Didn't Stand a Chance

90 Pandaren Mage
So, this achievement has eluded me for a very long time now. I believe that the requirements have been subtly altered a few times since it was added. Some people have said you get credit if someone else is in the cannon and kills someone, others have said you get credit if you are in a cannon when someone dies on horseback (you don't have to be the one to shoot them).

I have been stuck at 15/20 for at least 6 months, possibly 9 months or longer. I am quite worried about the feasibility of getting this one done once Cataclysm launches - unless WG is converted somehow into a normal battleground I just don't see anyone going there any longer.

Does anyone have *real* tips that are current? Telling me how you got it over a year ago is not likely to be of much help... but if you have gotten it in the past few weeks then I want to hear how you did it!
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Rogue
What "some people" are suggesting simply isn't true. Otherwise you likely would have gotten it by proxy long before now.

Obviously you should focus on getting this achievement only when you're defending. You'll only get ganked by a rogue if you try this from the south towers.

Your absolute best bet for getting these kills is the first couple of minutes when players are riding past their starting workshop and either heading to the fortress or on to the workshop on the far side. This is the time when your team usually manages to land a couple of stuns on passing players, and you should try to hit them before they can dismount. So long as you get a hit on them and they die before they dismount, you get credit. You don't actually have to be the killing blow. "tagging" may come in to play here if your WG has multiple raids going, but there's nothing you can do about that.

Focus on the path your own team follows between the fortress and the workshop. Aim constantly at your players until they disappear due to range, then keep aiming where you think they are. I would recommend focusing more towards the front of the fortress since enemies will be riding past to get to the other workshop. Move on after about 2 minutes. Your chances of getting kills drop sharply simply because the enemy thins out so much it's near impossible to kill someone before they dismount.

And sorry to say there are no tricks here. You just have to grind it out. That's exactly how my main did it, and it probably took me a week of doing nothing but manning the canons.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Just get an alliance friend to come to a cannon in the corner and repeatedly nuke them.
Edited by Adsertif on 11/7/2010 4:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm 4 kills from getting this and more than likely won't get this before Cata goes live since the alliance on my server don't queue up for WG. They always have atleast 10 stacks and are camped at their GY nearly the entire time..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just get an alliance friend to come to a cannon in the corner and repeatedly nuke them.

This is what I did. At the time, I had my laptop which cannot handle good graphic settings on WoW. So view distance was set to minimum, and it's really hard to kill allies on a gun when they appear out of nowhere and dismount 2 seconds later.

With Real ID it's pretty easy to co-ordinate with someone who has an ally toon.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
What...I feel like a moron for asking this but do you kill people in vehicles or on their reg mounts?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
What...I feel like a moron for asking this but do you kill people in vehicles or on their reg mounts?

Regular mounts, you have to get the killing blow on them also w/ the cannon.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin

For some reason I always thought you had to kill people in vehicles..don't ask why..Going to trade kills with friend on ally side for this when he gets on.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You do not have to actually kill them while you are in a cannon, nor do you have to even hit them.

You just have to be close enough to get credit for the kill, and be in the raid with the person who got the killing blow. I got this over about a week of defenses by just sitting in one of the inner keep cannons lobbing shots over the wall and doing no discernible damage to anyone.

At least, no damage that was getting caught by recount.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Had a old friend on alliance side let me kill him for this achiev. Just need wins now and I'll never have to think about WG ever again.
Reply Quote
I got this achievement a few weeks ago. A friend from the opposite faction let me kill him over the course of two games. Because it was late at night and we were in an area that doesn't have high traffic I was able to get all of the first tags and killing blows.

Try to make friends with someone on the opposite faction. It will make this (and other WG achievements) much easier.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

Since when do you need the killing blow? I got this achievement by just afking in the inner courtyard cannons. I don't think I got one killing blow out of the 20.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]