Why the Trolls and QQers won't last here.

(Locked)

100 Orc Death Knight
What exactly happens when someone gets down-voted, does their comment just get dark and unreadable? How many down-votes does it take?
100 Troll Rogue
Rejoice, and be glad!
85 Human Warrior
We'll see how well the self-policing works. I really don't have high expectations of it, but I really do hope it works.
90 Dwarf Paladin
Lets all hope this is the death of the forum trolls.
I doubt anything could destroy the QQers though.

How do you kill that which has no life?

You beat it with a blunt object until it stops moving.
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
You said don't press the dislike button. Reverse psychology got the best of me.

'Course, then I got the best of reverse psychology and did the opposite of what it did! The like button has been pressed. Take that, reverse psychology!!
80 Draenei Paladin
Also to clarify what Lindrea was saying: The most common way us "WoWers" see it is on Wowhead when someone posts something unrelated or unhelpful to the topic at hand. When said post is deemed unneeded or as a troll people downrate the comment and it becomes unreadable unless you choose to click and read it yourself.

Otherwise, the new system may be helpful with getting rid of trolls and probably quite helpful, but whining or whatever you want to call it will always be here. People will perceive a comment as whining where someone else will see it as a suggestion. Just use the ability to downrate and uprate posts wisely and responsibly and this will be a great place for discussion.
82 Troll Death Knight
The problem with a Like/Dislike system is that it doesn't require a reasonable argument backing up the Like/Dislike.

Unreasonable arguments that are popular will be heavily Liked, and reasonable arguments that aren't popular will be heavily Disliked. It's ultimately a lazy way to determine what is and isn't worth reading, and I hope Blues won't dismiss valid posts just because said posts aren't well-liked by other posters.
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Unreasonable arguments that are popular will be heavily Liked, and reasonable arguments that aren't popular will be heavily Disliked. It's ultimately a lazy way to determine what is and isn't worth reading, and I hope Blues won't dismiss valid posts just because said posts aren't well-liked by other posters.

I'm sure they won't. Everything will have to be taken with a grain of salt. This is some rather nice functionality. I'm sure this will prove especially useful in the technical support and customer service forums.
85 Orc Warrior
I just hope it doesn't turn into a big popularity contest. Unfortunately, I can see this becoming very much abused.

This pretty much. There's a good chance these forums are going to end up like Youtube where every dissenting opinion gets voted down.

And people will post something like "34 people didn't hide thier kids"

Although, that is kinda funny. I don't see it being abused too much, if there's a limit and you can enable views of disliked posts. If an army of trolls goes around disliking everything, say, they could maybe only dislike 10 posts a day? That and/or something like "This post has had too many dislikes." With a show button so you can see the post

I can see pretty much everybody "abusing" it. Abuse is a very vague term though. What I mean is, there's probably going to be plenty of people out there who never abuse it in the sense that they don't deliberately dislike posts just for the sake of disliking them, but will then turn around and dislike someone that beat them at an internet argument or something.

WoW has 12 million subscriptions or something, all of whom can now actively post on this forum again. I just don't like the idea of say, disagreeing with someone who's e-popular on here and then getting my comments darkened/removed despite the fact that they fit within the scope of the forum's rules.

Worse still is going to be the people that actively buy into the popularity contest aspect of it. How long until we start seeing highlighted posts in blue threads that are "Like this post if you like dwarf females!"?

Maybe the community at large will surprise me with their maturity and intelligence...but I highly doubt it.
100 Orc Death Knight
What if a post is both trollish and spammish, and I also (naturally) dislike it? Which of the "dislike" options has the most weight I wonder?
85 Troll Shaman
I just hope it doesn't turn into a big popularity contest. Unfortunately, I can see this becoming very much abused.

I've seen this on other forums and if there are privileges associated with being highly rated then things devolve very quickly into circle jerks (pardon the language, it's actually the technical term!) where more or less explicitly people say "I'll rate you up you rate me up", and it soon becomes unrelated to content. The only way to avoid is to have a limit on likes or whatever, or make it not worthwhile "farming" people to trade likes with.
Dislike button. Use it. Treasure it. Love it. But not me please <3

Unfortunately gratuitous use of the dislike button hasn't gotten rid of the QQ and trolls on the SC2 forums yet :(
85 Orc Warrior
Oh look, a perfect example already.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/977987921
30 Tauren Druid
I hope they'll be different, but old habits die hard.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]