Why wont healer classes heal...?

100 Human Rogue
I gots a question, and its not about healer specs, it about hybric dps classes and tank classes that wont throw a heal on a rogue in a scenario, dungeon, lfr, whatever. Whats up with that?

Leave ur responses below!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Tunnel vision.

The same reason people will let themselves die in PvP/PvE without using a personal CD. They just aren't thinking about it or don't expect to have to do it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
When I'm Ret, my healing capabilities are highly limited by mana, holy power and cooldowns / procs. Similar things apply to most other classes. It's not that it's impossible to ever heal, but it's not something that is 100% reliable.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
I mean if they were granted the all-mightly healing powers I would feel like jesus and would want to help others. Hell, I used to do that when I played Druid! I would butt in and off-heal during MSV raids, I would help outside my role all the time, and I felt good about it.

Is it just me that felt that way about heals?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
It depends.

When you're working on challenging content, it's often a dps check. I'd much rather my dps be putting all their resources towards dps, rather than healing. After all, "I got dis".

On fights where some healing is needed, often raidleaders will specify that they want a hybrid/offheal to use a certain CD at that point. Ie platforms on lei shen, ji kun platforms, meg rampage, etc.
Edited by Naér on 8/23/2013 7:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
When I did scenarios on my pally I would go ret and often found that a quick Selfless Healer Flash of Light was more than enough. Sometimes people would drop a bit as I waited for charges but health normally doesn't go down fast enough in normal scenarios for that to be a problem.

In dungeons I rarely don't go as anything other than a healer anymore. When I do dps on a hybrid it's hard for me to not glance at the party's health and toss a heal. I'm guessing people who don't rarely heal so they just aren't used to it.

In LFR well, it's LFR. Usually it's over healed so there's little to heal.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I gots a question, and its not about healer specs, it about hybric dps classes and tank classes that wont throw a heal on a rogue in a scenario, dungeon, lfr, whatever. Whats up with that?

Some will heal you. I do occasionally, when I'm on a dps/tank alt. Because you seem to want direct healing from hybrids:

Paladins

Protadins usually have enough on their minds, or are using their resources for keeping things off you.

Ret paladins have more limited resources, and their heals are pretty weak.

Priests

Shadow Priests have to shift out of Shadowform, unless they have a glyph (which I believe is fairly rare for PvE use).

Shaman

Limited resources and weak heals for both dps specs.

Druids

Usually have to shift forms, and are often using the heals on themselves.

Monks

Limited, weak healing.

Most of these classes have some sort of emergency cooldown (Tranq/AG/VE/Lay on Hands), and Shaman have Healing Rain (which you'd have to stand in to receive healing). These are more potent than any direct heal they can use, but you can't guarantee they'll use them or have them available when you actually need the healing.

A better question/series of questions, I think, is:

Why aren't you doing the following?

- working harder to avoid damage
- vanishing/using Evasion
- using your healing finisher
- using healing potions, healthstones when available, bandages

Finally, most of the instances you mentioned involve a dedicated healer or multiple healers. If you're taking so much damage that you need healing beyond your finisher and whatever the dedicated healer can manage, you need to refer again to the four points I just gave.
Edited by Elethia on 8/30/2013 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
silly rogue you can heal yourself with posion/combo points and also your doing pve in pvp gear

so silly so silly
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Don't rogues still have recuperate or whatever that ability was?
Reply Quote
Don't rogues still have recuperate or whatever that ability was?

Yeah

The OP is only complaining because they're bad.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk

If they were played by better players they could and should heal you. However its kind of hypocritical, because if you played better you probably wouldn't need much, if any, healing from them.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk

Some will heal you. I do occasionally, when I'm on a dps/tank alt.

Paladins

Protadins usually have enough on their minds, or are using their resources for keeping things off you.

Ret paladins have more limited resources, and their heals are pretty weak.

Priests

Shadow Priests have to shift out of Shadowform, unless they have a glyph (which I believe is fairly rare for PvE use).

Shaman

Limited resources and weak heals for both dps specs.

Druids

Usually have to shift forms, and are often using the heals on themselves.

Monks

Limited, weak healing.

A better question/series of questions, I think, is:

Why aren't you doing the following?

- working harder to avoid damage
- vanishing/using Evasion
- using your healing finisher
- using healing potions, healthstones when available, bandages

Finally, most of the instances you mentioned involve a dedicated healer or multiple healers. If you're taking so much damage that you need healing beyond your finisher and whatever the dedicated healer can manage, you need to refer again to the four points I just gave.

Horrible assessment about the hybrids. You are right that the OP should be doing more.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
08/23/2013 12:17 PMPosted by Somurd
Horrible assessment about the hybrids.

Not really. It was a lazy, but not inaccurate assessment.

Most hybrids have weak heals and/or heals dependent on something like a finisher, proc, etc. In a raid setting, it's often not worth the time or resources spent for a non-healer, especially since you should be able to rely on your healers. There are notable exemptions, like phases where damage cannot be dealt (or only limited damage can be dealt) and damage taken is high.

The dynamic changes in dungeons and 5-man scenarios, but dependencies don't. If the healer dies or is swamped or is simply swamped (as can be the case in scenarios) and you know, as a hybrid, that your heals will keep the people alive, then you should step out and heal. Most of the time, though, the people who are complaining about not getting heals are compromising their own situation and aren't worth keeping up, if only to try and teach them the importance of self-preservation.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
08/23/2013 12:17 PMPosted by Somurd

Horrible, short, content-less assessment of the assessment.

Edit:

Re: the OP's point, let me say this from the point of view of an ele shaman. I'll be glad to drop Healing Tide Totem, but if there is a serious need of that, or god forbid, a lesser healing wave, something has gone horribly wrong, and it is highly unlikely ele heals would help more than additional dps.
Edited by Taymage on 8/23/2013 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
I mean if they were granted the all-mightly healing powers I would feel like jesus and would want to help others. Hell, I used to do that when I played Druid! I would butt in and off-heal during MSV raids, I would help outside my role all the time, and I felt good about it.

Is it just me that felt that way about heals?

same reason that rogues don't kick, stun, or avoid the fire.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

Horrible, short, content-less assessment of the assessment.

Horrible and short agreement with the idea that this was a horrible, short, content-less assessment of the assessment.
Edited by Naér on 8/23/2013 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
Unless healers are dead, I expect dps to do their jobs and dps unless their raid cooldown is called for. Not really interested in their gimp healing if things need to die.
Reply Quote
67 Undead Monk
My favorite DPS of all time is the Boomkin who knows how to off-heal. A couple big ugly owl-bears are the only people I've ever wanted to *kiss* in LFD.
Reply Quote
I'm sure it's been said already, but, I do throw off heals as often as I can, it's one thing for me who plays a spec that still uses primarily mana, I can see why ret pallies might not throw many off heals. And I would think it's got something to do with if the people behind those toons have actually played as a healer, or just went for the dps spec, in general, at least my experience is that people who have played healers, have a different mindset, and perhaps a different awareness on what's going on with peoples health, but then again, that's just a theory.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]