What to do in a situation like this?

64 Worgen Druid
So basically I notice two things that bug me and im not sure what to do about them in a dungeon. The first are dps that keep pulling I know as a healer I have to keep everyone alive but it takes my focus off the tank and I kinda wanna just let them die. Also when a mage or hunter have there pet somehow get aggro on a bunch of things but say nothing and the second I heal the mage/hunter about 15 things come out of no where and kill me how do I deal with this?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
08/21/2013 08:42 AMPosted by Leafbiter
kinda wanna just let them die.

That's how you know you're a healer -- when you understand that you can let people die.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
As a druid without an aggro dump, there isn't much you can do, personally. What I recommend is that if you see DPS misbehaving, whisper the tank to let them know that you are keeping focus on him/her and to see if they want to do anything about it. If the tank is feeling spunky, they may go pick up all the adds. If they are feeling cranky, just let the DPS die. Regarding the "15 things" coming out of nowhere, it is a good idea to try to stay as near the tank as possible as much as possible, and hope they use an AoE attack that will pull any loose mobs off you. Unfortunately, that really is your best bet, most of the time.
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Druid
That's how you know you're a healer -- when you understand that you can let people die.

But isn't it my job to keep everyone alive? I know my main focus is the tank but sometimes dps just do stupid stuff that causes them to take unnecessary amounts of damage.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
08/21/2013 09:14 AMPosted by Leafbiter

But isn't it my job to keep everyone alive? I know my main focus is the tank but sometimes dps just do stupid stuff that causes them to take unnecessary amounts of damage.

More accurately your job is to keep the group alive not necessarily every individual.

If a member of that group is acting in a way that endangers everyone sometimes the only option is to cut off a limb to save the patient if I can badly mix a few metaphors here.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

It certainly is, and under most circumstances you should do your very best to make sure no one in the group dies. However, if one person is standing in fire for a period of multiple seconds, just let them die. If they can't be bothered to help themselves, they shouldn't expect help from you.

Aggro however is a different beast. If a DPS is simply pulling aggro because the tank isn't holding AOE threat, or is just doing too much damage, I'm cool with that and I'll heal them up. If a DPS pulls extra packs it's really a judgement call. It's technically making the run go faster, so as long as you can keep everyone alive you might as well, but if it's a pull that's going to result in at least one death, I'd let the person that pulled die.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

Technically, your job is to prevent a wipe, whatever that may take. As noted, sometimes it means saving your mana/CDs for a real emergency, rather than using them up on a DPS who is being oblivious. You may have heard the phrase: "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault. If a DPS dies, it's their own fault." :)
Reply Quote
19 Human Priest
As long as you never wipe you've done you're job .

Sounds kind of odd out of context.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

No. Your job is to keep yourself alive, the tank alive, and sprinkle some HoTs around if possible to keep the DPS alive. But if they're face tanking all the things, you have no obligation to save them.

In a raid it's a bit different, because even when everyone is doing the right thing, they may take intense damage. In that situation, yes, it's your job to keep them alive. But again, that's a raid, not a 5 man.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Wait, I am supposed to keep people alive in a raid?

I have been using lifegrip all wrong...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Don't keep the dps that pull that kind of stuff topped off, leave their health less than half. Stay close to the tank.
On the plus side low level dungeons are not all that tough, as long as you can keep the tank up you're good. Then just rez the dead, or let them run back.

Of course what you do is completely up to you and what you can live with. The comments I scanned through are all good answers.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
08/21/2013 08:42 AMPosted by Leafbiter
I know as a healer I have to keep everyone alive

Who told you that? They are a liar pants.

If you can keep everyone alive and make friends, great :) But, if you cause a wipe attempting to save stupid, you messed up.

Also when a mage or hunter have there pet somehow get aggro on a bunch of things but say nothing and the second I heal the mage/hunter about 15 things come out of no where and kill me how do I deal with this?

It is usually ok to live on top of the tank. Watch out for cleaves etc, but mostly you can just sit on him.

If something is eating your face, jump on the tank's head
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
I actually don't mind if DPS pull if the tank is going way too slow. Hell, I pull if the tank is going too slow.

And if pets have growl on, I just let them die.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

To be honest... I will heal DPS through things like that once or twice. After that, I figure if someone is trying that hard to die, me interfering would just be mean. So I let them die. They usually sort it out. If I'm feeling particularly charitable, I'll warn them that I plan to stop healing if they continue the bad behavior.
Edited by Zoevil on 8/21/2013 11:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It really depends on what you're dealing with. I've found in several cases that just letting the offending player die only causes them to double back with more idiotic behavior, like purposely trying to wipe the group by pulling ridiculous amounts of mobs or bosses. I usually just try to vote kick if he's really a problem and the rest of the group is okay with it, but oftentimes I'll just leave and re-queue later. I'd rather do that than fight with someone.

I run with a tank all the time who typically likes to clear Heroics quickly, but if a dps is making a nuisance of himself to the point where it becomes a problem, he will sit his character down and wait for the player to either be vote kicked or to drop the group because we continue to let him die.

I usually don't stop healing unless healing the offender will cause me to run out of mana, or until I've given some kind of warning so I can be sure that the player knows that they're causing trouble. Sometimes you even see level 90 players who have no idea how to behave in dungeons. By that time there are very few excuses, but you'd be surprised at the amount of children I've met whose parents helped them level or allow them to play their characters.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
So basically I notice two things that bug me and im not sure what to do about them in a dungeon. The first are dps that keep pulling I know as a healer I have to keep everyone alive but it takes my focus off the tank and I kinda wanna just let them die. Also when a mage or hunter have there pet somehow get aggro on a bunch of things but say nothing and the second I heal the mage/hunter about 15 things come out of no where and kill me how do I deal with this?

1 Never Heal pets. Ever. Even going so far to avoid using Wild Growth usage if the pet owner is consistently stupid in merking up threat.
2 Never heal pets
3 Always let stupid die. Stupid is as stupid does.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

More accurately your job is to keep the group alive not necessarily every individual.

This is exactly right. DPS seem to think of dungeons as a competition (I am guilty of this too), and we all need to remember that just about 90% of WoW is a team effort. If a member of the group isn't a team player, I usually vote to kick giving a reason like "pulling aggro" or "pet taunt on". It is all good to try to send them a whisper to try to help out, but in my experience, it usually only makes it worse. If the vote fails, you have the option to leave the group and find another one. I usually don't let them die because then I am not being a team player. Group members are trusting the healer to keep them up, so letting them die might get you k I will put them at the bottom of my priority for healing, and only heal them when it doesn't endanger another teammate.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
1. the start of a expansion if a dps pulls before the tank i let the dps die for doing that

2. right now if a dps pulls before a slow tank i will heal the dps hell i will pull stuff and heal myself

3. AKA having gear makes me lazy as hell
Edited by Nillie on 8/21/2013 1:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
1 Never Heal pets. Ever

From time to time I come across that random hunter that actually knows how to put growl on when a tank goes down. That pet does not die.

pssst, Mr. Monk, you need to do more than breathe fire and throw barrels. See how this wolf thing is not dead yet, lets start by putting the bar there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]