Healing Without Addons

90 Dwarf Monk
I'm not a hardcore healer, but I do what I do without many addons. The few addons I use I wouldn't really consider drastically important, more like quality of life things. I basically just use tell me when so I can put icons on my screen showing me the cooldowns and durations of important spells and buffs. I also have dbm, and then a small addon for showing my chi, but all of these I could easily live without.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've managed to heal my way through several expansions without any healing addons. Default raid frames, mouseover macros, and a general knowledge of fight mechanics has been enough for me.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I heal exclusively with raid frames. Only addon i use is decursive.

Now, granted, I exclusively heal 10 mans, where there aren't as many targets. But I've healed my entire career (since Wrath) using only raid frames, even when I was in a 25 man in Wrath.

Oh, also, I don't use mouseovers. Click and cast all the way, baby.

You must do 5k HPS on any fight you have to move an inch.

I'm not even joking.

Instant casting without targeting is a must for any druid imo. Otherwise you're doing it wrong or just horribly gimping yourself.

I'm not trying to promote the use of anything here, just simple math;

.5sec GCD on rejuv
10-25 targets.

Goodluck clicking. by the time you finish, Ive already blanketed the raid once, used shrooms, replaced them, then blanketed the raid again and gone for a smoke. All can be done seamlessly on the move with ease. Cannot do any of this with click casting unless you're being horrrribly carried.
Edited by Tonydanza on 8/28/2013 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I only use mouseovers with clique for some mouse keybinds now. Also I use power auras to track my cooldowns. I realize that the power auras guy stopped updating it and I should probably go to weak auras but I don't want to learn a new system.

No raid frame addons (not since Cata pre-patch when they introduced the new raid frames which we presently have).

0 problems.

SO I guess I do use addons (clique) but I make my own stuff through macros if needed.

Certainly nothing is required, but you have to figure out what works for you. There is no easy answer. Try things. See how they go. And if you don't like em' dont use em'
Reply Quote
.5sec GCD on rejuv
10-25 targets.

Goodluck clicking. by the time you finish, Ive already blanketed the raid once, used shrooms, replaced them, then blanketed the raid again and gone for a smoke. All can be done seamlessly on the move with ease. Cannot do any of this with click casting unless you're being horrrribly carried.

Rejuve is on a 1s gcd.

I'm sorry we don't all have as bad coordination as you, tony.

It's certainly easier with mouseovers, but not impossible without.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
.5sec GCD on rejuv

Rejuv is a 1s GCD.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
.5 Obviously came from the passive spell. Meant to say with reduced gcd =/

Whateves
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Kind of depends on what you mean by add-on.

I run DBM, tidy plates, bartender, and atlasloot. But, not really sure I would count atlasloot in the "helps raiding" add-on category.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
No matter how fast anyone ever thinks they are... just remember....

The South Koreans are faster.... MUCH FASTER:

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/snipealot2

... and they listen to such lame music but hey whatever floats their boats... they're amazing.
Edited by Gamex on 8/28/2013 11:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I heal wonderfully without "healing addons" I how ever do have DBM, Recount and Bartender running. I use mouse over macros, if its just a 5 man I set the tank as my focus so I can remember who in the group is almost as important as yours truly.. :-D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I heal wonderfully without "healing addons" I how ever do have DBM, Recount and Bartender running. I use mouse over macros, if its just a 5 man I set the tank as my focus so I can remember who in the group is almost as important as yours truly.. :-D

I don't think that anyone is arguing whether or not that works in a 5 man, or even in LFR. But for the majority of players, that is not going to be the most ideal set up in an actual raid. Addon-haters like Gamex aside (:-P), your performance will nearly always improve once you swap to Mouseover Macros + a good raid frame, or something like Clique or VuhDo.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
08/28/2013 05:04 PMPosted by Tonydanza
Goodluck clicking.

Uhh, clicking doesn't take that long...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I use DBM.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have tried all available addons and methods for healing, and the only one I feel comfortable with is using the default raid frames with mouseover macros. So yeah, healing with no addons (except DBM and WeakAuras which I really love).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I've gone without addons, both on the Beta/PTR (when you couldn't use addons or they wouldn't work), and in other games. It's doable, if not my preference.

I mostly use VuhDo because I can be as OCD as I want about buffs and debuffs. MUST. HAVE. CONTROL. >:|

Same here but wih Grid2 =P
Reply Quote
From someone who's been healing in a semi-serious raiding guild for the past 5 content tiers and typically gotten into mid-level heroics, there are 3 things you should know about addons (and setups in general) regardless of your class or role.

1 - Addons don't make you a better raider. They are only useful to the extent that you utilize them. On a simple level, having DBM yell "get out of the fire" only helps if you actually listen.

2 - Find something that works for you, not something that works for someone else. It doesn't matter if you're getting the suggestion from someone in Blood Legion or someone who only heals 5-mans, what works for them may not work for you. Try it out, but don't force yourself into a specific UI or addon because someone else says it's "the best".

3 - When changing your setup, work your way into it. I've made the mistake before of trying a whole new UI, only to find that it's so different from my old setup I decide in the first few days that it's not right for me. Work up to it in small steps. If you're moving from clicking to keybinding, just do a few abilities at a time. Do that for a few days until your comfortable, then do a few more.

For reference, I use DBM as my only raiding addon. Others are purely aesthetic and don't matter for performance. I use the blizzard raid frames, keybinds and a couple macros to do what I need. With my setup, I've never felt there was a time when my performance was hindered by not having an addon taking care of something for me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
i use healbot with just left and right click and more like a raid frame (i use it for all classes and specs so it is my raidframe ... For instance, to cast intervene on a Warrior).

And macros ... lots of them. Mostly one for each spell casting @mouseover, focus or target.

Other than that i ve customized my UI but nothing essential for healing.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
08/29/2013 07:13 PMPosted by Ipwnwitfeet
Goodluck clicking.

Uhh, clicking doesn't take that long...

No, but it's certainly not faster to click your target then click your spell than it is to shift+click your target and cast the spell at the same time.

I don't have to bring my cursor out of my raid frames to do most of the important things I need to do. I'm not saying it makes someone better than anyone else, but it's certainly smoother and faster.
Reply Quote
No, but it's certainly not faster to click your target then click your spell than it is to shift+click your target and cast the spell at the same time.

I realize you're not saying using the mouseover s+lmb is faster, but I thought you chose a particularly interesting example.

In scenario A: user left clicks the frame and presses a key (lets say '2'). The click must happen first.

In scenario B: user presses shift and left clicks the frame. The shift key must be pressed first (or it registers as a left click).

In both scenarios there are two actions that must happen with some time dependency. Assuming a mouse click and key press take the same time (usually not the case) we could say there is no mechanical difference. There is a large difference in perception and familiarity among WoW healers though. (addendum: there is a difference in some cases since you can press a modifier while moving the mouse to the frame whereas you cannot click the frame until the mouse is over it.)

I'm a fan of scenario C: user presses a key over mouse frame. There is only one action and no dependency on a modifier or target switch.
Edited by Evry on 9/3/2013 1:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
.5sec GCD on rejuv
10-25 targets.

Rejuve is on a 1s gcd.

I'm sorry we don't all have as bad coordination as you, tony.

It's certainly easier with mouseovers, but not impossible without.

Evry, do you use mouseover macros?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]