Possible to skin the Blizzard Buff Frame?

I'm just getting started creating addons (my first one was a really simple minimap mod). I'm kind of learning as I go, and one thing I'd like to try is to make a simple addon to reskin the default UI buff frame with ButtonFacade.

My question is, what would be the most efficient way to do this? Would I have to create a new frame to replace the default buff frame and skin that, or can I skin the default frame directly somehow?

I'm willing to put in the work to learn how to write this myself (in fact, I'd prefer to do as much on my own as I can) and I'm not asking anyone to do any coding for me, but after looking around for a while I'm having trouble finding much information, so I thought I'd ask here to see if it was possible and get a feel for what I'm getting myself in to.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any information you might have. My knowledge of XML/Lua is still pretty minimal, so any advice/tips/resources anyone might know of would be greatly appreciated too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
All you need to do is set up an addon to tell Button Facade to skin the buttons.

bf = LibStub("LibButtonFacade", true)
bf:Group("MyAddon", "SomeGroupName"):AddButton(buffbutton)

It is obviously more than that, as you need to get the buttons and skin them as they are created as they are created dynamically now if I recall.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Have a look at the addon BlizzFacade: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13800-BlizzFacade.html
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Death Knight
Also, if you are looking into learning to do stuff on your own, you should check out TukUI, they have a wonderful addon set that does a lot of things and they have all of the code stripped into easily understandable sections so you can see how things are done.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
And be careful. There are now some limitations on what addons can do with regard to buffs. I've seen reports of some folks having problems clicking off a buff if it is inside an addon. Might just be a bug, but it seemed like they made a restriction so an addon could not programatically cancel an aura when it popped up. Not sure the current status of this, so YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]