How to move and heal in battlegrounds

90 Night Elf Warrior
Hey guys, im planning on making a healer for pvp and a bit of pve.. Im probably going to give Druid a try first and see if I enjoy the play style. The main concern I have is how to move around well throwing hots on people at the same time. Is it best to move with the mouse or is it better to move with keybinds and use the mouse only for targeting. Also I'm not opposed to using addons if they'll make my life easier. Any suggestions are appreciated
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
I use both my mouse and keys to move. Play with it until you can run with the efficiency of your mouse while selecting targets and casting all your instant casts without stopping.

I use a combination of mouse over macros and VuhDo to cast.

I am no PvP master, but I do typically beat players that need to stop to cast instants, who can't hump a column and cast, and those who can't figure out how to cast a CC without stopping everything.

I don't know how to place things like feathers on the move without switching to the keyboard for a second. At the same time if you can't spin in place as a warrior tries to get behind you and cast you are not going to give him much trouble, that takes a mouse.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Hey guys, im planning on making a healer for pvp and a bit of pve.. Im probably going to give Druid a try first and see if I enjoy the play style. The main concern I have is how to move around well throwing hots on people at the same time. Is it best to move with the mouse or is it better to move with keybinds and use the mouse only for targeting. Also I'm not opposed to using addons if they'll make my life easier. Any suggestions are appreciated

i end up doing both. unbind your asd tho.
Reply Quote
67 Undead Monk
08/22/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Eelz
Is it best to move with the mouse or is it better to move with keybinds and use the mouse only for targeting.

Yes, you want to be able to do both. Run with your keys, select with your mouse...run with your mouse, hit some hot keys.

I took this to an extreme, and bound both strafe left and strafe right to buttons on my mouse, while keeping those on the keyboard as well. This way I can move very well with just my mouse and use my left hand for nothing but hot keys. OR I can move very well with just the keyboard and use the mouse for targeting.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
K, thanks for the replies guys, that makes a lot of sense to be able to do both
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
What type of PvP?

Arena's, you're probably going to want to create macro's that target you and/or you teammates and casts the heal. This leaves you free to always be moving via mouse. I never played 5's so I'm honestly not sure if they do the macro's or not... seems like it would be too many macro's

For BG's, macro's are not feasible at all. Your best option is some type of mouseover macros or a click to cast healing add on of some type (healbot, vuhdo, grid+clique). Being able to move until you have to stop is key. Moving targets are harder to melee. =) Even if you're keyboard moving at times....

For PVE, I use vuhdo and mouse move or key board move if I'm casting on the move.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
In bgs you're going to have to figure out how to use your mouse not only to turn but also to target, (or mouseover if you swing that way.)

A good way to get into this is to turn up your turning sensitivity significantly if it is not very high, and then get in the habit of performing turns as quickly as possible so you can have more mouse-time to target people. Once you're headed in a direction you want to be going, you can switch targets while you run, all you have to do is be able to hit all your spells while you hold down your run key/strafe keys, which is easier than alot of people may think once you get used to it.

But if you're not used to it here's how:

Find a large tree/building/pillar. Run around it, and at the same time heal yourself with your regular rotation. If you need to leave your movement key but want to maintain momentum, jump right before so you hit that global in the air, and then you're running again by the time you land.(This is why you see people jumping around in pvp so much.) Try to take the corners as tight as you can without running into the wall/tree/pillar, and try to run a "full rotation" ie: no space in between globals. (Obviously you will just be using instant cast spells, but as druids we have enough of those to keep it interesting.)

When this becomes easy, switch to your strafe right and strafe left keys. Hold down one or the other and run sideways around the pillar now while you run your rotation on yourself as before. Now you have the added skill of being able to watch whoever is on the other side of that pillar while you hump it.

When that becomes easy, start switching direction. Strafe one way until you reach halfway around the pillar. when you get there, (without stopping your rotation,) hop to the other strafe key. Usually when I do this I also jump... I don't know if there's any point to that but whatever.

So anyway, once that becomes easy, start throwing in your defensive cooldowns. Everytime you switch direction, use a major cd: barkskin, tree form, (you need to practice spamming instant regrowths in tree as well while you hop around, this is whole point of playing a druid...) might of ursoc, Nature's Grasp, Ironbark....

Once this becomes easy, try adding some of these tricks to your arsenal:

1. When you get to the edge of the pillar, displacer beast away, (to another pillar?)

2. Randomly jump, do a 180, typhoon annoying warriors away from you, and then turn back around and keep going.

3. Do what you were doing before but make every second or third global travel form. you need to be fast on this button for shifting polymorph/hex/repentance. Ensure that you are always keeping Lifebloom up, swiftmend on cooldown, wild growth on cooldown, and your dispel on cooldown. All of the spare time not doing this be in travel form.

4. Symbiosis a shaman and practice run-casting. Yell: "Look mom I'm a shammy!" Learn how to spiritwalk+tranq.

Once you get all of these things under your fingers, you'll be very hard to kill for most players, and you'll find it easy to top healing meters in random bgs. A note about kiting melee: running away in one direction is very predictable. What I like to do is run away in one direction when I have space, but then as soon as they start to connect go into travel form and go back the way you came, which forces them to turn around if they're not hot on their strafing skills like you are. You can accomplish this very easily just from the practice you did on switching strafe keys while you continue to heal. This way you can shake the melee off you without using your mouse very much at all, which means of course that you can instead be hotting your teammates, dispelling, cloning, and generally having a great time.

Cheers!
Edited by Anoru on 8/23/2013 10:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I worked my keybinds around what spells I could use while still moving (renew, penance, PoM, PS, barrier, etc), that I could handle pushing while moving, vs items I had to stop to use. I use W for movement and strafe on mouse buttons, so ASD are spells now.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
hahahah I remember when I freed up ASD for the first time I felt so awesome XD
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
K, thanks for all the help guys, I'll start practicing all those things that were mentioned and see if I can get the hang of it. Take care
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Nothing wrong with WASD.

D is my most important or most cast spell.

A is strafe left.

S is strafe right.

W is forward.

Using the keyboard with the mouse allows for much better camera control imo FPS style.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
I use keybinds and stuff, but then I move with the keyboard also generally and use the mouse for selecting players. I'm not a top level pvper, but I find I do well enough in random BGs and stuff. Healers are different from dps. DPSers need to use their mouse for their movement so they can move around fast to avoid stuff, stay on people, etc. Healers are usually running away from other people, so it probably doesn't matter in which direction. :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]