Wrathion and the Legendary Cloak

90 Blood Elf Priest
Should this quest chain be Bind on Account? For example, Wrathion would offer an optional quest with the following dialogue:

Wrathion: Greetings, Champion! You look familiar. Have we met before?
Option A: Yes.
Option B: No.

Option A requires a payment of 10,000 gold to access the legendary quartermaster, and an additonal 10,000-20,000g to purchase the cloak on an alternate.

Option B opens up the normal chain of quests and procurement.

Furthermore, we could access all of the items from the current chain, as well as, any prior Legendary Weapons for a cost, i.e. Thunderfury, Glaives, Mace, et cetera. Would you support this?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Nope.

Though I would love to have the cape on my other 90s, that would make it less legendary for me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Nope.

Though I would love to have the cape on my other 90s, that would make it less legendary for me.

Why? If you did the quests on your main, why would you have an issue with this option?
Reply Quote
I support the OP's suggestion. The chain is already damned stupid.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
No, because I think we already have too many perks given to alts for what their main did.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
No, because I think we already have too many perks given to alts for what their main did.

Agreed. Not everything you do has to be available across all characters. You already get access to Ordos on all of your characters if just one of them has the cloak.
Edited by Calbador on 8/22/2013 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Nope.

Why? If you did the quests on your main, why would you have an issue with this option?

Because the nature of the quests differ for each class. Some parts of quest line were more difficult for warlocks, while others were more difficult for warriors; the reverse is also true.

You already get to purchase additional cloaks for your other specs, isn't that enough flexibility?
Edited by Kallandras on 8/22/2013 5:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
It absolutely should have been account bound, or mostly account bound (perhaps a nearly immediate completion of the RNG portions if your main has finished them, while having you still do the solo scenarios - which obviously present interesting role challenges).

For all the talk of dailies and reputations and general gearing, in the long run I think the legendary quest has been the most alt-unfriendly thing done in the expansion. I like the idea of a legendary that's expansion-long in timeframe, increases our power, and is not restricted to say one person being designated out of 25 within a raid group. The flipside of that, however, is that with something being generally available, it puts any alt behind the general curve of power of wider playerbase on their mains, with a massive RNG grind having to be done a second time to catch up.

The question of what "legendary" means is semantic nonsense. Is it rarity? Is it timeframe? Is it scope of activities? It is not hard at all to say that the Cape is legendary due to the timeline (expansion long) and scope of activities (PvE and PvP, solo scenarios, reputation grinding, and raiding). Obviously on the other side of the equation you already have it being less rare than prior legendary items. Overall I think this is an improvement on the old system. It would be better still if it were more account-oriented.
Edited by Torvald on 8/22/2013 5:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

This. Gotta earn it for everyone!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
It absolutely should have been account bound, or mostly account bound (perhaps a nearly immediate completion of the RNG portions if your main has finished them, while having you still do the solo scenarios - which obviously present interesting role challenges).

For all the talk of dailies and reputations and general gearing, in the long run I think the legendary quest has been the most alt-unfriendly thing done in the expansion. I like the idea of a legendary that's expansion-long in timeframe, increases our power, and is not restricted to say one person being designated out of 25 within a raid group. The flipside of that, however, is that with something being generally available, it puts any alt behind the general curve of power of wider playerbase on their mains, with a massive RNG grind having to be done a second time to catch up.

The question of what "legendary" means is semantic nonsense. Is it rarity? Is it timeframe? Is it scope of activities? It is not hard at all to say that the Cape is legendary due to the timeline (expansion long) and scope of activities (PvE and PvP, solo scenarios, reputation grinding, and raiding). Obviously on the other side of the equation you already have it being less rare than prior legendary items. Overall I think this is an improvement on the old system. It would be better still if it were more account-oriented.

Has any other legendary been alt-friendly?
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

Because the nature of the quests differ for each class. Some parts of quest line were more difficult for warlocks, while others were more difficult for warriors; the reverse is also true.

Heh so true. I'm doing it on both my priest and dk. My priest had a harder time with the pvp portion (i.e. "rougher time"), but utterly breezed through the Wrathion Thunder Forge scenario. My DK breezed through the pvp portion... but took three attempts to do the scenario.

A lot of that came down to the mechanics of the fight. I was unable to heal the guardian to full on my DK (or my dk), and my priest has more mobility than my DK. So even though my priest barely did much dps, it was still easier than on the dk.
Edited by Snowfox on 8/22/2013 6:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I did the cloak quest on this toon and I'm actually looking forward to the healing challenge on my shaman. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Do your alts need to be as geared as your main?

It only makes sense that you need to do the legendary questline to prove that your character deserves a legendary cloak.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

Has any other legendary been alt-friendly?

Has any other legendary been made open to all players to work on at the same time thereby increasing the general power level of mains and putting months-long barriers to alts catching up to the general raiding playerbase?

Trying to equate it to past legendaries based on alt-friendliness misses the key difference between the effects on the larger raiding playerbase. Not having a past legendary MIGHT have put you behind one person in your guild, maybe two, and usually in a noticeable way for only one tier. In any long-term raiding in this expansion, anyone who decides they want to play a different class will be significantly behind all the other mains in the raid (and by significantly, I mean months of RNG legendary drops apart from general gearing, which can actually go quite fast if a raiding group wants to gear up someone's alt relatively quickly).

There's pretty strong reasons to say it should be account bound (or, as I said in my first post, mostly account bound, i.e. very greatly sped up based on your furthest progressed character). I see no good reason to argue that a generally available, long-term upgrade (we can throw out semantic arguments of the term "legendary" as they're pointless) should not be more account-bound in its orientation.
Edited by Torvald on 8/22/2013 6:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
i like this however i would increase the gold cost to access the legendary cloak on an alt to 50,000g

This is mostly to keep it to those who play more than a little and have worked hard both for the cloak in the first place and spent enough time in game to earn the gold to be able to help gear an alt, also will prevent everyone getting the cloak on every alt straight off the bat
Reply Quote
It's a legendary. We're lucky to be getting them this easy already.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
That's why I only bothered to earn the pre-legendary cloak on two characters. My warrior main, and this holy paladin alt. Although I've at least got past the sigils on my druid now.

I did the cloak quest on this toon and I'm actually looking forward to the healing challenge on my shaman. :)

I just did it this Tuesday and it was pretty fun. Highly recommend it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Sure.

As long as I can use my PvP title on all my characters.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]