Oceanic RolePlay Realm.

85 Orc Warrior
Blizzard, I know your time is precious, but one day in the near future, (Hopefully) will you fulfill our wishes?
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
An oceanic RP realm would be a fantastic idea and I'd move there asap. Please let us have one so we can all play the game together rather than being scattered all over the place like we currently are.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I concur! Really hoping we'll get an RP realm with Cata!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Having my mains on an rp server, i seriously doubt this will happen. I think blizz has put RP down as a nice idea that they tried but the practicalities of maintaining the high standard required for a true RP realm are not achievable with a community such as wows. The plethora of 'Ipwnu' and 'Healerpriest' toons is just one sign of how much blizz doesnt care about RP.

If you want RP, create it yourself on your own server. Form guilds and lists of friends. And dont bother interracting with the rest of the server in character. They wont care even if it is an RP realm.

I try an introduce a bit of RP into all the groups I belong in, but increasingly it has become the domain of the hardcore RPers while casual RP has really died out.
Reply Quote
82 Dwarf Rogue
Mmmaybe we should try to turn a lower population Oceanic server (yeah, I know, I mean relatively) into an unofficial RP realm? If we work together, we could build something good.

I should point out that Blizzard's reluctance to make an official one has some good reasons behind it. Oceanic servers are always crowded, so any new Oceanic server is going to have a huge influx of players who don't care if it's tagged RP or not. Also, any new RP server is going to draw in a lot of American roleplayers looking for a fresh start, regardless of what region it's listed for. :\

It's not so much that these groups are bad and need to be kept out at all costs, it's just that the actual Oceanic roleplayers are bound to get squeezed out and marginalised in their own realm. :\ If we claim a server for ourselves, we can choose the one that's going to have the most room for us to expand into and the most receptive existing community. It's something to think about anyway.
Edited by Veronni on 11/5/2010 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I'm not a big fan of RP but let the people have their realm. :p
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
We must fight the power!
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
I think you have highlighted one of the problems of the current situation without intending to. There ARE plenty of people in Australia who do like to RP the way that you want to but they are all spread all over the place. At the moment a lot of people are well established and do not really want to move but want everyone to reroll on their own realm.

Sadly this only leaves the oceanic population still scattered and many people just sitting around on the US realms waiting for somewhere cerntralised that they know other Aussies are going to move to rather than some random players pet realm that is going to be aother clone of the population problems they have encountered on their current realm.

Aussies deserve to have an RP realm just as much as the US players and proportionally we are well past the point where we should have one already. There is nothing wrong with Aussies and there are plenty of us who would RP "properly" as you put it.

There are also many other players who are going to move to the realm in the simple hope that they are going to encounter a more mature population than is generally the case on "Normal" realms. I have no problems with sharing a server with these guys either.

I also don't see a problem with having American players roll on our server because what it will do (like it has for Blackrock) is create a server which is vibrant and active 24/7 (well ecept for Tuesday nights :P).

First and formost an Oceanic RP realm provides a place for people who are in the oceanic timezone to congregate and KNOW that other players in the sametimezone are going to be around. Another really important thing that is does is provide a place for new Australian players to go to experience RP... I mean at the moment what are they going to do, look at the oceanic tab... okay no RP realm, I'll just check out one of these american realms... after half an hour getting the character just right and comming up with a little story to get going the player logs in all excited and lo and behold... there isn't anyone to talk to. Sure they might be around on the server somewhere but this new player isn't going to know where to look. THey will get disheartened and reroll on a normal realm and make do with gamepla which is less than ideal for them.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
If the RP realm is released with a few normal/PVP ones at the same time, hopefully that would make it less likely for overflow to go "ZOMG, NEW SERVER" and more likely to gravitate to normal servers instead.

See, I don't get the people who say this is a bad idea because of that - how is releasing an RP server a worse idea than centralising RP on a normal/PVP server? People HAVE tried the latter before. Yeah, if an RP server is released it's likely that jerks and griefers will come over - but let's face it, all other RP realms are like that anyway. There is no such thing as the one perfect RP realm where there is no griefing. All RP realms, no matter how good, end up atrophying into such a state eventually anyway. I'd rather have a bad RP realm than none at all.

Also, the reason why it seems like Oceanic peeps don't care about RP is because all the RPers are either scattered across non-RP Oceanic realms, or are scattered across US RP realms, like myself.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Really wish they'd make an RP and RP-PVP realm. Can't believe we still don't have one. Even with all the resources as Blizzard-Activision's disposal...

I've tried teh US realms. Infact one of my first realms, before Oceania existed, was Silver Hand. However there are just not enough players during our time to give any sense of a living world, let alone enjoy the actual game with raiding. World PVP is non-existent in this game anyway and thankfully dungeons/battlegrounds can be completed cross-server.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Hopefully Blizzard actually looks at this forum and takes in what us whiny Oceanic players have to say.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Hopefully Blizzard actually looks at this forum and takes in what us whiny Oceanic players have to say.

Whiney? What is so whiney? Is it that much to ask that we have our own server for a populated fan base?

Burning Crusade sold ~100,000 copies here in Australia within the first 24 hours. That is massive for a PC game. The fact that it's an expansion means that 100,000 accounts were active at the time.

Now if you assume each realm has a capacity of 10,000, which I doubt they do, then that's 10 seperate realms minimum to house them.

Due to the code of conduct we can't mention other games. But there is one out there, that is over a decade old which has had a server for a decade. So what is Blizzard-Activision's excuse? Someone else was able to do it before the average player had a 56k modem...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Not just RP servers. Oz needs more servers of all types. If there was a RP server I would be in on it 4 sure.
Reply Quote
41 Night Elf Druid
Mmmaybe we should try to turn a lower population Oceanic server (yeah, I know, I mean relatively) into an unofficial RP realm? If we work together, we could build something good.

I should point out that Blizzard's reluctance to make an official one has some good reasons behind it. Oceanic servers are always crowded, so any new Oceanic server is going to have a huge influx of players who don't care if it's tagged RP or not. Also, any new RP server is going to draw in a lot of American roleplayers looking for a fresh start, regardless of what region it's listed for. :\

It's not so much that these groups are bad and need to be kept out at all costs, it's just that the actual Oceanic roleplayers are bound to get squeezed out and marginalised in their own realm. :\ If we claim a server for ourselves, we can choose the one that's going to have the most room for us to expand into and the most receptive existing community. It's something to think about anyway.

I play on Gundrak, an Oceanic PvP realm that was created at the start of Wotlk. It is one of the lowest population realms around so plenty of room to grow.

Gundrak is proof of two things.

1: Oceanic realms do not all get swamped by players
2: Blizzard doesn't care if Oceanic realms die

If ya'll want a roleplaying home then you'd be welcome to build a community on Gundrak. Like any realm (including official RP realms) you will no doubt bump into haters but at least on Gundrak there are only a couple of hundred active alliance players so there won't be too many players to avoid.
Reply Quote
80 Human Death Knight
I definitely agree with people that suggest we simply take an existing realm and use it for our purposes. We appropriated Blackrock and Proudmoore as unofficial Oceanic servers before we got our own, why not do it with RP?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]