Monk Tank......HELP ME!!!!!!

90 Night Elf Priest
Ok I've been leveling a Disc priest I have all BoA's an rest are good blues I started at lvl 15 an have only healer dungeons an a few BG's never had a problem ever until I got my 1st monk tank so here I am thinkin ok the new class this should be fun..........well is wasn't lol to say the least I'm lvl 69 now an outta all of this dungeon runs since 15 most of the group never take damage except a monk 5 times i've had que with monk tanks an even with a bubble and me trying to flash heal an renew an inner focus with prayer to bubble the whole group idk what to do all 5 times have been wipe after wipe they drop like stones through air.....so any advice would be great cause either I'm getting all bads or I'm doing something wrong in my healing on the monk class please any tips or advice would be so great.....beacause I have a 3 wipe rule and then I'm gone and it's only ever happened when I run with a monk tank LOL so please give a poor little priest some help lol
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
It's not you it's the tank. Monk tanks if played improperly are like trying to heal a rogue tank, very bad day. If you don't see the monk putting up his own orange bubble guard, or getting shuffle on his buffs, prepare for the worst. Monks also have a fair amount of self healing, if he is just parking it in one spot after pulling and not moving to the sides to pick up his ox orbs, that would hurt too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You should be able to keep a tank up by using a shield + penance off colldown and smiting as a filler in normal or heroic dungeons. Sometimes you will have to throw him or her few greater or flash heals, but that’s more for emergency situations. Monks usually take more damage though, especially on lower levels where they aren’t very different from a dps tanking. Keep in mind that scaling is all over the place while leveling, a paladin on a certain level might be taking no damage, where a monk will be getting annihilated.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
ty I just thought maybe you need to heal class different somehow because their so different from other tanks...but they all so far I've seen think their elite an run chain pullin see the roll get outta my los or if in los sooo hard to keep up....guess I've just been unlucky getting the monks that think all they need to do is lay down aggro...I have several tanks an after I get aggro I lay on the damage reduction I'll just keep trying an pray for the best lol tyvm
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Well like I said so far it's just been an issue with monks.....I pop shield on tank pre pull an renew cuz it crits an that gives an extra shield any issues with to much goin on Ill hit inner focer an prayer to heal crit bubble whole group an shell shock an give it all i can idk what else to do except hope for the best thx guys
Edited by Shadowmyth on 8/21/2013 8:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
A monk tank that is playing poorly is a mana sponge. That said, they don't actually get all of their tools until the upper 70s. so it may not be 100% their play. Another thing I've found is that the Wrath 5 mans are actually pretty rough for a group of 68/69s to get through even though they can start queing for them. Far better IMO to stick to the Outland dungeons until you hit 70 if you want to level via dungeon chaining.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Well, the most probable issue is that your Monk tank is breathing Fire instead of using Blackout Kick.

Blackout Kick is a Brewmaster's primary active mitigation tool and if they aren't using it, it is, as Tersia said, like trying to heal a Rogue tanking.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Indeed, Monk tanks are the only lower level tanks 1 - 75/80 that I ever had difficulty healing. That being said I never let them die too often because I just made up for their lack of skill with mine.

Normally as a healer you can heal more than necessary for lower level dungeons, so just try to heal them a lot, pre-emptive healing on a monk normally works. Your power word: shield, keep renew up, and ensure you're ready to cast that one instant heal you have (for holy, I've never played disc so...).

But a monk played improperly will suck to heal. The main thing they need to do: always keep guard up, normally the instant they start a pull (and they need to make sure they use tiger palm to improve guard by 15%). After that they should be using blackout kick to improve stagger rates and increase their parry. And further they should attempt to use their own healing spells to help accompany yours (such as zen sphere, and expel harm).

If you're ever having problems simply try to tell them. Offer some tips, watch their buffs to see if they're using their own spells properly. If they're still being a jerk and just not listening to you then leave, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
A monk tank that is playing poorly is a mana sponge. That said, they don't actually get all of their tools until the upper 70s. so it may not be 100% their play. Another thing I've found is that the Wrath 5 mans are actually pretty rough for a group of 68/69s to get through even though they can start queing for them. Far better IMO to stick to the Outland dungeons until you hit 70 if you want to level via dungeon chaining.

They get Blackout Kick in their late thirties, iirc. And just having that is enough to keep them from being a mana sponge. If the tank isn't using Blackout Kick and Guard, it's a play issue, plain and simple.

They also get Fortifying Brew very early, as well.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
You can tank instances all the way to 90 on a monk without needing a healer. Players without heirlooms will probably need heals occasionally.

A lot of people talk about monks being a tank that takes a lot of skill to play, which I don't quite think is accurate. It's more like the punishment for being terrible is higher than other tanks, but playing a monk at a reasonable level of competency isn't too difficult. If you don't know how to make good timers / auras for stuff it might suck - but I guess that's true for most specs.
Edited by Amabella on 8/21/2013 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
A monk tank will go squish before 26. When they get Guard, they become a lot easier to heal if they use that. This becomes even better when we get Teachings of the Monastery at 34, because we get Shuffle with Blackout kick.

Unfortunately, Blizzard decided it was a great idea to give Brewmasters Breath of Squish at a low level, so most brewmasters will be spamming that instead what they should be spamming. Please do your part to spread the word about how bad of an ability Breath of Fire is.
Edited by Fistlobster on 8/21/2013 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Yeah, Monk Tanks who don't understand quite how the class works can be troublesome, to say the least.

Purfiying Brew doesn't come until around 75, but keeping Stagger up helps smooth out the damage. Guard should be used regularly, Fortifying Brew if they're about to die. They also have Gift of the Ox (which comes around 60's or 70's?) and can use Expel Harm without a CD if they're low on health, so self-healing should be a prevalent thing for them as well. Just those tips should help get you through for the most part (if you happen to come across a bad one). Raid Tanks are a bit more complicated.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Guard comes early, but teaching lowbie BrM to use it is hard. Shuffle at 34 and Gift of the Ox at 56 helps out more. Unfortunately, people are so used to spamming Breath of Fire that they don't keep their mitigation up.
Reply Quote
Monks are great tanks when played well and craptastic when played poorly as they have probably one of the most active mitigation playstyles.

Guard comes at early levels and is usually enough to keep them alive by themselves as a single Guard will absorb more than their full HP sometimes. Once they get Blackout Kick and Teachings of the Monastery they have to spend their chi on keeping Shuffle up all the time instead of spending it on Breath of Fail. Expel Harm wont do much at low levels because it doesn't heal for much without high vengeance, which is rare to build up high at low levels; Gift of the Ox orbs, however, will heal for a damn ton of your health before Cata at least.
Reply Quote
71 Troll Druid
It might be the tank. BRM probably needs to be keepin shuffle up. Maybe purge the staggered damage once in awhile, or something like that. Maybe use guard and BoK a bit instead of Fire Breath thing.

I mean I main a monk, you'd think I'd know.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
All joking aside it's probably not you. BRM has different "styles" so to speak. If I know the healer (or the instance is a joke) I can cut loose and do decent DPS, mostly using harder hiting attacks and maybe letting shuffle slide here and there.

In normal PUG group play however, I play extremely defensivly, BoKs galore, guard every proc, and clearing stagger every couple of seconds. It's a really fun tank, I'd recommend you try it!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]