[Ret-PvE] The Light and How to Swing It

90 Dwarf Paladin
09/03/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Rautha
I feel like HA is underused just because a lot of guides say SW is better when i don't necessarily think it is.

The three really aren't that different in terms of vacuum output - roughly a 3~5k DPS difference from "best" to "worst" in gear without set bonuses. I do like HA in that it has greater spike potential, which certainly has its uses in progression/gimmick fights - and I have used it in such situations before. In the end, it mostly comes down to what you find most fun and comfortable - there are people that have been using DPS the entire expansion, adn that's perfectly okay!

are you Matt Walsh?

...Who?

Why would someone report this thread?

Possibly to get it stickied? That's what we had to do to get the last one pinned up there, was actually report it to request it be stuck. Of late, I've been trying to report the old one to get it unstickied since it's out of date and unlikely to be corrected as Svayne's been gone for so long.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
also i was wondering about challenge mode gear. i was thinking i could use T15 for boss fights because of the single target dps increase and use T16 for trash. maybe that would be too much switching but i could probably make an armor set macro.

but i digress. my question is: since they scale down your gear (keeping hit and exp the same %) is it better to gem for strength for the gear your using for challenge modes? I'm assuming stat priorities in challenge modes are the same as if you were actually at 463 ilvl but i wasn't sure.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

...Who?

http://wow.joystiq.com/category/the-light-and-how-to-swing-it/
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
As I understand it, tier set bonuses do not function in Challenge Modes, so probably best to use whatever gear has the most sockets. As to gemming, dunno; haste may be the better option in current/Siege gear due to the sheer amount of sockets available.

...Who?

http://wow.joystiq.com/category/the-light-and-how-to-swing-it/

Ah. No.
Edited by Grôgnárd on 9/3/2013 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
68 Draenei Paladin
In your enchants section, you don't list any enchants for weapons. Unless I missed something in your guide.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Added. Thanks for catching that; still kicking myself for forgetting enchants in the first place.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
In your enchants section, you don't list any enchants for weapons. Unless I missed something in your guide.

Weapon enchants are a crutch.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
buh teh gl0wz!!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Good guide.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Great guide. Hopefully it gets stickied.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/03/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Grôgnárd
I've been seeing discussion about gemming expertise hybrids in red sockets to maximize secondary stats for reforging.

Updated OP to reflect this in gemming section. My current gear with eight red sockets would net me 1280 exp using exp/haste gems and cost me 640 strength (1320 AP) by replacing str/haste gems. However, playing with it in AMR, I'd also gain about 2% mastery and something like 1% haste and a bit of crit - which, in ratings, is about 1200 mastery, 400 haste, 200~300 crit, or 1159 strength with current stat weights.

So the Wicked hybrids are looking really good; I'd go ahead and convert all my gems, but with SoO tomorrow (woot!), not gonna be worth the cost.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
also i was wondering about challenge mode gear. i was thinking i could use T15 for boss fights because of the single target dps increase and use T16 for trash. maybe that would be too much switching but i could probably make an armor set macro.

but i digress. my question is: since they scale down your gear (keeping hit and exp the same %) is it better to gem for strength for the gear your using for challenge modes? I'm assuming stat priorities in

Essentially on terms of tier 15 to tier 16, you have to take into account that your stat values from Tier 16 will generally out-weigh tier 15. The t15-4pc is very nice, I love it, and I will miss it, but being that SoO has a ton of AoE encounters, I'm going to enjoy putting out some raw AOE damage with those beefy DS procs.

now for challenge modes, keep gemming for STR/Haste and get your hit/exp cap. You want as much haste as possible.
Reply Quote
68 Draenei Paladin

So why are you even using one?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/10/2013 06:30 AMPosted by Dreslin

So why are you even using one?

He was being sarcastic.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/05/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Vaelryn

Shoes are a crutch. We need to take a page from the Tauren/Trolls/Worgen/Draenei and go shoeless. Nothing like stepping on the blood/organs of your last victim with your bare feet.
Reply Quote
68 Draenei Paladin
He was being sarcastic.

I know. I was actually hoping for an amusing response that I could say "Fair enough" to. :(
Edited by Dreslin on 9/10/2013 5:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Well, Blizz's database still hasn't updated with all the new items and stuff, but I am keeping an eye on things. Will edit guide once item links are available for 5.4 items.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This really should be stickied by now.
Edited by Vaelryn on 9/13/2013 6:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't worry, it'll be sticked by next expansion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]