Purgatory should be standard for all players

90 Draenei Priest
All the time I hear how devs want us to make choices between heals: efficient heals, fast heals, big heals. Those are supposed to be the staple of every healing spec. The problem is that the real-world conditions of lag and client-server interactions often make it too punishing to do anything more than snap reactions. Running out of mana seems a lesser harm compared to someone dying because you attempted a long cast efficient heal over the expensive fast one.

The solution, I believe, comes from the DK talent Purgatory. I love healing a DK with Purgatory because I know I have time to plan my moves. Even when he's at 1 health I know I have at least a three second Purgatory window before he dies. That gives me time for a big heal, or a trinket, or a cooldown like Void Shift, or two GCDs of instants.

I think we should make Purgatory the standard mechanic for all players. Call it "Mortally Wounded" and give the same period and cooldown. Now healers can start thinking about how they want to heal. There's time to cast that big slow heal even if the tank is at 25%. There's time to spam some efficient heals to top people off, knowing if something changes drastically you have time to change to flash heals. You can wait until "Mortally Wounded" goes off to use that Lay on Hands or Void Shift to make sure you get the most out of it.

The Purgatory ability does have a cooldown, which I think works so that it doesn't become a permanent crutch for every situation, and it makes healing more interesting for me because I tend to shift from healing to absorbs when a DK has the purgatory debuff to give myself some extra breathing room.

The latest interviews seem to indicate that the developers are giving up on the "efficient" heal that people stop using completely after they get out of questing greens. I propose the Purgatory option should be explored instead of turning the game of healing into a choice between "big" and "fast" alone. I'd like to be rewarded for knowing how to triage properly. I just don't want to get blamed because my big heal gets to the server 2 miliseconds after the server decides the tank died.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I don't think it's really as much about efficiency as it is about the long cast times. Current raid mechanics don't allow for such slow heals, because by the time the heal actually goes off the person will either already have been healed by someone else, or will be dead. Your solution wouldn't prevent other healers from healing the target. Who is going to let a tank sit there at 25% while you decide to cast a slow heal?

I like mechanics that speed up slow heals. Like my Rejuvenation Glyph. When I have 3 or more rejuvenations up on the raid, the cast time of my Nourish is reduced by 30%. Combined with haste that makes it plenty fast to use as a filler heal in between other casts.

Alternatively, maybe the "slow" heals could be redesigned to be front-loaded. Like instead of a big heal with a 2.5s cast time, make it an instant heal that triggers a 2.5s global cooldown (which would prevent you from casting anything else, same as a cast time). Still one heal per 2.5s but it makes it relevant.
Edited by Gotnorice on 8/24/2013 9:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Battle res kind of does this also.

I don't think it would work, tanks would just use it like another cooldown as DKs already do with Purgatory, and then you're back to flash healing because you can't waste the "Mortally Wounded" debuff just to save some mana.

Result is a micromanaging pain that doesn't really address the problem of burst-y damage.

Alternatively, maybe the "slow" heals could be redesigned to be front-loaded. Like instead of a big heal with a 2.5s cast time, make it an instant heal that triggers a 2.5s global cooldown (which would prevent you from casting anything else, same as a cast time). Still one heal per 2.5s but it makes it relevant.

Wouldn't happen because of PvP and Penance is a better way to do this anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I don't think it's really as much about efficiency as it is about the long cast times. Current raid mechanics don't allow for such slow heals, because by the time the heal actually goes off the person will either already have been healed by someone else, or will be dead. Your solution wouldn't prevent other healers from healing the target. Who is going to let a tank sit there at 25% while you decide to cast a slow heal?

That was my point. If they don't have the Purgatory debuff, they are not in risk of dying and so you can afford to sit there with a tank at 25% and examine the predictive healing shown on the player's health bar.

When I see the predicted heal will only bring a player to 50%, I toss my heal onto them as well. When it's clear the incoming heal will top them off, I can toss out a HoT or absorb instead.

But I still need time to make those decisions. Maybe it would work to give healers a mini 3s Blessing of Protection so that in a panic situation they could at least buy themselves a window of opportunity to perform a long cast.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
We have a lot more emergency heals than just flash heal types. Tight situations like that are the best part of being a healer.

I feel like a change like this would only serve to encourage bad/lazy play.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
edit, wrong thread >.>
Edited by Weetabix on 8/24/2013 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Well... here's the thing... in most cases if your tank or party/raid in general are getting that low to begin with, then there is either a mechanic in play causing it, or your someone in your group (possibly multiple someones) is terrible.

The first scenario is usually followed by a respite (however brief) or other mechanic that will allow people to be healed out of the "danger" levels.

The second scenario can be harder to deal with. Sometimes, those are the moments that make you feel great about being a healer.

I would not want to see the kind of change you are describing. As Illucia stated, it would just encourage poor game play in the knowledge of that window.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I feel like a change like this would only serve to encourage bad/lazy play

Does Blessing of Protection encourage bad/lazy play? No, because of Forbearance.

Purgatory also has a debuff. I specifically pointed out it's not a crutch you can rely on. It's once every 90s or so at best. Not to mention, at least with Purgatory, you still have to heal the person or they die (which is why I advocate expanding it not BoP).

When a bad streak happens, or a tank forgets to move or whatever, Purgatory stops the panic situation where the tank hits a defensive cooldown AND on top of that all six healers fire off an emergency heal, resulting in a ton of wasted overhealing.

Do you really look forward to the propect of having only two heals and a bunch of 1-3 minute cooldowns? I sure don't. Slow it down so we can triage and think more about the right size heal for the missing health.
Edited by Sx on 8/24/2013 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Does Blessing of Protection encourage bad/lazy play? No, because of Forbearance.

Blessing of Protection is a defensive cooldown usable on one person. It is not essentially an extra life for the entire raid like you're proposing.

There's already a solution to the problem you're describing. It's called performing mechanics properly and being organized.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
There's already a solution to the problem you're describing. It's called performing mechanics properly and being organized.

Performing mechanics properly means using your efficient heal more often than anything else. Who does that? Judging by world of logs, nobody.

The developers are saying the game has probably outgrown the efficient heal. They are basically saying the mana game for healers is over. Is that what you want?

How would you propose we fix that given that we are already at sub-1.5s cooldowns and more instants than we can count? The only way to slow things down is to build in some kind of buffer.
Edited by Sx on 8/24/2013 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Each raid comp comes with 10 or 25 players each with skills and talents for their particular class and spec. Within that 10 or 25 player comp, you should be able to handle any raid mechanic. Some of it may require pre-planning, and some may require well made on the spot decisions, but it is all doable with exactly what we already have.

I have to agree with Illucia. We don't need a get out of jail free card. We need to be prepared for what the encounter brings.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You're not paying attention. The developers are saying the game has probably outgrown the efficient heal. They are basically saying the mana game for healers is over. Is that what you want?

They are in no way saying mana management is over. They're saying they're thinking of getting rid of our base Heal spells because outside of the first week of an expansion they're completely useless. Mana management is always going to be an important part of playing a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
They are in no way saying mana management is over. They're saying they're thinking of getting rid of our base Heal spells because outside of the first week of an expansion they're completely useless. Mana management is always going to be an important part of playing a healer.

I fail to see how if there is no "efficient" heal. It just becomes a game of regen mechanics. We've already seen how patch after patch regen mechanics get abused (Rapture procs, Mana Tide spirit stacking, Mistweavers in general). I haven't felt rewarded for using Heal since the beginning of Cata. If anything, I got blamed for casting it when someone died.

Even if healers OOM on a fight, the blame generally ends up "we need to take less damage, guys" not "hey healer, why are you burning all your mana?" Nobody ranks healers by how much mana they end the fight with (and there's a contingent that would argue you did it wrong by ending the fight with half your mana left).

So I see plenty of people saying nothing's wrong, and yet the entire expansion has been one long argument about mana regen mechanics. I think a new approach is worth trying.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
AHAHAHAHAHAHAno.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
So I see plenty of people saying nothing's wrong, and yet the entire expansion has been one long argument about mana regen mechanics. I think a new approach is worth trying.

And there is nothing wrong with new approaches. I just rather doubt you'll fond much support for this particular idea. Giving everyone a get out jail free card, so to speak, is just going to let them tunnel and ignore things for no other reason then they can. This is not going to make healing any easier for better. It is not going to benefit the tunneling DPS.

Even if healers OOM on a fight, the blame generally ends up "we need to take less damage, guys" not "hey healer, why are you burning all your mana?" Nobody ranks healers by how much mana they end the fight with (and there's a contingent that would argue you did it wrong by ending the fight with half your mana left).

In my raids, if the healer are OOM halfway through the fight, the questions is "what happened?" Blame doesn't get handed out to anyone until the source of the problem is found. Unless we are over healing content. But if we are knowingly overhearing content and ooming halfway through, then the answer is always going to be take less damage.

To be honest, my goal is to end fights with 10% mana left. Having a bunch of extra mana leftover means there was more healing that I could have done. Or I could have thrown a few more smites. Or I have too much spirit and could be trading it for more throughput stats. There areplenty of valid reasons to assume that ending with 50% plus mana is bad.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]