What to do in a situation like this?

100 Night Elf Priest
From time to time I come across that random hunter that actually knows how to put growl on when a tank goes down. That pet does not die.

This... pets can move up the healing priority list pretty quickly if they prevent me getting my pretty pretty princess face eaten.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I don't understand the aversion to healing pets. If the pet is being a useful member of the group, I'll heal it (if it's taking damage of course). If a pet is causing issues, I'll let it die. It's not a difficult heuristic.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
08/21/2013 01:53 PMPosted by Zoevil
From time to time I come across that random hunter that actually knows how to put growl on when a tank goes down. That pet does not die.

This... pets can move up the healing priority list pretty quickly if they prevent me getting my pretty pretty princess face eaten.

Not for me, I just pop bear form and tank. Which really...that's all I do in 5mans anyhow. Resto Tank. Force of Nature doesnt pop me out of bearform and I hold threat.

= win.

So, no I still don't heal pets:P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
i dont heal pets so yup
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
08/21/2013 04:22 PMPosted by Tonydanza

Not for me, I just pop bear form and tank. Which really...that's all I do in 5mans anyhow. Resto Tank. Force of Nature doesnt pop me out of bearform and I hold threat.

= win.

So, no I still don't heal pets:P

well... I can't pretend to tank and again... Pretty Pretty Princess Face

rofl
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
More accurately your job is to keep the group alive not necessarily every individual.

If a member of that group is acting in a way that endangers everyone sometimes the only option is to cut off a limb to save the patient if I can badly mix a few metaphors here.

Naw, Kipery - this is the *perfect* metaphor.

OP - one of the most important skills healers learn as they get better is how to identify when it's necessary to let someone die in order to prevent a wipe.

Order of healing priority:

#1... ***ME*** If I die, no one else gets healed.

If I'm having to heal myself because I'm doing something that is getting me killed, then I need to attend to that first (ie... stop doing whatever it is that's causing me to take potentially lethal damage).

If I'm having to heal myself because something is trying to kill me, then I need to take whatever steps are necessary to prevent dying.

- Heal myself, pop defensive cooldowns (Barkskin, for you)
- Run to the tank and stand *ontop* of him
- Use any CC and/or interrupt abilities I have that may help the situation (Hibernate, Entangling Roots for you!) ... not all healers have good CC/interrupts, or whatever's killing you might not be affected by them, but try to remember to reach for them when things are going badly!

#2... The tank (or the pet, if the tank has died and the pet is now tanking)

#3... Smart dps'ers.

#4... Not smart dps'ers

#5... Pets (though if I have time to heal pets, I prefer to throw some dps out instead).

Sometimes, you just can't keep a tank alive. Maybe it was a terrible pull and the tank got overwhelmed; maybe it's a bad tank who doesn't know how to use his damage mitigation abilities. When that happens, if there's not a hunter who's had the presence of mind to turn Growl onto their pet, pick a dps'er and make them your temporary tank. Plate-wearer is best, but I've kept rogue tanks and mage tanks alive through bad pulls too. Pump your big single-target heals into them (they'll need them). If you have any cooldowns for them that will help them take less damage for a few seconds, use those, too.

When you get Rebirth, try not to forget to use it! I know I forget my druid's Rebirth a lot - I don't tend to play her much, and she's never made it to max level, so I'm just... not on-the-ball enough, as a druid healer, when I run a 5man ;)

It's *amazing*, the kind of pulls you can salvage from a wipe! Never give up in a bad situation. Just keep trying. And then just keep trying the next bad pull. And the next one. You'll be amazed when it all starts to click for you.
Reply Quote
I like "never give up."

One of the mosr satisfying events in wow as a healer is when people are saying "quit healing, it is a wipe" and you save it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
You necro'd a thread from August to let us know this? :-\
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
He's never gonna give (you) up.

Never gonna let you down.

Never gonna run around.

Just kite to you.
Edited by Amabella on 2/22/2014 7:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
02/22/2014 07:40 PMPosted by Amabella
He's never gonna give (you) up.

Never gonna let you down.

Never gonna run around.

Just kite to you.

Ama.

I can't decide if I hate you, or want to marry you. This is really tough.

Damn your eyes.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
If the DPS accidentally did something I have no issue healing them. That dread mis-tab... we've all been there. I'll even still heal those that are pulling mobs but are geared enough to do so and aren't causing healing to become difficult. But if someone has become problematic to heal due to their own incessant stupidity, I'm not going to prioritize them any longer.

As for pets, I don't heal those. They honestly shouldn't ever need a heal and any damage they take is usually dealt with through aoe heals. If they have growl on, they should be reminded of it because they might have just not noticed because they had been questing waiting for their queue to pop. If they don't turn it off after being asked, well, the sooner it dies the sooner the tank can have their aggro back.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think we can love Ama. anyone who does something like that is ok in my book
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]