Light of Dawn

80 Dwarf Paladin
I think the trade off of dumping holy power into either a strong single-target heal or a smart AoE Heal is an excellent design.

As it stands now, there is little reason to not cast LoD on cooldown every cooldown, just to throw some free healing out there. The "choice" is basically non-existent if you have a free GCD.
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
And when will they fix the FRIGN GRAPHIC SO YOU CAN POINT IT RIGHT?
I have had LoD in one of my movies go STRAIGHT UP, WTF? Missed everyone point blank!

Just wait until you get the 'Jar of Ancient Remedies' trinket at lvl 85...

I still think the cone on LoD makes it to annoying to use and is prone to way to many bugs. To continue on from the old forums...

It needs a z-axis radius attached to it, definitely. I still like the idea of the cone though with it only being limited to six targets - it prevents it from being a complete CoH clone.

What do you mean by a z-axis radius? Is that like Chain Heal?

I don’t want a CoH clone, but there are far more practical ways to make this spell unique then resorting to a 3D graphical buggy spell that is near impossible to use.

I haven’t done Al'Akir on Beta yet, but using Light of Dawn in that last phase looks as fun as a ‘Jigsaw’ trap from a ‘Saw’ movie.

Also… new forums, I like everything except the text, whoever thought brown text on a brown background was a good idea should be fired, im getting a headache trying to read these forums. Bring back white text on a black background.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

What do you mean by a z-axis radius? Is that like Chain Heal?

I'll draw stick figures.

............................................\ | / <why no LoD healz bro!>
..............................................o
............................................./|\
o.(LoD cast)......................./\______________
|<@@@@@@@ .........__|
/\_________________|_________________________
0 yards....................... 15 yards................. 30 yards

If someone is higher or lower than you vertically, LoD doesn't hit. I.e., if you're knocked back on Putricide and you LoD, it won't hit anyone. If you're knocked back and cast CoH or WG, you'll still hit people in a 15 yard radius around you (even if they're below you, or in front of you and below you)
Edit: Wanted to test out pre tags, but they don't seem to want to work much here ^_^

Edit: Oh, pre tags don't even work at all on these forums, QQ.
Edited by Eloderung on 11/5/2010 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I would like to see the effective range of the spell increased. Circle of Healing and Wildgrowth have a much, much larger range, and don't require you to be facing in any direction.

Here's a graphic I made to show just how bad the difference is. http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/186/lodcoh.jpg

I think it's ok for CoH to have a larger range since it does have a CD and heals for less, but I think the difference in range is too large at the moment. Even with uncapped healing targets, LoD seems pretty unimpressive. When I'm in a BG or 10 man I rarely see more than 10k healing per LoD cast. Even though CoH has a limited number of heals, I generally see much bigger numbers out of it (typically 15-20k per cast).

Offtopic but I'd like to point out that either WG needs to be nerf'd or CoH needs to be buffed. For spells with nearly identical mechanics, the difference in healing is pretty egregious.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The z-axis range business is quite interesting!

To be honest, I always thought that LoD would be a little more interesting with a tiny circle around the casting paladin added to the AoE. Tiny, say, 2-4 yard circle around paladin, then cone outwards- that way not only does it always include the paladin (with the specific inclusion of him/her, as in the current spell), but it is a little more forgiving on folks in the paladin's immediate vicinity. :)

I dunno, though, at this point, my eyes sparkle, my heart is full, and I don't want to keep sounding like an unsatisfied child. My dreams for paladin healing are fulfilled in a million and a half ways!

Ah! I forgot, nearly- I think it might work things out a bit better if the majority of AoE heals at this point targeted the ground instead of a person- much like LoD. Again, only a thought- not my intent to nerf people, but it has long been my thought that this would solve the smart heal quandry- smart heals that target the ground require player intelligence to use properly, and based off of battlefield surveying skills, can get downright OP pretty easily- all based off the healer's skill- and not even green bar reading skill! :)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
woot! not banned from these forums:D
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
The way I see it as long as LoD has the buggy unreliable cone, Holy Radiance will have to be a much stronger spell to make up for LoD many restrictions and RNG.

Druids and Priests can use CoH and WG and know it will always heal, they can do this with ought having to position themselves in a awkward spot, they also get to choose the player and the general area in which the heals would effect.

So until the cone is removed and LoD becomes equally reliable as CoH and WG, not only will it continue to under perform, but Holy Radiance will have to be more overpowered.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The only times i see LoD effective is when raid needs to stack, I've tested a few raids and five mans on the beta. Theres very few instances where you would use it, but I will still use it if I can get more than one person to get hit by it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Paladins were cleanse bots back in Vanilla, not so much fun then either!

We have other spells?!?!

But on a more serious note, This is going too be a huge boost for us in terms of AoE Support Healing. Still going too miss the Pre-Cata 18,000 Heals per Second numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
So, we were told we might see such a thing, and here it is, Light of Dawn as the holy power based smart heal mechanic!

I love the idea. I'm not blessed with beta access, but even without it, I am so stoked!

But big question is this- I got wind of this through MMO Champion, and Boubouille is awesome, I just- his recent little flub with the scaling makes me all the sudden nervous to accept this as gospel.

Has this gone through?

What do ya'll think?

I believe this is going to be really awesome- so much so, I think it will take balancing to not be OP. But I don't mind that, I'm just still basking in the glow of these recent changes. Ever since raid testing began, I've been getting more and more comfortable with the new way things work- both on my own, and in the synergies I have with other healers.

I can't freaking wait to raid something other than ICC. :D

Yes it has gone through on the beta - and I really like it. =)

I think we will be choosing whether to use LoD or WoG based on our healing assignment now. WoG for tank healis and LoD for raid heals (omg, did you ever think you would see the day when a pally would be assigned raid heals?). That's probably what the developers intended with the change.

The best thing about this in my opinion is that our spec feels so much more flexible now. In wrath, I used to feel so pigeon holed - if I suddenly had to provide raid heals I felt like I had no tools for it and I would just throw flashes around as fast as I could and hope I didn't lose too many dps. It was so frustrating. But now, I have 2 choices to AoE heal with and I still have good single target heals and a baby beacon too! It really is like playing a whole different class.

What I hope is that they keep the same model they have right now. Mana from judging is a really great improvement and the spell mechanics feel really good - so do all the numbers tuning you need to Blizz - just keep the mechanics from this build. Please =D
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I must say, I'm loving Holy Power.

Things just got a lot more interesting...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
has LoD felt like chain heal at any point? the tool tip makes it look very similar but i was hoping for beta input.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The way I see it as long as LoD has the buggy unreliable cone, Holy Radiance will have to be a much stronger spell to make up for LoD many restrictions and RNG.

I've got to say, I don't mind this, as of now. It's possible that there will be bosses that make me want to rip my hair out when trying to raid heal with LoD, but I doubt it will come quite to that threshold. The thing is, I never really WANTED an exact CoH/WG clone- I think the cone might need tweaking, but I also think it's a beautiful idea, and one that will extend eventually to CoH/WG, rather than their mechanics getting arranged around us.

Now, of course, we all predicted this would be the line many paladins would take- we've been asking for this- this exact, precise thing- for months and months, because this pack of us who were crafting our way around felt like this would be a good niche for LoD (otherwise HR and LoD blatantly conflicted with each other, one requiring ranged positioning for max effect, the other requiring close proximity)
I think I'm with a LOT of paladins when I say I believe I'll enjoy the flavor of the cone, and that between this cone and HR, which can and should remain strong, we'll be superbly viable as raid healers.

I don't want to be a priest, man. I like the differentiation, and I want the cone to stay. Less buggy cone? For sure, I want that! But I think this particular restriction/nerf (and yes, I agree, LoD is not as effective as CoH or WG- but I don't believe it HAS to be, at this point) makes for a more interesting skill set.

I can't wait for all us healers to be more focused on WHERE the giant, random fireball landed, and throw heals in that direction, instead of focusing on where on our set of green bars there is less green. XD That may be a pipe dream, but I don't think it HAS to be, and LoD working like this, Holy Radiance, Efflorescence, and HW:Sanctuary- oh, and Healing Rains, PW:Barrier- they are all moving in that direction. I sense a testing of waters- and I LIKE it. I, for one, welcome out new position-based healing overlords. :) :) :)

Edit To mention: Blizz didn't give it to us because we asked for it, but we asked for it because it was logical and sensible, and Blizz handed it over for the same reason. I love pretending to be an analyst for Blizzard- GC listens really well and really close to careful, measured, well-thought out arguments. He doesn't always agree, and changes take a while to come down the pipe even if he listens, but the devs DO listen when you speak with the voice of reason. I don't want to sound like some power-playing Mary-Sue- I like to include myself in the 'we' that did all this besides, but there were a lot of other, more eloquent people talking there. I strongly suspect most of them will stay silent now, because, frankly, besides bugs and numbers, there's not that freaking much more to worry about! :)
Edited by Fordrus on 11/6/2010 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
has LoD felt like chain heal at any point? the tool tip makes it look very similar but i was hoping for beta input.

I'd say with the new changes it's like a hybrid between CoH and Cheal. It's much easier to use it on one clump of people (though the range still allows hitting spread out targets, in a line), and doesn't have a rigid cooldown as it depends on ToR/Daybreak procs and how the fight is playing out.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I would like to see the effective range of the spell increased. Circle of Healing and Wildgrowth have a much, much larger range, and don't require you to be facing in any direction.

Here's a graphic I made to show just how bad the difference is. http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/186/lodcoh.jpg

I think it's ok for CoH to have a larger range since it does have a CD and heals for less, but I think the difference in range is too large at the moment. Even with uncapped healing targets, LoD seems pretty unimpressive. When I'm in a BG or 10 man I rarely see more than 10k healing per LoD cast. Even though CoH has a limited number of heals, I generally see much bigger numbers out of it (typically 15-20k per cast).

Offtopic but I'd like to point out that either WG needs to be nerf'd or CoH needs to be buffed. For spells with nearly identical mechanics, the difference in healing is pretty egregious.

Sorry but your pic shows LoD amost twice as large of width as it really is. LoD is half that size.

It may not be perfectly accurate, but it's pretty close. http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2868/lodcoh2.jpg

The graphic obviously shows LoD at a disadvantage. While the effective area appears to be similar, LoD's shape is unnatural. People have a tendency to arrange themselves in a circle, not in a triangle. The inability to cast it at range or in any direction other than forward are obvious limitations as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]