Leveling Healer

90 Human Paladin
My daughter & I are going to level toons together.
I love playing healer classes and was interested in leveling a Holy Paladin or Resto Shaman.
Are Holy Paladins weaker than other healers, during the leveling process? I ask this because it seems they really only have Holy Shock and Flash Heal for quite a few levels. Also, there's no B.O.A gear for Holy Paladins. Is it worth trying, or should I go with a Shaman instead?

FYI --> The Paladin I am posting with was leveled as a Prot, which is why I am asking in the 1st place.
Edited by Rhonîn on 8/22/2013 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Hmm..no replies?
I'm guessing I'll have to be decisive here...
I believe I'll feel that "incomplete" feeling if leveling a Paladin in mail gear and missing the +5% Int stats at level 50+ (due to not wearing Plate gear in all slots)
Also, their gained abilities seems a bit thin in comparison to other healers at low to mid levels.
Therefore, I am going to roll a Resto Shaman and enjoy life. :-)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's been 25 minutes, there is no reason to bump the thread already (although I guess it got a reply :p).

At low levels it doesn't matter what gear you are wearing, you can wear cloth boas, mail boas, etc. At 85 I'd swap out the boas for plate gear, which you should be doing regardless :p

No healer is really weak in the leveling process, some are stronger than others but at low levels even just having a few spells to cast is fine. Since you already have a pally, why not just level a shaman instead?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Holy priest.
The answer is always holy priest.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The 5% int will barely make a difference, there isn't many int plate below 60 anyway and I've always just ended up using cloth.

At low levels you pretty much have infinite mana, so using flash heals are fine.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Are Holy Paladins weaker than other healers, during the leveling process? I ask this because it seems they really only have Holy Shock and Flash Heal for quite a few levels.

No healer has more than 2 or 3 heals for the first 20 levels or so, but don't worry; it's all you need. Things may have been different, leveling back in Vanilla or something, but these days any healer (and a good number of healer hybrids in a non-healing spec) can successfully heal 5mans even with extremely limited healing kits at low levels.

Looking forward, all healing specs are pretty much equally viable as you continue, too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Holy paladins do fine healing at low levels (as do resto shaman).

As far as BOA, there's so little healing plate available before Wrath that you may as well just keep wearing your BOA gear. The 5% Int loss will be more than made up by the stats on the BOA gear anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Yeah - for holy pally BoA gear, you can grab

- the cloak
- the shield (newly added)
- the 2 trinkets (yes, you can equip 2 of the same BoA trinket; I level all of my healers with them)
- I think there are Int plate heirloom legs available from the guild vendor?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Both paladin and shaman are a lot of fun to heal on. I'm bias with paladins, but my shaman is my second choice (mainly do to ele as an os).

Both would be good to lvl with. Since you have a pally, I would lvl a shaman and get OS holy gear for your pally. Get a tank friend and run a 5 man with them as holy to see if you like it.
Reply Quote
67 Undead Monk
08/22/2013 05:38 PMPosted by Rhonîn
Are Holy Paladins weaker than other healers, during the leveling process? I ask this because it seems they really only have Holy Shock and Flash Heal for quite a few levels.

In my experience, this is what made Holy Paladins strong at lower levels. Those are both strong heals at low levels, and instant or fast to cast. Low-level Holy healing is like whack-a-mole healing in its funnest sense. High-action healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
My daughter & I are going to level toons together.
I love playing healer classes and was interested in leveling a Holy Paladin or Resto Shaman.
Are Holy Paladins weaker than other healers, during the leveling process? I ask this because it seems they really only have Holy Shock and Flash Heal for quite a few levels. Also, there's no B.O.A gear for Holy Paladins. Is it worth trying, or should I go with a Shaman instead?

FYI --> The Paladin I am posting with was leveled as a Prot, which is why I am asking in the 1st place.

there is healing gear
mace sheild and shoulders
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]