DPS is as DPS does?

85 Gnome Rogue
I saw a troubling message from GC on the old forums saying something like, "We want to make Divine Storm more like Fan of Knives."

Are all DPS the same all of a sudden? Are there X, Y, Z abilities that every DPS class is supposed to have and they're just re-skinned and called something different for each class?

I get it, some of us need interrupts and stuff like that but to bring into the design philosophy old content seems like a bad idea to me. I don't play a retribution paladin but I always kinda fancied how it was similar to the D2 paladin hammer (which they used for single target damage as well).
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Druid
The current implementation of Divine Storm consumes Holy Power to do maximum damage. This can be annoying in situations where you need the HP for other things.

When in aoe situations, a rogue can use FoK without having a ramp up. Their energy regen, however, caps how often they can FoK. A paladin, on the other hand, must build up HP before being able to have DS hit for a good amount. This is, what I believe GC had been referring to when he had made that comment. On demand aoe is a staple for all dps.
Reply Quote
80 Human Rogue
The current implementation of Divine Storm consumes Holy Power to do maximum damage. This can be annoying in situations where you need the HP for other things.

When in aoe situations, a rogue can use FoK without having a ramp up. Their energy regen, however, caps how often they can FoK. A paladin, on the other hand, must build up HP before being able to have DS hit for a good amount. This is, what I believe GC had been referring to when he had made that comment. On demand aoe is a staple for all dps.

But i really would not call FoK on demand aoe for a rogue either, we get 4+-1 Off and than we have to wait for energy regen to kick in before we can spam some more, it gives a nice burst, but after that it falls off.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
[quote]But i really would not call FoK on demand aoe for a rogue either, we get 4+-1 Off and than we have to wait for energy regen to kick in before we can spam some more, it gives a nice burst, but after that it falls off.

So being able to cast you AoE 5 times whever you want, assuming you have a full energy bar, isn't AoE on demand? Granted, you can't keep it up like a mage or lock, but I'd still say that's AoE on demand.
Reply Quote
80 Human Rogue
[quote]But i really would not call FoK on demand aoe for a rogue either, we get 4+-1 Off and than we have to wait for energy regen to kick in before we can spam some more, it gives a nice burst, but after that it falls off.

So being able to cast you AoE 5 times whever you want, assuming you have a full energy bar, isn't AoE on demand? Granted, you can't keep it up like a mage or lock, but I'd still say that's AoE on demand.

hardly call it on demand after that 5th (potentially, depending on energy regen) cast.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
AoE spells should be easy to use, or else trash would just die too fast before it could be used.
3 HP Divine Storm was ridiculous. It was even worse than having to use Savage Roar before Swipe Cat before 4.0.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I saw a troubling message from GC on the old forums saying something like, "We want to make Divine Storm more like Fan of Knives."

Are all DPS the same all of a sudden? Are there X, Y, Z abilities that every DPS class is supposed to have and they're just re-skinned and called something different for each class?

I get it, some of us need interrupts and stuff like that but to bring into the design philosophy old content seems like a bad idea to me. I don't play a retribution paladin but I always kinda fancied how it was similar to the D2 paladin hammer (which they used for single target damage as well).

Be glad you're not stuck with Fire Nova.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

And earthquake? Or is that elemental only? If so, sorry.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
I cant help but not feel flavor being taken away from the classes with all the homogenization going on, its not that i don't understand the philosophy, I'm just kind of sad that we have to sacrifice flavor and fun for balance.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

Yes. And most Ele Shammies actually hate Earthquake.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
It's like Mortal Kombat. We all get uppercut and foot-sweep!
Anyway, I find it interesting they're spending time on things like this after they also stated that they planned to make AoE much less viable. Didnt they also buff Fire Mage and Warlock AoE a ton? Seems a waste of resources considering trash DPS is the least important thing to worry about in a raid.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue

Divine Storm and Fan of Knives are not the same (for instance Fan of Knives doesn't put your combo point generators on CD)

And you would call going out of energy aoe'ing what? Thats pretty much the same thing as combo moves going on cd.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue

Hate the spell itself, or the panquake spell effect?
Reply Quote
80 Undead Mage

Hate the spell itself, or the panquake spell effect?

I would hate to see what kind of IHOP you go to if you think that thing looks like a pancake.
Reply Quote
I don't know if they're trying to make all dps classes play the same. I just know that the way paladin plays now is a huge improvement over what it used to be, I would just put ds cs and consecrate in succesion on my ab and hammer the buttons for those spells randomly which would give me "good ret paladin dps".

The class was extremely boring imo, if having divine storm cost resources is similiar to a rogue's fan of knives then I say it's worth it, I wouldn't know if it is though as I don't play rogues.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
I cant help but not feel flavor being taken away from the classes with all the homogenization going on, its not that i don't understand the philosophy, I'm just kind of sad that we have to sacrifice flavor and fun for balance.

Exactly how I feel, it's not so much that maybe Divine Storm needs more mechanics similar to Fan of Knives but when the designers state something like that so plainly it hits a nerve like my class isn't unique anymore.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
btw that is the BEST unibrow
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If it makes you feel better, it's more like Whirlwind than Fan of Knives.

Besides, you still get to keep improved invisibility. Sure, you can call it "stealth" all you want, but we all know it's just invisibility, but able to be used much more effectively.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Most classes and specs are hooked around a single AOE ability. A few of them have overlapping AOE attacks but principally you will be hitting the same button several times in any extended AOE scenario. For what little room there's available to differentiate Fan and Storm, Blizzard has leveraged enough space with Fan applying poisons and Storm providing some melee-cluster healing.

Having a strong unique feeling to each classes' single-target system is a priority because it's what you are going to be executing 95% of the time. For what little time you'll spend in Cataclysm casting AOEs there isn't as big an impetus to have the AOE play as uniquely.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]