WoD Shaman FAQ

(Sticky)

90 Troll Shaman
question:
i do pve ele and pvp resto with the same weapon..which enchant do you guys suggest?

i would assume a +intellect enchant, but not sure if that would be best
Reply Quote
97 Draenei Shaman
You have some good information in here for brand new shamans. However, you haste info is based on lich king values and not the current cata numbers.

-The soft haste cap for resto is not ~916 not anywhere close to that number. It is 5488 for a 1.5 sec cast such as Healing Surge to be at the 1.0 sec GCD. If you want to know how much haste you need for a given spell the formula is.
New Cast Time = Base Cast Time / ((( 1 + (Haste Rating / 12805 )) * 1.05)
So plug 1.0 for the new time and 1.5 for the base and your haste rating to even it is 5487.85
Edited by Arrmora on 1/12/2011 11:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
97 Draenei Shaman
01/12/2011 5:15 PMPosted by Qralius
question:
i do pve ele and pvp resto with the same weapon..which enchant do you guys suggest?

i would assume a +intellect enchant, but not sure if that would be best

Heartsong is currently the best enchant for a resto shaman.
Hurricane is currently the best enchant for a elemental shaman.

If you want to use just one and back and forth I might lean more towards Hurricane since 450 haste for 12 secs is great for killing other players and well as when it procs you can heal much faster as well.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
That's correct. I explain the resto soft haste cap immediately below the gearing/reforging resto section.

I appreciate the constructive feedback, but please do read the FAQ before commenting on it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/05/2010 6:27 AMPosted by Slant
1% Crit = 179.28 Critical strike rating = 83.3 Agility = 167 Intellect

So there's no point in gemming crit then? 4 Smooth Amberjewel = 2 Delicate Inferno Ruby and 4 Brilliant Inferno Ruby grant more crit than 4 Smooth Amberjewel
Edited by Joulakil on 1/17/2011 4:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
OK so I tested it. It was a typo. 617 Int = 1% crit.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
What seems to be a good crit amount for resto shamans beginning progression raids? My guild did BWD tonight, first 2 bosses, and while it was doable, I was hurting hard for mana. I know I can use more int/spirit, but I have no idea how much crit I should be shooting for.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
01/17/2011 5:43 PMPosted by Joulakil
OK so I tested it. It was a typo. 617 Int = 1% crit.

Actually, that number wasn't updated from level 80. The correct value is 649 int = 1% spell crit. I updated the FAQ. Thanks for catching this!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
01/17/2011 10:47 PMPosted by Spaceghst
What seems to be a good crit amount for resto shamans beginning progression raids? My guild did BWD tonight, first 2 bosses, and while it was doable, I was hurting hard for mana. I know I can use more int/spirit, but I have no idea how much crit I should be shooting for.

At this point, 15% to 20% sound most reasonable (with Acuity), 2000 spirit with great timing if you drop mana tide during spirit trinkets help a ton!

First 2 BWD's bosses are indeed gonna drain your mana. Telluric Current is a great talent for first 3 bosses in BWD (Magmaw, Omnitron, and Maloriak) because there's time where the boss take tons of damage which means more mana back if you spamming LB.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
First off great post, and sorry if this is sorry off of the subject of you post. I was just wondering if you knew which out of enhance and elemental was more viable for dps.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Paladin
Thanks a lot! Finally i got this! :)

what's useful addons i might use?
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
I disagree with the EJ resto thread on gearing priorities. I believe they undervalue mastery in 4.0.3 and it'll be even better when buffed in 4.0.6. Check the FAQ's explanation of resto mastery to understand my reasoning.

If you're interested in the math behind my stance on resto mastery, it's at this link.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1083320196?page=2#23

If you think I'm wrong, please provide the theorycraft to justify that standpoint and I will change the FAQ.

Also I don't think anyone puts crit ahead of haste, but that's another conversation entirely.
Reply Quote
I am kind of new to the shaman class so this may be a dumb question, but if you have the Glyph of Lightning Shield, do you need to fill the Static Shock talent point? I mean with the glyph, you can't drop below three charges, so the talent seems kind of pointless.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
Static shock no longer gives the extra charges as of 4.0.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
4.0.6 changes
- Removed 4.0.3 FT/FT w/ spellpower mainhand note for enhancement

- Changed WF weapon references from 2 to 3 attacks

- Removed reference to attack speed vs. haste for windfury totem. These are real haste effects that give energy/focus/rune regen.

- Updated Deep Healing (resto mastery) section to reflect that each point of mastery is 3% healing now

- Also updated with new cutoff points for mastery rating vs. haste and crit rating. For the math see this post and replace 2.5 with 3.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1083320196?page=2#24

- Removed mana tide and tremor totems from "Which Totems aren't raid-wide?" section

- Removed references to drums of battle from bloodlust section. TBC items that don't work on characters > lvl 79.

- Removed links to totemspot enhance and resto guides as they are two patches out of date now. (Edit: Enhance is updated, re-added it.)

- I need confirmation on new coefficients for chain heal, greater healing wave, and earthquake (now that EQ has one). Can anyone provide these?

- Updated EJ and totemspot links for 4.0.6
Edited by Slant on 2/8/2011 8:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
you wrote that for gearing for elemental spirit is more valuable than hit but I thought spirit only grants mana regen for elemental while out of combat, so it won't make much if any difference while raiding.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
It's not much difference, but it's still better to reforge to spirit than hit.
Reply Quote
Excellent post. I have a couple of questions and you seem to be the one who could answer them.
1st. I like using Searing totem , even if I have to recast it to make it work. However I have gotten into some sticky situations while raiding as it has a mind of its own. That said When its not out I see a significant drop in dps. So I assume that Flametongue is the substitute ?

2nd. Alot of sites EJ included say Crit/crit meta is a must . Yet its the last thing that is important to us. I chose Ember Shadow spirit so I up my int and run speed. Thought it would come in handy with all the moving. I considered the Mastery meta. Im question is and for everyone what are peoples thoughts on the meta For elemental shaman.
Thankyou for a terrific post
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]