing out that it was more likely those changes that pushed the gemming to haste, not the change in tier/content =)

I know =P
Just putting two and two together out loud.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Personally, I haven't been gemming for crit too much, since we still get a fair amount of crit from int. How good mastery is also depends on what role you're filling. If you're healing a tank, they're going to spend more time with lower health, presumably making mastery more attractive. Whether it becomes more attractive than crit, spirit, or haste (probably not haste at the very least) I don't know though.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Warlock
haste is not about sniping other heals to win at meters..

its about getting the RIGHT heal to the RIGHT target in the right amount of time...

Which has always been the reason for haste to be so strong on shaman heals.. at any rate the idea behind haste is so that you are waiting as little time as possible for a heal to cast.. when you need it to land.. not about fitting in as many repeated casts as possible in a given timeframe..

faster cast gives you more windows to do various things such as.. move.. refresh watershield, drop totems, toss a triage heal on someone who is stable but will likely need more health to survive the next <insert random damage attack that just happens here>

Just because your not spamming heals nonstop does *NOT* automatically devalue haste.. something to keep in mind
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
If our regen remains anything like we are now, we'll have plenty of room to play with Haste and Int and try to find an optimal balance of them.

I don't see Haste plummeting in priority, but I also see the potential for it to shift to second or third place or with a lower "soft cap" than there is now at 80 which enables other stats to be pushed higher relatively.

Int is a very useful stat, for sure, but if all your spells are too slow to be able to cast and land without being overheal because a different healer class has better/faster heals by default, your presence is not needed. All of our spells either take a long time to cast or are very inefficient.

We can't spam Healing Surge throughout an entire encounter most likely even if we stack Spirit out the wazoo, so we are still going to need enough haste to bring HW, GHW, and CH down to a decent cast time in order to keep in line with others. Most other healers get base cast time reductions from talents or procs from abilities that are always up, so we need the haste to be able to keep up with those.

RE: "As stated above you don't want to be spamming heals in Cata because they have totally changed the way healing works (using the right spell at the right time as opposed to mashing out as many heals as you can). "
And "My impression of cata healing right now is that it's less about spamming heals as quick as possible to keep everyone up from massive raid damage like we did in wrath but more about thinking ahead and choosing the right heal for the right situation."

Have you read the posts on the old WoW forums? The general consensus from high end beta healers is that it is still very spammy, with even more massive raid damage than Wrath, just on a highly predictable schedule, there's less thinking about what spell to use than in Wrath and more use AoE abilities whenever possible.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Cata Stat Importance:

Int > Haste (Until Hard Cap, continue going past the soft cap because you won't be using healing surge all that often due to its high mana cost) > Crit > Mastery.

I never include spirit because I only ever take as much spirit as I need. It depends on each players spec and play style.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]