Pre-Cata and 4.0 Mutilate guide!

100 Worgen Rogue
Dont worry, if he has an invincible hell up and leave :-D
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I'm a little curious as to whether or not the cloak enchant for myself should be Swordguard Embroidery (yes, I leveled tailoring for the carpet), or +22 Agil. I tried some dummy work and couldn't help but feel that my output was lower with the embroidery... any feedback on this? Been reading plenty of mixed reactions and can't help but think that I'm just doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
its a 25% uptime proc which averages to 100ap. 22agi would be 61ep. Roughly from that the cloak would be better but I am no where near 100% certain. I've never been a tailor but can you also apply an enchant like you can with engi gloves now (if you didnt know you can use both hyperspeed accelerators and a glove enchant as well as a cloak enchant and parachute cloak)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
So given the 100ap, the embroidery supposedly runs superior... Maybe I'm not factoring in the uptime well enough because it seems like my dps dropped by maybe 500 at least on the dummies. I'll have to hit it longer to get more procs I suppose. Still a hard decision to make since a lot of ICC would have to rely on those procs with the cooldowns on them being 45 seconds. That's roughly one per phase of anything. I'll have to give it a try, but I think the embroidery erased my +22 agil when I replaced it.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
target dummies are notoriously bad for testing dps. All it takes is one person to come by and put up a debuff and all your testing is null. Take into account a 3-5 min rotation will often have a few hundred dps rng range. The difference between the two should be far less than 500 dps even if I am wrong. The difference you saw is most likely RNG (short fight/random procs), someone else hitting the dummy, or just small errors between the two rotations.

And yes you are correct in a raid situation it is possible you can waste a good bit of your proc, but ideally your dps uptime should be near 100% so none of the procs is wasted and on average you will be doing X dps. Having or not having a proc should not affect the raids ability to kill a short lived add (if it did you would most likely lack the dps to kill the boss itself)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Awesome! I'll get working on it asap. Thanks for the feedback, and more so the guide! This noob has a long ways to go. Looking forward to hearing more as cata progresses.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Rogue
Bump for Rallik. I miss that guy. =(
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
da bump
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
Ive been gone for almost a year and things have changed ALOT. Im definitely saving this page as my favorites and trying to see what i can do. Coming from Combat...you can imagine how confused i am. I have never played Assassination I don't even know what Mutilate means...shoot I've never played Subtlety but its my second spec because i don't have 2 daggers LOL... I'm a mess and i just hope this guide can help me get things back on track. Problem is i have no clue where to start. i guess get a dagger lol...don't be fooled by my guild name no help there..they are dead..moved to other guilds... i literally just signed back in 2 days ago i guess thank god i found some type of guide.. even if all this changes a little bit when Cata comes out at least ill have some type of path to follow..again thank you....

...now where did i put that Cardinal Ruby.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
IMO for pvp backstab is useless for a mut rogue. It costs more energy and does less damage then mutilate when you are spec Assassination. Rupture with Venemous Wound will get you more energy back more consistently then Murderous Intent, imo.

I can't see your spec (firewall issues) but I've found that since the changes, blackjack is one of our most powerful abilities. You can make any offensive class useless for 8 secs ontop of the sap. Also deadened nerves combined with quickening and improved recuperate (t1 of the combat tree) will give you some nice survivability to somewhat offset the lack of mobility AS has. You can potentially have +16% damage reduction ontop of an HOT that heals 2k a tick. Thats a nice boost.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Might want to add an acronym section. New rogues coming to read this (and even other classes) won't know what they all mean.

Other than that, my novice eyes like what they see! ;)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
da bump

Blizzard states in the "Welcome Rogues" thread above that bumps are considered spam =X
Reply Quote
7 Orc Warrior
IMO for pvp backstab is useless for a mut rogue. It costs more energy and does less damage then mutilate when you are spec Assassination. Rupture with Venemous Wound will get you more energy back more consistently then Murderous Intent, imo.

I can't see your spec (firewall issues) but I've found that since the changes, blackjack is one of our most powerful abilities. You can make any offensive class useless for 8 secs ontop of the sap. Also deadened nerves combined with quickening and improved recuperate (t1 of the combat tree) will give you some nice survivability to somewhat offset the lack of mobility AS has. You can potentially have +16% damage reduction ontop of an HOT that heals 2k a tick. Thats a nice boost.

This is actually false on all accounts. BS, afaik, hits and crits for more than Mutilate even in Assassination. The issue is that it costs a lot of energy and the average energy/cp is not nearly as good as Mut's.

With Murderous Intent, and especially with the BS glyph, BS is hands down better than Mutilate at target <35% health. Way better. Do the math factoring in energy cost, crit chance per BS per attack(30e or 25e if it crits w/ BS glyph) and you'll see you're wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue

I heard this thread was about pvp.

Also: Hi2Dirac.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I see that roguedps guide suggests using mongoose on both weapons. I've been testing mongoose/beserking. Has anyone else tried this and seen any negative affects to dps? Or is it better to just stick with mongoose/mongoose?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]