Looking for help with a guildie preist

90 Worgen Warrior
We had a raider come back from an extended break and just happened to have a open healing slot so we look him. However he seems to be struggling. Could someone look over our logs and see if we can't remind him how to play? These are our logs from heroic Tortos, including a kill.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-fbdbol2usysye85t/dashboard/?enc=bosses&boss=67977

I will say that he is a little undergeared compared to the other two healers (no meta or cloak and only 525)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
from a quick glance he/she is using renew way to much 4th highest healing spell for a disc? renew is basicly just a filler spell to be used almost never besides prepull and in the event every1 is pw:s allrdy and ure moving with pennance and pom on cd lol, other than that his spirit shell absorbs were extremely low, suggesting he wasnt timing his spirit shells before the quakes correctly. other than the renew factor the other is just a practice thing the more they practice the fights the better they will time there cd's, but renew is a complete waste of a gcd 99% of the time is 1 thing i would bring up.
Reply Quote
We had a raider come back from an extended break and just happened to have a open healing slot so we look him. However he seems to be struggling. Could someone look over our logs and see if we can't remind him how to play? These are our logs from heroic Tortos, including a kill.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-fbdbol2usysye85t/dashboard/?enc=bosses&boss=67977

I will say that he is a little undergeared compared to the other two healers (no meta or cloak and only 525)

I haven't yet done Heroic Tortos yet, so I looked at Megeara and some things to note:

1. Very very little Atonement. Since you are 3 healing, s/he should probably have quite a high usage of Atonement as there would be very little to heal.

2. Total of 15 shields cast during the whole fight, 8 of which were on him/herself, 3 on one tank, and 1 on the other tank.

3. Extreme usage of PoH with 50+% overhealing. PoH was our "go to" in patches past because of it automatically stacking DA. However, that has since been removed.

4. Could have gotten a bit better usage out of Spirit Shell, but with 3 healers maybe s/he wasn't using it as well as it could be on purpose.
Edited by Morenn on 8/24/2013 9:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
First of all, he is missing enchants on gear that he has had for a long time, has no professions at all and has a lot of catching up to do on his legendary chain. Jade Spirit is better than windsong wep enchant, and cerulean is better for disc than pearlescent leg enchant.

He is also wasting stats by gemming into and reforging out of same stats. What he could do is replace all his gems with int/mastery, spirit/mastery and mastery to bring a better balance to his stats. Then remove all his reforges, and just reforge out of haste and maybe some spirit into more mastery. This should increase his raid buffed crit and mastery by somewhere around 4% each, but he could still have almost 36k spellpower and over 10k spirit. There may be a more optimal setup, this is just a quick opinion.

Direct him to the following guide for more current info on his spec:
howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1837

Here's what I'm doing for this fight specifically. During most of the fight, I just tank/spot heal, stay on top of regen, and try to keep up stacks of evangelism. I use a SW:P macro to keep my own crystal shell up, and I monitor the shell buffs for everyone by adding custom buffs in vuhdo (not set by default).

15 seconds before a stomp, I pop arch+IF+PI, then cap SS on both groups and PW:S anyone without a full shield. If SS is on CD or if movement prevents me from channeling it before a stomp, I will switch to inner will (for mana conservation), blanket the raid with PW:S, and switch back to inner fire. I have all the other timers turned off, because focus on the quake stomp timer is critical.

Right after quake stomp I will pop Halo to help with DPSing bats and getting a head start on refilling crystal shells. I haven't been using it before quake stomps, because usually our druid has no problem getting crystal shells topped off with rejuvs. My job as a disc is to just try and keep them from falling off.

So far my group hasn't successfully downed this fight on heroic because of issues with bats, but we are getting close, and are hoping to down it next week. We are 2 healing it instead of 3 healing though. Disc priests are not just about spamming a rotation of spells now. It is all about anticipating damage, well timed absorbs, and making the most of your toolkit.
Edited by Lifegutter on 8/24/2013 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
The biggest things I see (and others mentioned the first 2) are:

1. Fewer PW:S casts than he should have. I raid normals but on that same fight, and with same duration, I had 101 PW:Ss, he had 56. His mana should allow him to use it more. Surely there's enough damage going around to make both the shield and the speed boost worth it. If he "doesn't have the mana" for it, then he should start using Solace and combining Shadowfiend with Hymn of Hope.
2. This is a big one: Extremely poor Penance use. Penance is by far our strongest ability, and should be used on CD, for 6 uses and 18 ticks every minute, for around 144 ticks in an 8 minute fight. He had a total of 60 ticks, half of what it should have been. I'm closer to 122 (losing a few during periods of Spirit Shell stacking).
3. Not a single Archangel, this is a very significant throughput loss. And looking at Megeara he only used it once, which is also pretty bad. Archangel provides 25% increased healing and can easily have at least 40% uptime, not using it is a big no-no. It should at the very least be coupled with every Spirit Shell phase, and typically used once more inbetween phases.
4. This is a fight where he should be getting more out of PoM. Reasons why he isn't could be: a) he's not casting it often enough, b) He's not casting it on the right target, with the result that it has nowhere to jump and vanishes after 1 jump, c) He's not casting it at the right times, and it just sits there waiting for the person to take damage.
5. Not timing Cascade very well. In this fight, the best time to cast Cascade is the moment before the stomp will stun you. Cascade takes a few seconds to do its effect, so people will have taken the stomp damage and perhaps some rockfall damage and not having gotten back to full yet. 80% of his Cascade was overhealing, which is just too much. He also should be having almost double the usage from Cascade, I had 157 ticks compared to his 85.
6. As others mentioned, he would do well to dare I say remove Renew from his keybinds. He should be using PW:S almost every single time that he thinks Renew is the thing to do.

Glyph of Penance is an absolute must, Glyph of PoM not so much.
Glyph of Fade is better than Glyph of Inner Sanctum I think. If for no other reason because it reduces all damage.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I use fade, inner sanctum and penance glyphs all three on this fight. Although Adinne's suggestion is on the mark for reg difficulty, in the heroic version of this fight there are problems with offensive penance, smite healing and PoM which will change your spell use up a lot.

The main reason for this is that players are shielded with a crystal shell buff for at least 75% of the fight. While that buff is active, PoM does not bounce, so it is all but useless.

Atonement also suffers because it still tries to heal the lowest health player but does not take into account the crystal shell buff. Their health does not increase while they have their shell up, it just works kind of like spirit shell and applies more absorb, so this messes up targeting.

Say for example, 9 of the 10 people in your raid pick up the shell at 80% health, but one of the DPS picks it up at 50%. As you atonement heal, all of the heals will be going to that one DPS even after his absorb is at cap, which will then only result in overheal. DA still works the same, but unless you just get lucky and the tank has the lowest health before everyone gets shields, I don't think you will get much out of atonement. Because of this, I think limiting use just of smite to just evangelism stacking and saving penance for defensive use/grace stacking is a good idea in heroic difficulty.

Raid healers like druids, will just pull big HPS numbers on this fight because all that overheal they normally have gets used and the shield mechanic doesn't throw things off for them like it does for us. If you already have a raid healer in this fight, I think it is more effective to just assume the role of quake stomp shielder and emergency healer. With my burst heals in this fight, I'm doing more HPS output than my druid co-healer, but my activity is lower so his effective hps is a little higher than mine. It is just kind of a weird fight for heals I suppose, and probably a very bad example for how a disc priest should be healing.
Edited by Lifegutter on 8/24/2013 6:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Wow thanks for all the help guys hopefully this helps him.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]