WoD Shaman FAQ

(Sticky)

100 Draenei Shaman
Again, elemental can never go below 3 charges by dealing damages to attackers anyway. The glyph doesn't do anything. I guess this really is a FAQ.

I'll rephrase the elemental gearing section. I can see how it could be confusing.
Reply Quote
- Earth shield counts as the target healing, so if it heals 100 damage they get 50 threat. This is affected by defensive stance/bear form and defiance/feral instinct, so a warrior/druid tank generates 0.725 threat against all mobs per point of damage healed. It is unknown if this healing threat is affected by Paladins' righteous fury spell. It's unlikely, since the healing effect is listed as nature, not holy. Also paladins get 50% threat from healing passively, so the difference would be minimized.

This is incorrect. Earth shield was changed for the 3.0 patch (pre wrath patch) so that the healing it did was correctly attributed to the casting shaman and also so that the spell would properly use the casting shaman's spell crit rate instead of the target's spell crit rate. A side effect of this change is that all threat generated by the spell is now attributed to the casting shaman. You can verify this by casting Earth shield on a party member and then have that party member body pull a group of mobs. After a few Procs of earth shield the mobs will begin to peel off and attack the shaman (assuming the puller does not do anything to increase his own threat, the threat generated by ES is pretty minimal but it is there).

As far as the Lightning Shield glyph, you might find you will get less questions about it if you simply put a note in that part of the faq that says "Has little to no value in pve play but may have some value to pvp players."
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Thanks, the earth shield section is actually wrong on several points. Paladins don't generate less healing threat either.

The lightning shield glyph is always useless for elemental. There are two ways to trigger lightning shield charges from doing damage; static shock and fulmination. Static shock is enhancement, so elemental doesn't have access to it, and fulmination only uses charges 4-9, it never uses 1-3. Based on the number of questions, this might warrant a FAQ entry all on its own.
Reply Quote
you're forgetting about charges activating when damaged by an attacker, those charges consume stacks. That is why a pvp shaman might be interested in the glyph. With the Glyph, even under heavy focus fire LS would not fall off and need to be recast.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Actually reading the wowhead comments, the glyph doesn't perform as the tooltip is written.

The tooltip says "Your Lightning Shield can no longer drop below 3 charges from dealing damage to attackers.". Very clear.

But static shock doesn't consume charges at all, and fulmination doesn't use up the first 3 charges. As the tooltip is actually written, the glyph would be useless for everybody.

What it actually does is what you said earlier, it stops you from losing charges 1-3 when YOU are hit. The tooltip is totally wrong.

Thanks for clearing this up-- an incorrect tooltip is definitely FAQ material.
Edited by Slant on 11/19/2010 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
Edited for your edit :)

I don't really know what they were thinking with that tooltip. If they just stopped at... "Your Lightning Shield can no longer drop below 3 charges" it would be much clearer.
Edited by Horac on 11/19/2010 11:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Yep, and thanks. I obviously didn't understand it myself.
Reply Quote
Great post Slant, Im sure many are very grateful for the time and effort you put into this.

I dont have a beta key, and I am embarassed to admit that Ive had little luck getting enhsim to work... So I am wondering if you or anyone reading this thread would have an opportunity to answer two questions for me:

1. Once we hit 81, where does UE fall into the rotation priority and does the overall priority change or does it just slide in between say priorities 3 and 4? Does it replace another attack?

2. I have been doing insane amounts of reading and I read something about wild magic potions being better overall dps than haste pots, yet I cannot find where I read this. Has anyone simmed this and is there any definitive answer?

Thanks so much for this thread, great stuff!

Shöckakhan
80 Shaman Medivh <Turmoil>
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
In the standard 85 single-target enhancement priority, unleash elements is prioritized third, after lava lash and MW5 LB. It doesn't replace another attack as 4.0 enhance is not GCD locked. Obviously this is very much in flux; we just learned we're getting a respec in the next patch and nobody knows why, and the enhsim has been in fairly rapid development over the past month or two.

Nobody bothered to look at optimizing play from levels 81-84, but again since we're not GCD locked it's a safe bet that you should start using UE once you get it.

There's some evidence that potting wild magic beats speed for enhance at 80, but I haven't seen any definitive word. You would need to sim it to tell if it's superior in your specific gear and raid composition. There's no ambiguity at 85. Enhance will want the potion of the tol'vir.
Edited by Slant on 11/20/2010 10:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nobody bothered to look at optimizing play from levels 81-84, but again since we're not GCD locked it's a safe bet that you should start using UE once you get it.

With that in mind... is it safe to assume same priority rotation as 80 with just slipping UE into the 3rd position? Or is there something else those of us without a beta key should be aware of? =D

Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Sure it's safe. It's not like your DPS actually matters while leveling as long as the mobs die before you do.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Shaman
I've always wondered (which hasn't been very long since I'm relatively new to shaman) why LB>CL. I know LB has better scaling, but does that make up for the faster cast time of CL? It seems to me that being able to get a spell out faster would make up for a lower coefficient.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I've always wondered (which hasn't been very long since I'm relatively new to shaman) why LB>CL. I know LB has better scaling, but does that make up for the faster cast time of CL? It seems to me that being able to get a spell out faster would make up for a lower coefficient.

CL is better up to a certain point, where LB's better scaling overcomes the faster cast. That point used to be somewhere around 1800 spellpower; I personally don't know if that point has changed due to the talent changes in 4.0 or not, so maybe someone has those numbers handy to fill in the blanks.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Shaman
Under Unleash Elements, the link for Unleash Wind is the same as Unleash Earth.

Unleash Wind should be: http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=73681
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Thank you, fixed.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Changes:

- Added "Deep Healing (Resto Mastery)" section, explaining exactly how it works. Stat weights are still largely unavailable.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
CL is better up to a certain point, where LB's better scaling overcomes the faster cast. That point used to be somewhere around 1800 spellpower; I personally don't know if that point has changed due to the talent changes in 4.0 or not, so maybe someone has those numbers handy to fill in the blanks.

Actually, from what I've read CL does do more DPCT and flat DPS than LB with available gear at 85. That much faster cast and base damage is hard to beat, even with superior scaling on LB.

However, it only gets 33% of your elemental overload (elemental mastery) chance per hit, and elemental mastery is quite strong, so you don't want to use it on single targets once you get mastery at 80.

FYI, even glyphed it remains 33% of your overload chance per hit, the glyph doesn't drop it. This may end up in the FAQ, not sure how common the question is yet.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Ah, so the changes do have a significant impact. Good to know, thanks Slant.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
More Changes:

- Updated version to 4.0.3a. No changes to the FAQ specifically for this patch.
- Added comparative resto mastery stat weights to "Deep Healing (Resto Mastery)" section
- - Changed Gearing Resto and Reforging Resto sections to indicate mastery value. It's a superior throughput stat to crit in situations when you actually need it, even at level 80, and the mana regen doesn't matter at 80.
- Thanks to Faveokatro in the thread below for doing the math on resto mastery!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1083320196?page=2

- Also removed all those stupid dots, blizzard fixed the bug with post formatting.
Edited by Slant on 11/23/2010 7:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
49 Human Warlock
Once we hit 81, where does UE fall into the rotation priority and does the overall priority change or does it just slide in between say priorities 3 and 4? Does it replace another attack?

ULE plays an important part in the shock rotation for Enh PVE. Since you will be using WF/FT....the FT unleash buff can increase the damage and dot of your next flame shock. The duration of FS dot is 18 sec, and overlaps the 15sec cd of ULE pretty well.

Typically its like this: ULE FS ES ES.... repeat

If FS dot is still ticking you can use ES instead, and FS following it.
You can also use ULE soon as cd is up because the buff lasts 8 sec and gives plenty of time to refresh FS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]