BG Basics

This thread is intended to be a compilation of Basic and generic Rated BG/PVP strategies. Feel Free to add anything I may forget or miss! I will edit to add the good stuff to the top. Remember that there are occasions where there may be an exception to some of these rules.

Stay together - BGs are massed PVP. If you get caught out solo you are most likely going to die. Exception: Sacrificing your body to stall an enemy push.

Heals win BGs - Kill enemy heals, keep yours alive and you win. Use your CC to control enemy healers or to peel enemy dps off of your healers. There are no exceptions to this one.

Always top off your health and mana immediately after a fight. You never know when the next fight is coming. Bandages, food, and drink are cheap. Use them.

Fight at the nodes - HKs do not win BGs on their own. Work the objectives. Exception: any time you individually hold up more than two enemy players from fighting on a node can be a plus for your team.

Stop flag caps - stopping a cap means any allies you have lost defending the node are going to be back at full hp is no more than 30 seconds. This is way more valuable than another HK.

Attack GY spawns - when it is possible - this chokes a response to an attack on a node.

In Rated BGs - Follow your team leader's orders or you won't be invited back. If you want to argue strategy do it after the battle in private chat. Check your ego at start point. Remember that you gotta be someone people want to play with, and NO ONE is In dispensable.

Mind your cooldowns - this isn't arena - that guy you just blew everything on is coming back shortly and he may bring friends. Use your cooldowns appropriately.

Buff at the start - be aware of what buffs stack and which buffs overwrite each other. Summon tables and healthstones. Drop feasts. Also buff every time you rez.

Hide as often as possible - if you aren't actively fighting on a flag and are not a stealth class go hide somewhere you can see the flag and get to it in time to prevent a cap. Casters should always hide where they can still cast freely without LoS issues. It is more difficult to target a caster or ranged who is hiding in a bush than one out in the open especially if you are only casting spells that do not travel.

Understand the terrain - Choke point control wins BGs. Breaking LoS can win or lose you BGs.

Don't be afraid to die - this is not arena - running away is generally not going to benefit your team as much as holding your ground will. Obvious exception is WSG. Another exception is trying to bait enemy defenders off a node.

Sometimes it is okay to die - rezzing at full strength can be better than barely surviving.

Don't always wait for the spirit rez - if you haven't died recently, you have a long rez timer and your flag is under heavy attack, run to your body. Those extra few seconds may buy time for reinforcements to arrive.

Healer priorities - healers should focus on themselves, then other healers, then dps. Option: A strong strat is to have one healer raid healing and another healing them if they need it. This drives undisciplined teams nuts.

Choose your battles - recognize when an objective is a lost cause, and instead of rushing into a fruitless battle move on to another objective. Can vary by BG.

Be unpredictable - Surprise works wonders, any experienced BG player knows what the typical allie/horde strats are. Break up those typical strats and some teams will wilt.

Don’t give up – Sure there will be times when your team is getting roflstomped. But there are also times where you can hang on, catch a break and turn the tide. Often times in the bigger BGs you can at least go make your own fun. In rated BGs no one is going to want to que up with a quitter.
Edited by Basharic on 11/7/2010 3:24 PM PST
Reply Quote

Classes - Composition and General uses in BGs

I'm far from an expert on every class so feel free to correct anything I get wrong. I will update as necessary.

As far as class composition for a BG goes, use what works for you. You will need at least one tank for typical flag running and boss tanking. You will need healers, and you will need a mix of DPS types. I also personally love having a stealth team. Be aware too of who has healing debuff abilities you will want to bring some to weaken enemy heals.

Tanks - Their durability makes them excellent Flag carriers, Flag/node defenders, and obviously tanks for end bosses in AV and Isle. Another wrinkle is that the demolishers in Strand scale with the gear of the driver. You definitely want at least one in most BGs.

Healers - Win BGs. It's that simple. They are generally highly durable, so they can be excellent flag runners. You are usually not going to want them on guard duty unless the node is being fought for. You are going to want a minimum of 1 healer per group in the BG, but there is plenty of wiggle room either way. I personally prefer 3 heals for WSG. 3-4 in AB/strand. 4 in Eye. And as many as I can get in AV and Isle (it won't usually be 8). They should be riding demos every chance they get.

DPS - Variety is better - WoW is not balanced 1v1. What this means is that some classes/specs offer hard counters to others. In addition different classes and damage types offer different benefits in BGs. A Swiss army knife is more useful than a machete in general.

Stealth classes let you put people where you want them without the enemy knowing, excellent for scouting, going behind enemy lines, and for assaulting healers/ranged at the back of a pack.

Ranged classes - There are plenty of places in BGs where you can position them to rain death on your enemies. Additionally they can ride demolishers for protection from damage.

Melee classes are the disruptors. Their job is to get in peoples faces and break their rhythm and focus. A hunter running for his life from a warrior is not going to be nuking much.

CC - learn what CC works where. Some is good for removing enemies from the fight, others are great for choke point defense. There are too many possibilities and uses to cover here. We could have another entire thread dedicated to it.

Healing debuffs are still extremely useful. Many players would even consider them mandatory. Warriors, hunters, mages and rogues all bring a way to weaken heals on targets. Varies by spec in some cases.

Another note on classes: You should have a good working knowledge of what another class can do and when they are likely to do it. 1v1 this is how you can anticipate and counter different abilities, and in BGs it will let you know what you need to do to counter a particular group. This knowledge is usually something that can only be gained through hard experience.
Edited by Basharic on 11/7/2010 5:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
Reserved
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Everything but;

• Follow your team leader's orders or you won't be invited back. If you want to argue strategy do it after the battle in private chat. Check your ego at start point.

Is pretty valid. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen BG raid leaders botting a game.

What it boils down to is play better, harder, quicker with the mindset that you have already won.
Reply Quote
The point was more about arguing during the battle is not good. Rateds are most likely going to take a great deal of team focus. If the leader is not performing to your liking hash it out when not in BG. Ultimately don't join their teams if you don't like the way they do things.
Wasn't about the leader being unquestionable. No good leader is going to take issue with personal initiative used wisely.

Edit: Doh read Botting as Bottling. That particular tip would apply to Rated or Premade BGs, in regular bgs the RL is just another player.
Edited by Basharic on 11/5/2010 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Good basics guide, can't wait for rated BGs to finally get back to the competitive team vs team battles. Its also great to have info like this to help new players get a good start.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Priest
well, fight at node is shaken ground. because several reason.
it is bad if you try to attack or conquer as fight on middle/road will waste time and give you nothing.
while it prove great idea for play defense because you effective delay them, and few second can buy your team to catch up or revive. due to distance enemy has to run
rez at body is risky because ppl could take your token and prevent you to rez there.
Edited by Padaran on 11/5/2010 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
well, fight at node is shaken ground. because several reason.
it is bad if you try to attack or conquer as fight on middle/road will waste time and give you nothing.
while it prove great idea for play defense because you effective delay them, and few second can buy your team to catch up or revive. due to distance enemy has to run
rez at body is risky because ppl could take your token and prevent you to rez there.

The problem with defense fighting on the road is that you are more likely to forget about the node, to the point of where a rogue or druid could just sneak through and cap the flag while you are out.
The rez at body is risky but its a risk vs reward kinda thing, and with the return to graveyard button that we now have it is less risky.
Edited by Trogdoroth on 11/5/2010 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Stay together“ BGs are massed PVP. If you get caught out solo you are most likely going to die. Exception: Sacrificing your body to stall an enemy push.

This reminds me, its all well and good to stall an enemy cap if it means players will be resurrected in time to adequately defend it. However, if it is rarely a wise decision to face off against a bigger force attacking a node you are defending by yourself and has no one waiting on resurrection or will be in time to help, in this case it is better to just abandon the area for another. You are usually more of a help fleeing from a node to help another that has a chance than to be a speed bump for an attacking force that will still get the cap regardless.
Stop flag caps - stopping a cap means any allies you have lost defending the node are going to be back at full hp is no more than 30 seconds. This is way more valuable than another HK.

Also to add to the flip-side of this, when trying to take a node in some cases it is quicker and better to chain CC/control players than it is to outright kill them. That Prot warrior might go down eventually with you beating on it, but it would be much more effective to have his trinket blown and just CC him for 10 seconds and enable you or someone else with you to steal the flag cap.

Also, a point leaning more toward hunters and paladins. Crusader Aura and Aspect of the Pack can be extremely valuable, the faster you to get a place in a battleground the better, especially if the opposing faction is trying to beat you to it.

Anyways, in general, pretty solid advice.

Edited by Jagdtyph on 11/5/2010 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Fight at the nodes - HKs do not win BGs on their own. Work the objectives. Exception: any time you individually hold up more than two enemy players from fighting on a node can be a plus for your team.

The exception is an important point. Don't hold onto the mantra about "never fighting on the roads". If my team is winning AB, and I can engage enemies on the road, I will do so. It delays them from your nodes, and if I die, I'm rezzing right back at the objective anyways.

edit: One of the follow-up critiques is valid. You still have to leave someone back at the node to prevent stealth ninjas. It's very sloppy play to fight on roads while an enemy slips by to cap your node while it is undefended.
Edited by Charäx on 11/5/2010 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
tcf
Most of those are good ideas for people who are new or have a support class.
But really there are alot of times where you follow all those ideas and you will fail.
#1 Be unpredicatable
- In my battle group, the horde know the alliance will rush RH and only defend IBT and TP towers with 2-4 people. They back cap with more. Sometimes it works by intentionally turtling the horde at Balinda. There are other ways to do things that disrupt the other side that result in wins, but I won't lay them all out.
#2 Sacrificial lambs are sometimes the best way to stall for time.
- In Warsong, a good lamb can slow down the other team long enough for your buddies to catch up. Although if your buddies are afk in the gy, it won't work.
#3 Concrete walls will break your head open.
- If trying the same thing over and over is similiar to bashing your head into a wall, stop doing it and try a new approach.
I'd post more.. but I'm hungry.

EDIT: I ate some chips.. so one last thing

If you show up in your green/blue i lvl 150 gear or lower. Don't be the guy who does that, then just afks in the corner. Atleast try to do something. Yes, you are going to be 1 shot by alot of people. But chances are, the other team has someone in just as bad of gear. Queue to play, not to be afk.
Edited by Needonvalor on 11/5/2010 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Stay together“ BGs are massed PVP. If you get caught out solo you are most likely going to die. Exception: Sacrificing your body to stall an enemy push.

This reminds me, its all well and good to stall an enemy cap if it means players will be resurrected in time to adequately defend it. However, if it is rarely a wise decision to face off against a bigger force attacking a node you are defending by yourself and has no one waiting on resurrection or will be in time to help, in this case it is better to just abandon the area for another. You are usually more of a help fleeing from a node to help another that has a chance than to be a speed bump for an attacking force that will still get the cap regardless.

Also to add to the flip-side of this, when trying to take a node in some cases it is quicker and better to chain CC/control players than it is to outright kill them. That Prot warrior might go down eventually with you beating on it, but it would be much more effective to have his trinket blown and just CC him for 10 seconds and enable you or someone else with you to steal the flag cap.

Also, a point leaning more toward hunters and paladins. Crusader Aura and Aspect of the Pack can be extremely valuable, the faster you to get a place in a battleground the better, especially if the opposing faction is trying to beat you to it.

Anyways, in general, pretty solid advice.

Good point I'll add something about choosing your battles.
Reply Quote
Most of those are good ideas for people who are new or have a support class.
But really there are alot of times where you follow all those ideas and you will fail.
#1 Be unpredicatable
- In my battle group, the horde know the alliance will rush RH and only defend IBT and TP towers with 2-4 people. They back cap with more. Sometimes it works by intentionally turtling the horde at Balinda. There are other ways to do things that disrupt the other side that result in wins, but I won't lay them all out.
#2 Sacrificial lambs are sometimes the best way to stall for time.
- In Warsong, a good lamb can slow down the other team long enough for your buddies to catch up. Although if your buddies are afk in the gy, it won't work.
#3 Concrete walls will break your head open.
- If trying the same thing over and over is similiar to bashing your head into a wall, stop doing it and try a new approach.
I'd post more.. but I'm hungry.

EDIT: I ate some chips.. so one last thing

If you show up in your green/blue i lvl 150 gear or lower. Don't be the guy who does that, then just afks in the corner. Atleast try to do something. Yes, you are going to be 1 shot by alot of people. But chances are, the other team has someone in just as bad of gear. Queue to play, not to be afk.

Added a bit about being unpredictable. Thank you.
Reply Quote
Bump as I go off to kill allies.

Come on ya'll! I'm sure I didn't cover everything. Lets wear the new forums smell off this new and shiny site!
Reply Quote
In between SoTA queues today im going to try and write a comprehensive analysis of BGs: strategic terrain and logistics from a horde point of view :P wish me luck

Good Luck, and .... BUMP
Reply Quote
Play with 15 sub rogues. Queue for Strands. Pick up bomb at beginning. Stealth and shadowstep turrets your way to the relic gate. Drop bombs -> Win
Repeat till Grand Marshal/High Warlord.
Edited by Yummi on 11/6/2010 6:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Shameless bump
Reply Quote
80 Orc Death Knight
All are extremely valid points.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]